samuraikid

[Free]Rootkit scan taking 1h (2,701 files)

Hello all ! I recently formated my laptop and installed Kaspersky free edition everything is ok Full Scan, Quick scan run smooth but when Kaspersky app starts the rootkit scan it takes 1h for scan 2,701 while cpu/memory/disk are on low values.

I think this is too much time for a simple task anybody else experiencing this problem ? Thanks

This is my system specifications

-= Information for laptop EasyNote TE69KB =-
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64 (1803 build 17134)
Motherboard: Packard Bell EasyNote TE69KB
CPU: AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics  1.4GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8200 / R3 Series, 0.5 GB

Display: RAM: 7 GB
Storages:
USB: ...
PC works: 0 days, 19 hours, 4 minutes, 9 seconds
IP address
Download speed: average ≈ 33,9 Mbps
ping ≈ 19 m

I do not have the K Free Edition but on my KIS( see my signature below), a rootkit scan takes about 20/21 minutes. Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate how many files this is in the details of the Reports section but having looked at the rootkit scan just as it reached its end on one occasion I feel sure that my scan is covering less files than yours so 1 hour may not be unduly long. Given its size the Rootkit scan does seem to be disproportionately  long compared the files covered in, say, a vulnerability scan. I had always assumed that it was simply that a Rootkit scan has to examine the files it chooses in a more time consuming manner to do its job properly .

PS Is there a way of checking how many files a Rootkit scan covers in the Reports section? 

Thanks  

FWIW

The Details of the Rootkit Scan can be found (curiously!) by

Right click Kaspersky Internet Security icon on the Taskbar

Left click Kaspersky Internet Security > Scan> Task Manager

Data is under Recent Scans 

Rootkit Scan 2837 Files

Click Detailed Report Total Duration 40 minutes 36 secs.

Dell Dimension c521
Processor AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.40GHz
Installed RAM 4.00GB (3.44GB Usable)
32Bit Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 Build 17134.376
KIS paid v19.0.0.1088(c)

Hope this helps.

Download the free Kaspersky  TDSSKiller. It scans for rootkits, and takes a fraction of the time.

Edited by Fenderman1

Four posts are toast.

Hi mike,

The topic is : [Free]Rootkit scan taking 1h (2,701 files)

The topic is not: "Hey guys, I'm gonna hijack some one elses topic thread to ask unrelated questions."

The topic is not: "Why Tdsskiller is not part of the KIS app."

Please stay on topic. Please do not butt into other peoples topic threads to ask your own questions. Please do not steal other peoples topic threads. I have asked you many times in private. After much frustration, I am going public. You can contribute direct assistance to the Original Poster, or open your own topic thread. 

I wanted to go to the point Mike talked of kas rootkit automatic search take almost same time that full scan of computer/laptop

Thanks

Edited by samuraikid
Full search for Full Scan

Thanks Richbuff. Your point is noted and I have started another thread. I was simply looking for information. It can be difficult at times to ascertain if a new thread is required. I appreciate that threads can be high-jacked. In this case that was not my intention and it will never be my intention to deliberately divert users from a solution for the original poster.

I am not and never will be a deliberate spoiler 

mikethebike

Wow well no one wants to get the job

Kas support answer

"The rootkit scan is a processes that is design to run while the computer is being used so it uses less resources from the system in order to avoid slowing it too much therefor it takes a long time to scan a few files.
It's a completely normal behavior of Kaspersky.
If you have more questions related with Kaspersky free tools please refer to the help forum at this url: https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/forum/4-kaspersky-internet-security-anti-virus-kaspersky-free-for-windows/
or alternatively check the url: https://help.kaspersky.com/KFA/2019/en-US/101565.htm

Thanks. "

samuraikid, I clearly have to be careful what I say here but have a look at my thread where I mention my rookit scan times and number of files scanned

mikethebike 

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.