Steve MacLellan

KTS 2017 suddenly fails to update when prior update ran correctly - toggling setting "Use/do Not use proxy server" [moved]

Kaspersky Total Security 2017 failed/refused to update this morning (29 Oct 2018) when the previous update (performed yesterday, 28 Oct 2018) ran correctly. This is the second time this year this has happened.  I have been using Kaspersky for more than 10 years, have been extremely satisfied with their products and product support, and have never had any issues/problems until these two recent fail to update events.  Kaspersky's people responded to the first event by stating that I needed to install the 2017 version of Kaspersky Total Security, which in fact was already installed and running, so that part of their response wasn't helpful. However, in that same response they also said to change the setting for use of a proxy server to "do not use proxy server", which I did try, and that solved the problem.  Today, 29 Oct 2018, Kaspersky again refused to perform the routine update, when the update done yesterday worked correctly.  Before contacting Kaspersky again on this issue, I went to the proxy server setting, changed it back to "use proxy server", and the update went forward as it should.  My question is simply, does Kaspersky have a problem with its US servers, or, does Kaspersky change how it accesses it's servers within the update packages?  The problem occurring earlier this year coincided with Kaspersky's server outages in the US. Has anyone else observed this need to swap proxy server state to get updates to run?  I would greatly appreciate feedback on this.

B) Don't know if can comment on this "Moved post" but here's my thoughts

on this - Update issue : All the users have problem with failed Updates

and doesn't exist a steady fix..The best approach is keep rebooting

the PC - suddenly  the Updates get to normal by itself : Update

to 2018 or 2019 | May improve updating the dataBases

Also review this article - Link : https://support.kaspersky.com/12910

* With the roll back of "Proxy server" to its default, made the

database Update work again. That's great you learned a trick..!

Thanks for the response. Since I have not been able to determine if Kaspersky's update contains server proxy directives, and since nothing else changes on my end, the assumption is the problem is either an issue with Kaspersky's server here in the western US, or, something in the previous update toggles the proxy server setting.  Kaspersky has had my back for many years for PC protection and I've faithfully kept it updated and have set it to keep a tight reign on things, but I also am very careful about which websites i visit, so when the update failed earlier this year, my first thought was I had somehow managed to get infected by something. As well as contacting Kaspersky with hopes they would help me that event, I also downloaded and temporarily installed AVG to see if it turned up anything. it did catch a couple of very minor trojans that Kaspersky had missed, but those items were actually shown to be non sequiter (nuisances), having no effect on any of my programs or anything else I was doing. So having assured myself the problem was not a virus or a new kind of trojan, and knowing that the update problem coincided with Kaspersky experiencing a server outage at the time, it looks like toggling the proxy server use is the simplest "fix" for now.  It will be interesting to see if this issue continues when i upgrade to the latest version when my current subscription nears expiration. Thanks again, and enjoy winter up there.

:) Thanks for posting back : I understand your frustration, but in order to

Fix bugs whether is on Updates, blocked websites, proxy servers..Etc.

you've to try the suggestions provided on the forums

1) You didn't go thru the diagnose - Update issues on the above link..?

2) To update from 2017 To 2019 - You don't need to wait for expiration 

day of your subscription:  Just keep your "Subscription data" when the

Uninstaller wizard ask for it and you're entitled to Use the same

20 - Characters code of your version 2017 : Here's the KTS download

Link : https://www.kaspersky.ca  :  open the link and scroll down

to the 2nd group of products >> Locate KT Security and click

on - Update - Downloaded + install it after : Good Luck 

* Regarding the question if "Kapserksy has problems with

its US servers" when ready ask klab Tech support..!

Edited by i n d i o

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.