Imp1.3

Google Chrome is using the webcam [merged with redux]

after opening a few new tabs I received this from Kaspersky. 

Anyone know why this happens and if this is a concern? 

I made the webcam set now to Restricted mode in Kaspersky since then.

Edit: Nothing from Kaspersky Quick Scan

Edited by Imp1.3

Hello Imp1.3, depends on the site you were visiting. If the site (or an extension on Google Chrome) is trying to use your camera, Kaspersky warned you.

9 minutes ago, Imp1.3 said:

I made the webcam set now to Restricted mode in Kaspersky since then.

Good choice.

Thank you @The Shield. What do I need to do? It was a couple of news sites I believe!

Edit: Malwarebytes Premium said nothing detected when issue happened and also after manual scan

Edited by Imp1.3

So I posted earlier about Google Chrome wanting to access the webcam, 

, where I since set the webcam access manually in Kaspersky to 'Restricted'. 

However I have narrowed the pattern of attempted calls to access my webcam down and it is a little disturbing. Google Chrome attempts to use the webcam when I 

1) Sign into Google Mail
2) Access Linkedin.com

also 3) Where Device Census attempts to use the webcam. 

In light of a plethora of global events regarding privacy concerns, what is the reason for all this? Who is behind it? Why would someone need to capture my face whilst browsing these personal sites - identity theft is a risk these days.

Is this all normal or perhaps is there something more at work, eg someone hacking here? Can anyone give me an insight? 

Much appreciated.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.