Hi!

Does Kaspersky Free have System Watcher? I checked in the program settings (although you can't change them), and I saw System Watcher in the list. Is it a new feature? Because in a blog post I read from Kaspersky, they said that the Free version did not have System Watcher.

If Kaspersky Free does have System Watcher, is there no difference between Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Free (except the ability to change settings)?

steel9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steel9 said:

I checked in the program settings (although you can't change them)

I don't quite understand your quote above.?  (although you can't change them) if that

component - System Watcher - appears greyed out : How you manage to checked

Found this screenshot that shows..The included protection features on KFA

Capture.PNG.c71ce3260342580e533ec6ebe51758f1.PNG

it may help or wait for a member. Who has KFA to confirm or deny if System watcher was add it..?

Edited by Indio

3 hours ago, Indio said:

I don't quite understand your quote above.?  (although you can't change them) if that

component - System Watcher - appears greyed out : How you manage to checked

Found this screenshot that shows..The included protection features on KFA

it may help or wait for a member. Who has KFA to confirm or deny if System watcher was add it..?

I don't think you have the latest version of Kaspersky Free. The one I tried had System Watcher, but it said "to change settings you need to buy the full version" or something similar (everything was greyed out).

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, harlan4096 said:

KFA2019 has System Watcher...

Does that mean KFA and KAV (Kaspersky Anti-Virus) are equal protection-wise (except for settings)?

I heard somewhere that System Watcher was limited in KFA (eg. the encrypted files System Watcher can restore in an eventual ransomware attack was limited in KFA), but I couldn't find a source. Is that true?

Edited by steel9

There is not much info about the limitations of SW in KFA2019, maybe KL Support has the answer...

32 minutes ago, harlan4096 said:

There is not much info about the limitations of SW in KFA2019, maybe KL Support has the answer...

Kaspersky does not provide support for KFA, they refer you to the forums and knowledge base (according to this page https://support.kaspersky.com/12968). When submitting support tickets, KFA is not an option when you are selecting the product

Posted (edited)

Yes, the 2019 (GDPR) edition does have system watcher. 2018 does not.

3 hours ago, steel9 said:

Does that mean KFA and KAV (Kaspersky Anti-Virus) are equal protection-wise (except for settings)?

I heard somewhere that System Watcher was limited in KFA (eg. the encrypted files System Watcher can restore in an eventual ransomware attack was limited in KFA), but I couldn't find a source. Is that true?

Yes they are equal, however with the free version (2019, GDRP) you have no control over protection modules. You do in 2018.
However if you previously had a paid subscription to KAV, you can just import those settings (if you exported them) and it'll work the same. I'm not sure if they are going to patch that out. But for now it works.

paywall.jpg
^ Definition of a paywall. Apparently it also have network attack blocker, but no firewall. Not sure how that one works .....

Edited by vBDKv