mark7sys

[For me] KRD 18.0.11.0(a) freezes immediately at Linux desktop

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 boots / starts up perfectly for me, but I cannot configure it to use my wired (cable) Internet connection no matter what I do.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018 (from a USB flash drive) boots to the Linux desktop and appears to automatically and successfully utilize my wired Internet connection.  Unfortunately, the program freezes / locks up within 3 seconds of reaching the desktop.  [The CPU graph halts and the system clock stops ticking.]

I can use the mouse for 3 seconds.  The Rescue application will not launch.  I opened properties of the K icon in the task bar, but it only deals with properties of the launcher.  I have no known way of identifying the KRD version I am using from within the program, and probably wouldn’t have time to do it even if I knew how.

I would report the file version of the krd.iso I have, but it has no file version.

NOTE:  The drive contains the file “krd_version.txt” which reads “Kaspersky Rescue Disk 18.0.11.0(a) (built at 2018.05.29 12:17:59)”.

Does anyone else suffer with KRD locking up when it reaches the desktop, and is there any solution?

[ I wonder if KRD is compatible with Intel’s  Haswell microcode 306C3_24: this is the only brand-new element in my computer (apart from the OS). ]

------------------------------------------------
[ SYSTEM OVERVIEW ]
OS – Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1803 (Redstone 4 / “April 2018 Update”) build 17134.81 {aka Windows Version 10.0.17134.81}
OS Host – 3.64 TiB Toshiba N300 P/N HDWQ140XZSTA HDD
MOBO – ASRock Z97 Extreme6
    UEFI vs. 2.80 w. Haswell microcode 306C3_24 (latest as of 2018-05-29)
CPU – Pentium G3258 {Anniversary Edition} (Haswell Refresh, CPUID 306C3)
GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, DirectX 12
    Driver 24.21.13.9793 (latest as of 2018-05-22)
RAM – 24 GB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-1866
POWER SUPPLY – Antec 'TruePower New' TP-650 (~4 years old), 110V
    ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

Hi.

Can you navigate in folders with FileManager, run applications (other than RescueTool) ?

Try to get trace file https://support.kaspersky.com/14223. And send traces to me.

Also try to load in "Limited graphic mode".

I neglected to mention that I had tried booting “Limited graphic mode”: this makes no discernible difference.

I set up trace mode.

I can open the terminal and can launch Firefox.  I only have about 4 seconds in which to navigate in the File Manager; I see that the log “KLMNT_2018.06.09_11.48.43_mount.log” was produced, but no log in the form “KRT.18.*.log” appears.  I assume the latter is only produced when the KRD application is launched, which I am not able to do.  [It is odd that I can launch Firefox, but when I try to launch the KRD application, nothing appears to happen.]

The folder “KRD2018_Data” was not created on any of my hard drives.  From Windows I cannot find any log files on the USB flash drive, either.  (They must be hidden because I know they are there.  A new one is added whenever I start from USB in trace mode.)

So, sadly, I have no trace files to offer.

2 часа назад, mark7sys сказал:

I can open the terminal and can launch Firefox

Can you do it only within 4 seconds?

2 часа назад, mark7sys сказал:

So, sadly, I have no trace files to offer.

Really sadly :(.

Please try to get hardware info https://support.kaspersky.com/14233. And send archive to me. 

Also try fast manipulation "K => Leave => LogOut". And in command line "startx" and Enter.

I can start Firefox; it loads Kaspersky’s web page and freezes. I reboot and I open the terminal and that freezes. No, I can’t get much done in 4 seconds.

The hardware info section freezes in about 4 seconds, too. I tried a dozen times, but I couldn’t get it to save a report to a flash drive. I could get as far as “The hardware information file will be copied to <device>”. I never received the message that “<filename> file has been successfully saved ...”

Re. K > Panel > Logout > Logout > startx … after starting the X server I am returned to the desktop where I see the message that a network connection has been established. By this time the system has frozen / locked up.

I guess this is a hopeless case. Thanks for trying.

I have discovered – of all the inscrutable things – that when my Blu-ray / DVD drive is plugged into an ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller, I am unable to boot Linux-based distros or utilities from either USB or DVD.  But when the optical drive is connected to an Intel SATA controller, I can boot Linux-based distros and utilities from either USB or DVD.

I have not been able to test this with KRD 2018 because YUMI does not yet support KRD 2018 and I have no free media on which to install it.  But I thought I’d post my results here in case anyone cares to know.

Sorry to have troubled you there over my bizarre and isolated problem.

В 14.06.2018 в 18:48, mark7sys сказал:

I have not been able to test this with KRD 2018 because YUMI does not yet support KRD 2018 and I have no free media on which to install it.  But I thought I’d post my results here in case anyone cares to know.

Please report here the results for KRD 2018.

At last KRD 2018 is working well for me.  It’s great having a good rescue drive that connects easily to the internet.

Seems unfortunate that the desktop is limited to 1024 x 768.  I expected Linux to come packed with drivers for higher resolutions than that.  I suppose one could break out the terminal and install better drivers.

Anyway, congratulations on an excellent upgrade.  Much appreciated.  I will be evaluating other Kaspersky products now.

В 09.06.2018 в 02:57, mark7sys сказал:

GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, DirectX 12

12 часов назад, mark7sys сказал:

Seems unfortunate that the desktop is limited to 1024 x 768.  I expected Linux to come packed with drivers for higher resolutions than that.  I suppose one could break out the terminal and install better drivers.

It seems that you need proprietary firmware from NVidia (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123735).