NVTesla

KIS 19 Causing Resolving Host delays on Chrome [cross post > merged]

Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great day.

I just came here to report a bug I started encountering after installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 (19.0.0.1088a).
Basically, the bug (or issue?) happens on my web browsers and causes them to return different error messages when trying to load a page, sometimes it's ERR_TIMED_OUT and sometimes it's ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE. This only happens with KIS 2019 and the errors stop occurring when I temporarily disable the protection. Also, usually a simple refresh solves the issue but having to hit F5 every time is a bit annoying.
PS: I remember facing a similar issue with Kaspersky 2016 (or 2017, not sure) when it first came out but it kinda disappeared on its own after a few days.

Thanks for reading, any help would be much appreciated! :D

Yes, I recognise this. The new version of Kaspersky seems to be having some issues with encrypted connections. I have been getting time outs, slow connections and errors including ERR_TIMED_OUT and ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE too.

The solution is to add the website to the exclusions in the section:

Settings

Additional

Network

Encrypted Connections Scanning/Manage Exclusions

Or just select Do Not Scan Encrypted Connections.

I'm not convinced the scanning of encrypted connections increases your security to be honest and I didn't have an issue with the 2018 product but have no access to a system running it as I updated to the 2019 product. Going to stick with it until they sort it out.

Cheers!

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your reply. Now that you're mentioning encrypted connections, this is exactly the same issue I had with Kaspersky 2016 when it came out. I guess we'll have to wait for Kaspersky to patch it.
More infos here: 

*See bug 1620997.

Edited by NVTesla
added an S (correction)

I have just spent a few frustrating hours trying to troubleshoot a new problem with browsing via Google Chrome.

Visits to new websites or simply opening a new tab (with Google as the default address) suddenly resulted in delays of quite a few seconds (instead of instantly before) and "Resolving host..." appearing in the bottom left of my Chrome screen.

Thinking it might be use of my ISP's DNS, I switched to Cloudflare DNS - but this didn't fix it.

Then I remembered that there was a KIS update this morning - improved for GDPR apparently!

So I de-installed KIS 19 and hey presto, no more "Resolving host.." and instant response once more.

I then re-installed KIS 19 from the Kaspersky.co.uk website (just to see if I could recreate the problem). Sure enough, once installed and KIS was fully working, I was back to slow response on web browsing and that "Resolving host..." message every time.

I almost decided to choose another provider, but being the loyal Kaspersky chap I am, I decide instead to downgrade and managed to find a link to KIS 18 on the Kaspersky site.

Am now back happily running KIS 18 with absolutely no delays etc.

To stop KIS 19 creeping back in again, I've changed the Update Settings to "Do not download new versions..." on "New Application versions".

I may try KIS 19 in a few weeks time - hopefully all the teething problems will be sorted by then!

Hope this helps someone.

Scenario:

• Windows 7 Pro
  • Chrome Version 67.0.3396.62 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • KIS 19.0.0.1008 (bad)
  • KIS 18.0.0.405 (Good!!)

I had a similar problem with KIS 2019. Had to disable something in the network settings (under Settings > Advanced > Network) that's related to encrypted connections. I can't tell you what's the name of the setting because I have KIS in French. But you should definitely check that out.
image.png.ad75c97011d6393495d7af98ad6ee9a9.png

I'm having some issues too but mostly while updating. Can you send me the link that you found of KIS 18? 

23 hours ago, NVTesla said:

I had a similar problem with KIS 2019. Had to disable something in the network settings (under Settings > Advanced > Network) that's related to encrypted connections. I can't tell you what's the name of the setting because I have KIS in French. But you should definitely check that out.

The "Resolving host..." problem I had with KIS 19 affected not just https sites but http ones too......

Posted (edited)

It’s not just Chrome it also affects Firefox as well.  Looking at Firefox the URLs are being refered via Kaspersky.  This is on a fresh install of Windows 10 1803 with KAV2019.

Edited by AStaley

I had to disable SSL Scanning too.

From one moment to another I could not access some SSL sites any more.

E.g.

amazon.de

I only got in Google Chrome the message:

ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE

Even after I started investigating this Issue and was surfing https://forum.kaspersky.com, some minutes later I got the same error on this website

Closing Kaspersky helped and when Kaspersky is open, to disable SSL scanning. Hope Kaspersky fixes this soon.

I am using Kaspersky Anti Virus 19.0.0.1088(a)

Investigating my issue further it appears as if the problem is with Malwarebytes 3.5.1 Premium, quitting the application resolves the issue.  I’ve raised a support ticket with both Kaspersky and Malwarebytes.

2 hours ago, Cmdr_Michael said:

I had to disable SSL Scanning too.

From one moment to another I could not access some SSL sites any more.

E.g.

amazon.de

I only got in Google Chrome the message:

ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE

Even after I started investigating this Issue and was surfing https://forum.kaspersky.com, some minutes later I got the same error on this website

Closing Kaspersky helped and when Kaspersky is open, to disable SSL scanning. Hope Kaspersky fixes this soon.

I am using Kaspersky Anti Virus 19.0.0.1088(a)

I have the same issue plus the never ending updates.

Version 2019 is quite powerful and light but is full of bugs in my machine, it is annoying.

Same Problem with Anti Virus! I Update from 2018 (no Problems) to 2019 (ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE, slow Loading on some Websites etc....

For now i disable Encrypted Connections Scan. 

So please fix this! 

Thank you!

Same here, both on my desktop with Windows 7 and on my laptop with the last Windows 10 updates. It's annoying, even with the HTTPS workaround, which is really insecure as most pages use some form of the protocol nowadays and disabling it shouldn't be a solution for this. I've also downgraded to 18, and I've lost ALL my firewall rules which is really disappointing. I've trusted Kaspersky for years now and this is just unacceptable, it's been over a week since this was notified and there isn't any official response?

I've just registered to complain about this. It's plainly unprofessional to have a bug of this magnitude and severity in a final version of a product.

Here the same problem with KIS 2019 and Chrome. Reported it just now at Customer Support. Hope they fix it soon.

Same issue. I've been on eBay most of the day without any problems then suddenly I got the ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE message and it's been continuing that way for an hour so far. No other website I visit is affected. If I use my phone to access on the same network there is no problem so it's not as if eBay has just died.

Very frustrating. I'll try a few more tests and then submit a full report to Customer Support.

The solution for Chrome is: 

1. Insert the address in the URL bar: chrome://flags

2. Find the setting:  TLS 1.3

3. Change this setting to Disabled

All works fine from now on!!

Have a good day...

Well, I got mixed reactions from Support now.
I got one reaction stating that they can reproduce the problem and it is escalated to another department.
And a reaction which is asking me to alter my whole system (remove "incompatible" programs), Chrome settings, some kind of cleaner that cleans my hosts-file (among others) and so on. And if that is not working, forcing a clean Windows start with all kind of things disabled. In theory that is save but in the real world then can cause big troubles when restarting with things enabled again because Win 10 is not recognizing it anymore. It is a long list and it feels a bit like I am a guinea pig ....

Will wait for now for other reactions and/or bug fix. For now I have SSL Scan in KIS 2019 disabled and everything works fine.

Any news on this?

I also had to turn off TLS 1.3 in Chrome. Kaspersky Version 2019.

If it helps (to get Kaspersky to look into this issue), I too have this problem with Kaspersky Free (ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE in Google Chrome frequently)

Posting on the forum will not push the issue. Creating tech support ticket via my.kaspersky.com does.