Hello,

I have problems with Kaspersky Internet Security v.18 but I suspect it´s some kind of virus and need help with this because I don´t know how to resolve it.

Lately, KIS scan has become very annoying - every single day it starts a complete verification and slows down the computer to a point it´s not possible to work with it.

These scans last for more than 2 hours, every single day. Sometimes they don´t even finish. I tried changing the settings to once a month but the next day it starts again.

The computer has other signs that make me think it´s a virus, etc. It keeps freezing completely or shutting down by it´s own, or restarting for no reason. I have serious difficulty in updating Windows and can´t update Adobe Acrobat. Everything takes too long, more than I remember to be normal on this computer, including opening programs. Start up can take some time too, it drags at the beginning and seems to have difficulty entering windows. Task manager has more than 100 processes listed and it seems to affect mostly CPU and memory.

I used several programs to scan the computer and none of them found anything. System File checker didn´t find anything wrong.

Kaspersky never found anything, not now and never in any of the last years I´ve used it.

I suspect this infection has some years but everyone always tells me it´s normal for the computer to lag so much but I don´t think it is.

I´m not sure if I should add some information about the computer. If needed or any other info, please ask.

If there´s any way to resolve this,  I´d very much like to know and would be thankful if someone could help.

You might want to do a disk scan in case there's some corrupted sectors on disk. Another thing that could be happening is that your 'profile' is corrupted somewhere. But I would guess its a hard disk / SSD corrupted data, sectors. If you do a scan disk, be sure to check the auto fix sectors option.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I´ll try a scan disk but I suspect it´s really some virus.

About the corrupted profile I don´t know how I can check that.

I´ve done the disk scan and it says everything is ok.

I scanned twice, first through windows and the "properties" of the computer and second using cmd checkdisk.

Was this the scan you were talking about?

I´m using Windows 10, latest version. Have 4 GB RAM but have no special programs on the computer, we use mostly for internet.

Yes, the chkdsk is what I meant. But you have to make sure it checks for bad sectors. So in a command window it would be like this:

chkdsk /f C:

But this is only if you didn't scan for bad sectors. The /f tells windows to Fix sectors, if corrupted.

However, I'm only guessing at what could be the issue with all the errors you get, that look like window issues to me, or else disk issues. Is this an older computer system? I mean, it almost sounds like bad RAM as well, especially with random shutdowns, restarts and other errors

How about the more than 100 processes on task manager that make the computer slow? I´m sure I´m not using some. It´s just too many. And why did I had, some times, simple windows apps, like calculator and  others that I never even opened in the session?

--> Below, system info:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.1]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. Todos os direitos reservados.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>systeminfo

Host Name:                 ACER-PC
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version:                10.0.17134 N/A Build 17134
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner:          ACER
Registered Organization:
Product ID:                00326-10000-00000-AA190
Original Install Date:     26-05-2018, 21:48:09
System Boot Time:          29-05-2018, 07:38:28
System Manufacturer:       Acer
System Model:              Aspire 5742G
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2399 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Acer V1.07, 27-09-2010
Windows Directory:         C:\WINDOWS
System Directory:          C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2
System Locale:             pt;Português (Portugal)
Input Locale:              pt;Português (Portugal)
Time Zone:                 (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edimburgo, Lisboa, Londres
Total Physical Memory:     3.959 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1.283 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  7.927 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 5.016 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    2.911 MB

Thank you. It´s a very useful tool. 

The problem is that I can´t upload the system info file like it says in the instructions link. I get this message: The file you tried to upload is not a valid zip or text file.

I tried uploading the smaller zip file and also the text file on the inside but it doesn´t accept it.

Of 284 GB of disk (C:) I have 199 GB free

Hello,

I´m giving one last try before giving up on the kaspersky forum. Resolving this on my own is very difficult since I´m no expert.

I´m sure there´s something wrong with the computer and I suspect a trojan. I believe it´s what´s affecting KIS and Windows protection services.

If anyone has any suggestion or thinks that can help, please do.