DwightArthur

Kaspersky Protection disabled by Firefox [merged]

Firefox Add-on Manager reports:

Legacy Extensions

These extensions do not meet current Firefox standards so they have been deactivated. Learn more about the changes to addons

[!] Kaspersky Protection could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled.

Kaspersky Protection

5.0.141.19d-20180116131102

Your protection on the Internet with extension from Kaspersky Lab

Last Updated     February 20, 2018

On the surface and at face value this looks very worrying. It seems that Firefox does not trust K as an add-on protection. If this is correct then Firefox users would appear to have an either/or choice to make. Can this be right? 

How do we get to the bottom of this one to establish what the facts are?

mikethebike    

Hello DwightArthur,

Welcome, I believe you have an older version of Kaspersky. In order to help better please let us know your OS type and version, also your Firefox version.

I use windows 10 pro 1709 -- KIS 18.0.0405 (g) -- Firefox 59.0.2 64bit using the KL extension in this snip

image.png.f091adff20d7ba8a1e8c68d18a067446.png

With the above updates the KL extension is working fine.

Another way for us to help is with a GSI report (please see important topics for how to)

Give us some more info, I think this will be easy to solve for you. -- kbill

17 hours ago, kbill said:

Hello DwightArthur,

Welcome, I believe you have an older version of Kaspersky. . . .

I use windows 10 pro 1709 -- KIS 18.0.0405 (g) -- Firefox 59.0.2 64bit using the KL extension

Thank you for your help, kbill. Clearly I am on an older release of KIS than you are. You stated that you are on 5.1.94... and as shown in the original post I am on 5.0.141...

I will check for, and install any updates to Firefox, KIS and Windows, and if the problem does not go away I will come back for more advice. Meanwhile, I would like to look further into the root cause of this problem. Why am I on an older version? I have KIS Settings turned on for "download and install new versions automatically" so I would think that I would not be on an older version for more than a day or two after GA of a new version. So I did not realize that I needed to pay attention to the possibility of KIS updates. But to be safe, I am using Kaspersky Software Updater to advise me of important missed updates to apps. Just now it is advising me to upgrade to the current version of Google Chrome, butr makes no mention of an available update to KIS. Why does my copy of Kaspersky seem unaware of the availability of an update? kbill, are you on a General Availability release or are you on a pre-release test version of KIS?

Hi DwightArthur,

There "could" be a problem but first take a look at your Kaspersky version by hovering over the "K" in the taskbar. If it matches the one I listed in my post above that is the latest one. If it is not I cannot answer why it did not update as per your wish in the settings.

Please be sure to check your main version, as Kojo+oi indicated in his post maybe the extension just may not have updated properly and a re-install (of the latest version) maybe all you need.

To answer your question on my preference, I like to watch the forum and update manually doing a clean install when things look to be going well for others. I am using the final versions of all the software I listed. How you update is up to the user, the important thing is to stay updated whatever way is best for you and keep check that is all working.  

All the best -- kbill

1) Try to check for the updates for the extension manually via FF.

2) Try to disable the extension, then install it manually from the file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 18.0.0\FFExt\light_plugin_firefox\addon.xpi

Then check it version. Tell me about results.

Here's what happened .. Today I noticed Firefox reported an extension update needed attention--actually it said 'KP protection added to Firefox'--and gave me the choice to enable it. (green hexagon and eye was still showing and private browsing counter). In Firefox options KP extension had been updated minutes ago, April 20th, but was shown disabled. In Firefox options I clicked enable and it was shown as enabled. Back to main screen firefox I noticed now two icons with the eye, but only one green hexagon showing counter of private browsing. The other new one was just the eye. Then I re-started Firefox. Now it shows only one icon, just the eye. No green hex, no counter. In reports section it shows private browsing is still working, and shows counts in the report. When I click the eye I don't see options  I used to see about private browsing. What's the green hex mean? And when only the eye shows and a greyed out hex? As I said I don't see the green hex anymore. Only the eye. Currently private browsing is on and as I said, reports shows it is counting.

Win 7.0  KP 17.0.0.611(k) .. Firefox is up to date.  KP protection 5.0.141.23d 20180402122123

Edited by nanopartz
more info and question

Followup: After I re-started the computer and fired up firefox the green hexagon and counter returned ..... so if you had this problem, worth a shot!

3 часа назад, Mefodys сказал:

1) Try to check for the updates for the extension manually via FF.

2) Try to disable the extension, then install it manually from the file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 18.0.0\FFExt\light_plugin_firefox\addon.xpi

Then check it version. Tell me about results.

+ Please clarify is an option Update Add-ons Automatically enabled in FF?

Thank you to all of the people who posted potential solutions. A few days after my original post, before I had tried any of the proposed resolutions, Firefox presented another message. I don't have it verbatim but the gist was that some unnamed external app had presented a firefox add-in named "Kaspersky Protection" which had been installed and did I wish to enable it? So I clicked "enable" and since then there has been no problem.

5 hours ago, DwightArthur said:

Thank you to all of the people who posted potential solutions. A few days after my original post, before I had tried any of the proposed resolutions, Firefox presented another message. I don't have it verbatim but the gist was that some unnamed external app had presented a firefox add-in named "Kaspersky Protection" which had been installed and did I wish to enable it? So I clicked "enable" and since then there has been no problem.

Yes thank you, and we all  need to pay attention to make sure  that one "enables kaspersky plugin" or "disables" ;)

Hello folks,

I have an ongoing problem with KIS2018's Kaspersky Protection add-on with Firefox 59.0.2. As described in this thread on the mozilla support pages, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1201499: I am seeing a greyed out eye with a cross and safe money and safe money no longer functions. This seemed to start around the same time as the your connection is not secure but wasn't resolved with patch g. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the fake certifuicate, uninstalled and reinstalled the add-on, tried with and without "security.enterprise_roots.enabled" set to true and completely uninstalled and reinstalled KIS 2018 but the add-on never activates and the eye remains greyed out and crossed out. Whilst not the end of the world as the file AV and Web AV will still hopefully catch most nasties if I encounter any along with MBAM Pro but i did like the ideqa of the safe money feature and would like to have it working again. Whilst it does appear to still be working in Chrome, it doesn't appear to be supported in my backup browser of Choice Opera. However this does tell me it's an issue with the FF addon only.

Can anybody provide a solution to this issue.

Thanks

KIS2018_FF.png

4 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I've seen issues like this when HTTPS Everywhere is enabled on some sites. Have you tried disabling some of the other plugins to see if there's a conflict going on with Kaspersky's features?

Also , can you please try this remove Kaspersky  Protection extension > manual install FF addon.XPI > restart FF.

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet  Security 18.0.0\FFExt\light_plugin_firefox\addon.xpi”

Hi. The extension Kaspersky Protection is not working on Firefox (59.0.3 64-bit). I am using KIS 18.0.0.405(g). I have tried to disable and enable. It is enable but the icon is gray.

What should I do?

Thank you.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:54 PM, plb4333 said:

I've seen issues like this when HTTPS Everywhere is enabled on some sites. Have you tried disabling some of the other plugins to see if there's a conflict going on with Kaspersky's features?

Thanks, I tried disabling HTTPS Everywhere and all my extensions to no avail as well as starting using different FF profiles (with no extensions) all of which had the same issue. I had recently (last few months since FF57) created a new default profile to replace my old one which had become corrupted. I normally use the new replacement default profile  but the old one did still exist under C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and I deleted the folder for that profile at which point it all started working. after a restart. Not sure why this worked unless the Kaspersky Protection extension was somehow holding on to some reference to the old profile (even in the other profiles that had no links to it).

Hopefully this may be of use to someone else who has also tried all the other solutions.but YMMV

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

That was all very interesting! So sorry to hear about what all you had to do tho. I would of never guessed that the profile folder and its files would be the culprit of what you were experienceing. I know the profile folder with its files can be at fault for different issues when there's corruption, especially the user config settings, but for what you were going through, its puzzling. Sure glad you got it worked out, but sure took alot of work! Guess this is why computer software troubleshooting can be so difficult, with all the variables involved

I had the same issue with Firefox ESR 60.6.1.

I updated Firefox to ESR 60.6.2 and it resolved.

I think it will be same with non-ESR Firefox.