I recently "upgraded" to KIS2018 from KIS2017 and immediately noticed I was no longer able to dismount any of my drives or take system state backups. It seems Kaspersky has created a file in the "System Volume Information" folder on each of my drives named "klmeta.dat" and leaves a handle open to it. Any time I try to dismount or take a backup, I get an error that file is in use.

I spoke with Kaspersky support, and they suggested I uninstall Kaspersky every time I want to take a backup or dismount a drive (which is about a dozen times daily). Not even joking, though I wish I were - ticket: INC000008982014

Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve uninstalling and reinstalling the product a dozen times a day, leaving the system vulnerable in the meantime and myself having to manually run tasks that have been automated for years?

Edited by Lurkios

Keep working with them on this issue. We do not have access to release timelines on the forums, let alone the fixes possible. Can you try another backup software? 

On 3/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, Lurkios said:

I recently "upgraded" to KIS2018 from KIS2017 and immediately noticed I was no longer able to dismount any of my drives or take system state backups. It seems Kaspersky has created a file in the "System Volume Information" folder on each of my drives named "klmeta.dat" and leaves a handle open to it. Any time I try to dismount or take a backup, I get an error that file is in use.

I spoke with Kaspersky support, and they suggested I uninstall Kaspersky every time I want to take a backup or dismount a drive (which is about a dozen times daily). Not even joking, though I wish I were - ticket: INC000008982014

Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve uninstalling and reinstalling the product a dozen times a day, leaving the system vulnerable in the meantime and myself having to manually run tasks that have been automated for years?

Have you thought about doing a backup using 'Shadow copy'? I'm not positive, but I believe if you use a 3rd party backup that makes backups using VSS, there's no issue with that System Volume Information folder/files.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:39 AM, plb4333 said:

Have you thought about doing a backup using 'Shadow copy'? I'm not positive, but I believe if you use a 3rd party backup that makes backups using VSS, there's no issue with that System Volume Information folder/files.

That is a solid suggestion and I do thank you for it - but at this point I'm still hoping to avoid replacing a dozen systems free, included backup solution.

The inability to dismount drives, however, has been the more problematic of the two - and so far Kaspersky support has been entirely useless. Any ideas would be very much appreciated, I'm out of drive letters - all of them taken by memory areas with a single "klmeta.dat" file.

Edited by Lurkios

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.