nevyoung

Kaspersky clean up and speed up. dmp.enc1 files.

HI - KIS has been installed and updated on my laptop since 2014. Frequently the computer stalls for a minute and I see in Task Manager that Kaspersky is intensely busy on the hard disk.

I have taken a look at the  Application Management facility and see that there are many many instances of applications it is monitoring which either are repeated over and over, or are setup.exe apps which were run once a long time ago. There are uninstall.exe apps and also many .tmp files. I can remove them manually be that would take days.

The ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab folder contains 2.7Gig of data. There are ...dmp.enc1 files. There are 7500 files in that folder and its sub-folders.

Can Kaspersky be cleaned up in some way to get rid of all this superfluous data?  Would it be a good idea to completely uninstall KIS and then reinstall it?

Thank you very much. I will see if KIS harddisk use decreases.

I did note however that my application version is 14.0.0.4651 even though I have done all required updates. Is this OK?

Another thing - I created a system report which took a few minutes, but when I wanted to view the report it opened an empty C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVZ\ folder. I did see a C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVZData folder with one sa.avz file only 54 bytes big. Should this be the case?

Please proceed like this :
> Download KIS 2018 https://support.kaspersky.com/kis2018
> Exit KIS 2014 > uninstall KIS 2014 > reboot
> Install KIS 2018 > update databases > reboot

Before proceeding , please check if your license is valid for KIS 2018 !

My current installation of KIS 2014 expires on 17 Oct 2018. Presumably that means  it is also valid for KIS 2018 ?

> Download KIS 2018 https://support.kaspersky.com/kis2018
> Exit KIS 2014 > uninstall KIS 2014 > reboot
> Install KIS 2018 > update databases > reboot

Should I not first uninstall KIS2014 and then download 2018?  If I download 2018 before uninstalling 2014, and run the exe, it already wants to proceed immediately with installation?

5 minutes ago, Whizard said:

Save first run next.

Sorry - save what?

And my licence question in the previous post?

Your license is good for 2018 KIS.

Download and save the installation file for KIS 2018 to your desktop but DO NOT run yet then proceed with the uninstallation process of KIS 2014.

Edited by Allsop

So far, so good.

The ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab folder now reduced from 2.7G to only 1Gig data  and files reduced from 7500 to 3500.
Hopefully that means KIS will be quicker finding whatever it needs to do its work.

Thanks

Folder " ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab" should only show subfolders , if not can you please post a screenshot

I use a powerful file manager called Xtree. capture1 shows the main directory and some of the sub-directories. Top right you can see the statistics of the files in the whole KL branch.
Capture2 shows just a few of the most recent files in the entire branch. 
Any file types that you are particularly interested in?

Capture-2.jpg

Capture-1.jpg