Kannanni

Total security 2018 latest slowing Internet speed

Good morning all,

Been using Kaspersky for a few years and not very keen to change security suite.

Upgraded my internet speed to around 389 Mbps wired to my PC (virgin uk) and kaspersky is reducing speed to around 270 mbps download, upload not affected. I read a bit and it seems this is done on purpose due to the internet being filtered beforehand, but unfortunately this doesn't happen only with speedtest.net, but also with http downloads of ISO's using download managers or without, and fast torrents. I gain instant full speed if i exit kaspersky or uninstall it.

raised a ticket with tech support here in UK and they referred it to Moscow and waiting to hear from them now.

on the mean time - has anyone heard of this before and if yes and tips or tricks to fix this ?

ps: i tried bitdefender suite latest, and internet is not slowed down at all, but i dont really like its interface and in general, it gives me a fake security feeling.

Edited by Kannanni
edit

Has anyone used Kaspersky on equipment with over 350 mbps fast internet connection and have they experienced any internet download slowdown with kav,kis or kts installed and enabled ??

Hi Kannanni,

Try this open KTS > Settings > Additional > Network > and untick Limit traffic on metered connections.

Did this work for you?

Thanks for your reply. I tried your sugestion but I have no such option on my variant of total security. I’m still waiting to hear from tech support in Moscow, surely they’re taking their time in replying

Hm that's strange cause I have Total security on mine and its there, are you sure that you have total security?

Edited by MachineFingers
Grammar mistake.

This is an interesting discussion.

So I've been attempting to troubleshoot a similar issue? I recently upgraded to 1Gb fiber (up and down, obviously) and have been consistently getting 95/13 (+/-5) megabit on both a wired (gigabit NIC with Cat6 cables), and wireless laptop. The laptop I expect bandwidth along these lines, as I haven't really heard of anyone reliably getting much more than 100 megabit on a wireless.

I'd been convinced that it was some sort of throttling error at my ISP, but then my family member's computer just tested 900+ Mbps both up and down when they were over the other day and seemed only limited by his system disk write speed when it came to real world downloads.. Their wireless connection was better than mine, but not 900 megabit, obviously, I don't recall the exact numbers (basically something that wasn't unreasonably limited and along the lines of a wifi limit).

The main difference between his cpu and either of mine is that I have both Kaspersky (total sec), and Windscribe VPN installed on my system. Both Kaspersky and Windscribe install network "devices" under the windows device manager, so I suspect that they interact with network traffic even when these services are turned off. Speed testing with both Kaspersky disabled and the VPN program closed (I've never speed tested with the VPN on, obviously) hasn't yielded different results. I ALWAYS get 95/13.

So, similar to the OP, I've been exploring how much kaspersky is throttling my traffic, and whether some of this throttling is some interaction with the Windscribe "device". Another friends (wireless) computer with kaspersky but not Windscribe also got ~95 down, but consistently gets 30megabit up (vs my 13).

It's all very odd.

Thank you for the "settings/../../limit traffic on metered connections" suggestion. I will have to see how much of a difference this makes when I get home. I'm currently away from home for a bit (and the internet sucks here FWIW, so not sure how much I'll be able to check this thread), but I'll try to update in a week or so when I get back home.

Great discussion topic tho, thanks guys.

As an aside, the 'metered connection' traffic limitation tho, this affects bandwidth, or it just suppresses unnecessary chatter? And wouldn't this only apply to connections that have been tagged "metered connections" by the user? (aren't all connections by default "not metered"?).

Also, is kaspersky more aggressive in traffic management over wifi than wired connections, because of the increased risks of MIM type attacks?

In either case, should kaspersky appear to be more permissive with a wired connection than wireless?

I received feedback from tech support today asking me to wait for tech release of new version of kaspersky in 2-3 weeks time and than retest. I have been experimenting a bit on my tower rig with quite a dated cpu q6600 and managed to overclock a bit to 3.20ghz and I’m reaching max download speeds for my connection now..

I suggest to check cpu age/load through task manager while doing Speedtest as on my case that was the culprit 

Edited by Kannanni

Ah, thanks for the update Kannanni, I'll see what the latest software push-out looks like.

I don't think cpu clockcycles are my issue, I've got a 4790k with otherwise all upper-tier (gaming quality) components, the CPU is never more than 10% and the proc is faster than my brother's laptop proc.

I also need to reach out to the windscribe guys and see about too.

Hi

I was having the same problem and tried MachineFinger's suggestion and immediately seen the improvement. I somehow missed that setting. Thanks Machine Fingers

Been having serious net slow down, pages not loading etc.

When I disable Kaspersky the pages load in a flash.

Installed Firefox, which is better than Chrome, as Chrome was just failing to load. Also re-installed expressvpn. Prior to reinstalling expressvpn would not allow any page to load.

I have uncheck the setting 'metered connection' traffic limitation'  as you suggested and things have improved but still not as fast as it should be. Turned windows defender off,  played around with speed and duplex.  any other settings that should be tweaked? I has to be a kaspersky problem as when I disable protection everything works

Welcome. Please pass your mouse cursor over the Kaspersky tray icon and tell us the full, complete name and version number of your Kaspersky product. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:47 PM, richbuff said:

Welcome. Please pass your mouse cursor over the Kaspersky tray icon and tell us the full, complete name and version number of your Kaspersky product. 

Hi, I have same problem. Setup : startup_14707 version : 19.0.0.1088

Please help me...Thanks.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, Whizard said:

Best way to collect trace logs reproduce the issue and submit it to KL via my.kaspersky.com

https://support.kaspersky.com/12074

I have the same problem. And I've just formatted the computer. I just installed motherboard drivers + chrome and winrar for the computer. The problem is developing in the following way. There is no problem when I install the Kaspersky program and reset it on the computer. The problem starts after updating. Please look at this file system log, and tell me what the problem is ??? Sorry. Loading the file on the site gives an error. See this link here; http://rgho.st/7SpKcVNct

There are many people who are experiencing this problem and nobody is helping. I installed the motherboard drivers + chrome and winrar just to format the computer. The problem starts as follows; I can install kaspersky and use reset. But after Kaspersky update is done, the problem starts. http://rgho.st/6lW5xGh8J this link for my system log....

Contact KL tech support via my.kaspersky.com reproduce the problem, collect the traces.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.