djlemmings

KIS seems to block Google Backup & Sync from launching

Hello,

Since a few days I got some errors when launching Google Backup & Sync, the new tool to sync both Google Drive and Google Photos.

I started a thread on their forum, and it seems that the bug only appears for users having Kaspersky installed: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/drive/Vh7WX7iNDds/rl7eq7UoBgAJ

If we disable Kaspersky when launching the Google application, it works fine and is running as planned after putting back the protection.

I tried to add an exception on KIS to trust Google B&S, but I didn't found the right way to go...

I hope you can find what is going wrong here.

Thanks!

Hello,

i've got the same problem. Maybe I found a solution.

In the extended menu you will find a menu item like "Dangers and exceptions".

There you can add google backup and sync (menu path for example C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe) as trusted program.

So far it seems to work.

I hope with you too.

I tried that option, but doesn't solve the problem... I still have to suspend the protection to launch Google B&S...

I also have the same problem using KIS 18.0.0.405(f) but so far have been unable to resolve it without suspending KIS.

Try adding In Kaspersky -> Additional -> Threats & Exclusions -> Specify Trusted Applications, an Exclusion for the executable/service(s) of Google B&S -> Do not scan encrypted traffic.

Le 13/02/2018 à 13:05, harlan4096 a dit :

Try adding In Kaspersky -> Additional -> Threats & Exclusions -> Specify Trusted Applications, an Exclusion for the executable/service(s) of Google B&S -> Do not scan encrypted traffic.

That seems to be working! Thanks for the tip.

Thank you, djlemmings. Are you familiar with Macs? If so, or if not possibly someone else could assist, should it suffice to specify under Preferences > Threats > Trusted Zones... to only select the Kaspersky application in "trusted files and folders" or "trusted web addresses"? There is no option for "do not scan encrypted traffic".

Kaspersky also stopped me re-installing Google Backup and Sync.

There was no indication or option to do anything.

I also had to add Google Installer as a trusted application.

Has Kaspersky got something against Google ?

Moderators : Is this fiasco going to get fixed ?

Same issue.  Following the steps recommended by @harlan4096 I'm stuck at:

On 2/13/2018 at 7:05 AM, harlan4096 said:

> Specify Trusted Applications, an Exclusion for the executable/service(s) of Google B&S -> Do not scan encrypted traffic.

When I open Trusted Applications nothing shows. Do I then click Add?  If yes, I'm not seeing anything with the above verbiage.  I need very simple instruction please and thank you!

After clicking Add, if you don't see what you want in the list of applications (look under Google heading) then you can also click the Browse link, bottom left hand corner, and navigate to the items you want.

I have added these :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync64.dll  and  C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

and all's working fine now.

If you are not on a 64-bit system your path and file names will be slightly different of course.

Thank you @rufford155 I've attached the list of applications under Google heading, do you see it?  I had checked in browse too but I really have no idea what I'm looking for in there. 

google backup sync.PNG

I think Google Installer is your 3rd one down but check the .exe file is the same as the one I listed.

THe other one (the .dll file) you will have to navigate to via the Browse link.

Start at ThisPC or My Computer and follow the path shown in my post.

Getting there slowly @rufford155, thank you.  I've added the .exe file but I can't seem to navigate to the .dll file within Kaspersky browse (which only browses for .exe files).  I have located the .dll file on my computer.  Next step please!

Well this gets curiouser and curiouser.

I am absolutely certain I added the .dll via Browse but, as you say, this only displays .exe files.

I only did it about 2 weeks ago so something must have changed and now I can't see any way to do it.

I suggest instead adding the 'googledrivesync.exe' file itself as in the post by MisterXY80 above.

Don't forget to select 'Do not scan encrypted traffic'.

This is in the options found by double clicking the added trusted app.

I hope this works too as I have another laptop abroad I hope to set up as well.

@lindaa: try this, go to Settings -> Protection -> Application Control -> Manage Applications -> use search option (on top right of the window) to locate the google dll file, once found, mouse right click over the file -> Details and rules -> Exclusions :)

Thanks harlan4096, I hope that helps lindaa - and me too later.

But what a revelation when I looked at it !

Where has the massive list of trusted items comes from?

I certainly don't recall specifying them myself.

Kaspersky uses whitelisting system (Kaspersky Security Network technology) to automatically trust many of the system files, and also the new ones when You 1st run them :)

Thanks again.

As you are a moderator are you "in the know" as to whether this problem with Google Backup and Sync is going to be fixed by Kaspersky?

Hello rufford155,

Could you please create a request to Tech support via My Kapsersky site and provide there a GSI6 report and traces of the initial issue (enable tracing - reboot - reproduce the issue - disable tracing)?

+ will be good to receive several screenshots of the issue.

Tell me the request number. Thanks!

p.s. I have not find any related bug on the issue.

Well it's one problem after another isn't it !

I clicked on your 'GSI6' link to the support page but then clicking on 'How to get a standard Get System Info report' absolutely nothing happens so I am stuck.

I am very, very reluctant anyway to reproduce the issue by turning off the fix now I have got everything working.

Here's an idea : Instead of giving me all this work, why don't YOU install Google Backup and Sync with KIS running - if you can - and you should get the issue then.

It's obvious from this forum and the Google Drive forum that lots of folk are getting exactly the same problem. (snapshot attached)

GOOGLE B&S ERRORS.docx

Hello djlemmings,

I have the same problem with OneNote 2010 synchronization. Afrer I turn on the 'Do not scan encrypted traffic' option the problem was solved.

22 hours ago, harlan4096 said:

Kaspersky uses whitelisting system (Kaspersky Security Network technology) to automatically trust many of the system files, and also the new ones when You 1st run them :)

But not Google Backup and Sync apparantly !

Or One Note it now seems - maybe there's others too?

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.