Jump to content
mystiky

Meltdown / Spectre and KAV / KIS 18.0.0.405f and Windows 10 new patch: Questions and Answers. [merged]

Recommended Posts

@mikethebike Follow Action Center (normally at the right end of your taskbar) > All Settings > System > About > look at Processor

Be aware:  W7 is affected just because it runs on an affected processor.

Edited by GregLauver

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to your help,Greg,  I have discovered that I do have an AMD processor. In my case it looks like I'll just have to wait until the problem with AMD is resolved

mikethebike

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 07/01/2018 at 11:29 AM, mary7 said:

I have a question I have Kis2017 in one pc and Kis2018 in another, if I open with Safemoney my bank site the isolation of browser protected with Safemoney will block malicious javascript that could stole the data thanks the meltdown and spectre vulnerability?

 

 

I have this question too.

if Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities are exploited by Hackers, does KIS protect against this?

 

Edited by Gniblett

Share this post


Link to post

Gniblett  has asked an excellent question. In addition I have seen no security updates from Microsoft yet, so am I to conclude that as far as Microsoft is concerned KIS is not yet compatible. If this is the case then does anyone know when it will be? An update seemed imminent as far back as early in the second week of January but we are now only a day off February.

 

I appreciate we are only a user forum but an answer from member of the Kaspersky staff such as we do occasionally see, would be useful 

mikethebike

 

Share this post


Link to post

@mikethebike - Microsoft has already determined that KIS is compatible.  You've been awaiting an OS update that is compatible with your AMD processor.  I notice the link in my previous post now redirects to the renamed article:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073707/windows-operating-system-security-update-for-amd-based-devices
that begins "Microsoft has now resumed updating all AMD-based devices ..." - and updated 2018/01/24

Did Microsoft update you on the sly?  Settings > All Settings > System > About > look at Windows Specifications
If the version is 1709 and the OS Build is 16299.192, then you're good.  If not ...

Have you tried manually running Windows Update?  Settings > All Settings > Update & Security > Check For Updates
If there's still no joy, we can look at your Windows Registry after you've had lots of rest and coffee, in that order.  You could actually do this yourself based on notes earlier in this topic; but if you're unfamiliar with the registry and the dire warnings that go with it, then you should wait for guidance or a get trusted assistant.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, GregLauver said:

@mikethebike - 

Did Microsoft update you on the sly?  Settings > All Settings > System > About > look at Windows Specifications
If the version is 1709 and the OS Build is 16299.192, then you're good.  If not ...

Have you tried manually running Windows Update?  Settings > All Settings > Update & Security > Check For Updates
If there's still no joy, we can look at your Windows Registry after you've had lots of rest and coffee, in that order.  You could actually do this yourself based on notes earlier in this topic; but if you're unfamiliar with the registry and the dire warnings that go with it, then you should wait for guidance or a get trusted assistant.

Thanks Greg. I regularly run updates but can see nothing there that would appear to be the update for Spectre and Meltdown. In your first sentence in the quote I think you are referring to the Control Panel which has System. I can open that and it tells me about my processor etc but I cannot find any reference to About which will talk me to specifications, version etc

I checked with  how to find Current Build on Microsoft and found a "simple" explanation which in fact involved regedit and a lot of "clicking but I think I got there in the end, My current build number is 7601 current version 6.1

I presume this is not what I should see if I have the update? Could it be that as the update bulletin was only amended on 24 Jan  that Microsoft are still sending it out and I just need to wait?

Thanks 

mikethebike

 

 

 

Edited by mikethebike
typo

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/31/2018 at 8:51 PM, mikethebike said:

Thanks Greg. I regularly run updates but can see nothing there that would appear to be the update for Spectre and Meltdown. In your first sentence in the quote I think you are referring to the Control Panel which has System. I can open that and it tells me about my processor etc but I cannot find any reference to About which will talk me to specifications, version etc

I checked with  how to find Current Build on Microsoft and found a "simple" explanation which in fact involved regedit and a lot of "clicking but I think I got there in the end, My current build number is 7601 current version 6.1

I presume this is not what I should see if I have the update? Could it be that as the update bulletin was only amended on 24 Jan  that Microsoft are still sending it out and I just need to wait?

Thanks 

mikethebike

 

 

 

Hello Mike! You can find your current Windows Build by clicking Start Button -> Settings (the Gear Icon) -> System -> About. Scroll down, and find the title "Windows Specifications". You should be able to find your Windows Version and Build. As Greg said, your system is already patched if it shows:

 

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.192

 

Hope this helps. Have a good day! :)

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, 17th Worry_Wart said:

Hello Mike! You can find your current Windows Build by clicking Start Button -> Settings (the Gear Icon) -> System -> About. Scroll down, and find the title "Windows Specifications". You should be able to find your Windows Version and Build. As Greg said, your system is already patched if it shows:

 

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.192

 

Hope this helps. Have a good day! :)

I am beginning to wonder if I am clicking on the wrong Start button. Are we talking about the Windows icon  which when I place the mouse arrow over it shows the word "Start"? If I click on this it give me a few icon for various programmes and I can choose "All Programmes if I want but I can see no Settings or Gear icon? There is of course the gear icon on K but this doesn't get me to  anything to do with Windows. As I said in an earlier post I can find something called System in my Windows Control Panel and this as I said takes me to Information about my computer but there is no "About" feature I can see. 

So either I have a different Windows set-up which seems unlikely or I am missing something. In the Control Panel  all I can see is System but no Settings. This is getting incredibly frustrating.

What am I doing wrong?

 

mikethebike

   

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dh27564 said:

Hi Mike.  I found this you tube video.  See if it's what you're looking for.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_hfFTV0axI

 

Thanks for that. That got me to where I needed to be but the info I found was what I had found earlier by Googling how to find System info although your info was far simpler to use. I have version 6.1.7601.Service Pack 1 Build 7601 and under Hardware Abstraction it says 6.1. 7601. 24009. So I assume I have not yet got the update I need.  Basically all I needed was a reply to the effect that I have not yet got the updated version but at least I now know what I am looking for in terms of the right version.

I am still puzzled why I see no Settings or Gear icon as two others suggested and equally why Googling took me to a complicated regedit route or why the U Tube video which was an easy route made no mention of the Settings and Gear Icon as another route. 

 

mikethebike

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mikethebike said:

I am beginning to wonder if I am clicking on the wrong Start button. Are we talking about the Windows icon  which when I place the mouse arrow over it shows the word "Start"? If I click on this it give me a few icon for various programmes and I can choose "All Programmes if I want but I can see no Settings or Gear icon? There is of course the gear icon on K but this doesn't get me to  anything to do with Windows. As I said in an earlier post I can find something called System in my Windows Control Panel and this as I said takes me to Information about my computer but there is no "About" feature I can see. 

So either I have a different Windows set-up which seems unlikely or I am missing something. In the Control Panel  all I can see is System but no Settings. This is getting incredibly frustrating.

What am I doing wrong?

 

mikethebike

   

 

Hi Mike,

Have attached a screenshot to show you where to find the settings cog once you click the Start Button on Windows 10. In fact, once you have found it, right click it, select More, then Pin to taskbar then as you will see in my screenshot it will always be to hand  :)  you can drag it to which position you prefer on the taskbar itself.

If you cannot see the settings cog on your start menu, press Start then type Settings  that will give you the link to open the Settings App.

Now, once you have opened Settings open Personalisation click Settings then Start  Scroll down and click Choose which folders appear on start then in the Window that opens make sure Settings is switched on ;)

Hope this helps

 

Settings cog on start menu W10.jpg

Edited by Gniblett

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, Gniblett. Yours and maybe the others who referred to the Settings and Gear icon were also referring to Windows 10 but I have Windows 7. I did refer to this on my post on page 2 but I appreciate that now we are on page 3 this info had become "lost". On threads with a lot of responses I suppose it makes sense to add my KIS version and Windows version each time I post  

mikethebike

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Mike,

Then if my memory serves me correctly the settings are all under the umbrella of the Control Panel in Windows 7.  Windows 10 has changed things a bit as you have guessed :rolleyes:

Add your Windows 7 and KIS version to a Signature on your profile in this Forum, that will save typing what you have with every post. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gniblett said:

Hi Mike,

Add your Windows 7 and KIS version to a Signature on your profile in this Forum, that will save typing what you have with every post. 

So in the Profile  section I simply add my signature which currently I add manually each time I post and then I add Windows 7 Home Premium and my KIS version and that way all 3( Signature, Windows version and KIS version) will all appear automatically each time I post? 

As you are also in the U.K. and the Windows update may be rolled out by Country, can I ask that you post when you have been updated.

I take it that Windows 7 will be updated at the same time as Windows 10 or is the update by Country and Windows version?

Thanks

mikethebike

   

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Mike,

First off, to add a Signature to your posts, click your user name, top right of this Forum page, choose Account Settings then under Signature you can entered that you are using Windows 7 etc and format it how you like.  My signature is the bit in purple under my posts. 

Windows Updates for Windows 7 will not be the same as for Windows 10 as they are updating a different operating system and I believe they are also delivered to suit the readiness of your machine to receive them and in the case of the Meltdown Spectre fixes it is also dependant on the processor you have. Mine is an Intel and I believe you have AMD. 

I have attached a clipping from an article re Updates for PC’s with AMD processors which I hope will help.

EB154D46-BD5B-4084-9885-427AECE711DC.jpeg

//Edit: Eight (8) posts about where Windows settings are, and forum signature. I am closing this now for a little while, to let off-topic cool off. Kaspersky Lab personnel are free to add important content anytime. Please send me a private message if anyone has on-topic important content that they wish to add.

Edited by richbuff
Closed due to descend to off-topic.

Share this post


Link to post

I have seen posts on the web but I am unclear what the correct value to use is.     Some program ( KIS 2018 ) or Malwarebytes  has installed the registry key with a data value of 0.   The instructions on the web say

RegKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"

Value Name ="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"

Type="REG_DWORD"

Data="0x00000000"

if I enter 0x00000000 with out the quotes and hit enter and then go back and look at the key windows has changed it to be 41000000  if I enter it with the quotes windows changes it to be b4100000  

so

1) am I supposed to enter with or without quotes?

2) what do your registry keys show if you check them?

The basic problem I have is that I left it a zero and windows still would not install the meltdown patch.  So I then manually downloaded the delta ( non cumulative) version of the meltdown patch and it installed and my computer has been working fine.   So far so good.   However,  today Microsoft put out a new security patch KB4074588 and it checks this same key and refuses to install.   Yes it understand this patch has a bug that says fail when it did not actually fail and we are supposed to check to see if windows updated to version 16299.248 but my version does not update so it actually failed.    I also tried the delta ( non cumulative ) version of the patch with the same result.   So I need help understanding what the correct value is supposed to be.

thanks

 

//Edit: This topic is open only for strongly on-topic posts.  Non-strong-focus content will be removed. 

Edited by richbuff
This topic is open only for strongly on-topic posts.  Non-strong-focus content will be removed. 

Share this post


Link to post

to: stevens@hutchtel.net,

My registry looks like:-

image.png.fd1ba1d4fcee8b93e71ded298aeec7a9.png

It's my understanding that the edits to the Reg are added without " " (quotes)

I first looked in the Reg for this entry at the beginning of Jan 2018, when all the Meltdown/Spectre and Microsoft's tricky patch kicked off.

For me the curious thing was that KIS appeared to update to v18.0.0.405(f) closely followed by Win 10 downloading "update" - KB 4056892. (was the KIS update responsible for the QualityCompat line being added to the reg?)

KB 4056892 caused my ancient Dell Dimension C521 with its AMD processor to blue screen.

Much has been written elsewhere about this and MS have corrected the situation with subsequent updates

Share this post


Link to post

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.