mystiky

Meltdown / Spectre and KAV / KIS 18.0.0.405f and Windows 10 new patch: Questions and Answers. [merged]

7 hours ago, schwaps said:

I agree that panicking is unwarranted.  However, the way the news and media has spun this up, those of us with even the slightest bit of anxiety or OCD coupled with a technical background (a significant percentage I might add) are going to panic.  I even heard the news on a non-technical talk radio station which was quite unexpected.  Not-to-mention, it is difficult to weed out all the Fake News to find the truth.

This would be a great time to let this important topic cool off for two hours or so. A lot of useful information has been posted in this topic thread. Thank You to all contributors. This is amicably and temporarily closed. KL personnel are able, of course to post important content. 

Re-opened, but please post useful informative content only, please.

My main computer with KIS 18 just updated automatically so it seems that Microsoft is staggering the pushes.  I have an older machine (hardware wise) that still has not updated but I’m sure it will be soon...

Just to report that my machine with Kaspersky 17.0.0.611(j) installed has just been upgraded with the new Windows 10 security patch. I know that I'm not running KIS 18.0.0.405(f), as relating to this thread, but felt that if my machine has just been upgraded through Windows Update, then it should also apply to KIS 2018. Seems that MS is just staggering the updates.

Both my machines running KIS 2018 V 18.0.0.405  ( f ) upgraded to Win 10 v 16299.192.

No issues. Both PCs were rebooted, and running fine.  :)

Edited by Fenderman1

I'm running KTS 18.0.0.405 (f) and just received the update patch ( KB4056892) from MS this morning to Win 10 OS Build 16299.192.

No issues,  it's working fine for me now :D

I received the Microsoft patch overnight and have no issues. Kudos to Kaspersky for staying on top of this issue with Patch f.

I installed the patch today on two PCs... one has no problems KIS 2018 installed (AMD FX-Processor)... The other one has got a blue screen AV 2018 installed (18.0.0.405(f) with Intel i7 Processor)

Maybe with Intel Processors you got a blue screen?!

Pleased to hear that an MS patch is working for some.
Alas my elderly Dell Dimension C521 (AMD Athlon 64 3800+) repeatedly fails to install cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4056892), which I presume is MS’s Meltdown ‘fix’? 
The restart fails leaving just a static Windows icon and no disc activity. 
After several restart attempts including a complete power down, system reverts to a pre KB4056892 install state.
Any thoughts on how to remove KB4056892's install files and await a MS's "fix no 2" would be appreciated!

44 minutes ago, wgcuser said:

Any thoughts on how to remove KB4056892's install files and await a MS's "fix no 2" would be appreciated!

I would run the troubleshooter from Windows Update - sometimes it does actually fix things :-)

I understand that KIS2018 Patch f is compatible with Windows 10 KB4056892 update for the Intel Meltdown security bug, because Patch f has created a registry key to prevent BSOD.

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"
Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"
Type="REG_DWORD”
Data="0x00000000”

If I am now re- installing Window 10 Fall Creators Update FRESH, and then installed the required cumulative updates, together with KB4056892, do I need to create the registry key myself BEFORE installing KIS2018?   The full installer for KIS2018 has only been updated to Patch d (kis18.0.0.405abcden_13413.exe).

Thanks.

I am using KAV 18.0.0.405(f) and received the MS update KB4056892  automatically about 2 hours  ago and it updated with no problem. Windows 10 PRO 32 bit OS.

still no MS update KB4056892  for me.  I just manually checked.  again, running win 10 pro 64bit and have the registry entrees + KAV 18.0.0.405(f)

Edited by mystiky

My i3-4370 (Haswell) desktop with Win10 and KAV 18.0.0.405(f) updated automatically yesterday (KB4056892). 

My i5-3570k (Ivy Bridge) desktop with Win10 and KAV 18.0.0.405(f) has not yet received the automatic update (KB4056892).

One can only speculate, as JGAta2 postulated, that Microsoft is staggering the update, perhaps based on CPU or chipset series or some other attribute.  In any case, it is indeed comforting to see progress being made.

Edited by schwaps
Added OS

23 hours ago, Chubb said:

Hi, Chubb. Kaspersky is already compatible with the Win 10 update so either way if you update manually to patch f, you will be covered. I'm on V 18, patch f, and both machines work fine. :)

18 hours ago, JGAta2 said:

I would run the troubleshooter from Windows Update - sometimes it does actually fix things :-)

Thanks JGAta2,

No go on the WU troubleshooter - I've retried the t'shooter a couple of times along with KB4056892, the result is always a a dead pc after the Restart .

This gets resolved by manual reboot x2.

A normal  startup (after  Shut Down) does not give a dead pc , nor a completed install of 4056892 - its current status: awaiting restart.

I have a question I have Kis2017 in one pc and Kis2018 in another, if I open with Safemoney my bank site the isolation of browser protected with Safemoney will block malicious javascript that could stole the data thanks the meltdown and spectre vulnerability?

Edited by mary7

4 hours ago, wgcuser said:

A normal  startup (after  Shut Down) does not give a dead pc , nor a completed install of 4056892 - its current status: awaiting restart.

What happens if you remove the update by clicking on Update History and then Uninstall Updates?  If that works, you have to make sure you keep it from updating again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

12 hours ago, Fenderman1 said:

Hi, Chubb. Kaspersky is already compatible with the Win 10 update so either way if you update manually to patch f, you will be covered. I'm on V 18, patch f, and both machines work fine. :)

Thanks

12 hours ago, Fenderman1 said:

Thanks

Unfortunately most of the Q and As in the posts are way above my head but seem to focus on KIS 2018 compatibility with the Windows Update. I am still on KIS 17.0.0.611((j) without problems to date so wish to remain there for the time being. Can anyone advise me if I am likely to experience issues with the MS update. I run Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks

mikethebike

Well, today is "super Tuesday" for the Microsoft patch to be pushed to all (except I guess AMD owners).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4056892-meltdown-spectre-fix-fails-to-install-519238.shtml

Believe it or not, I still did not get the patch (KB4056892) although I qualify on all fronts.   What a mess  of confusion.  For the record, my CPU is Intel i7-6700K, running KAV revision (F) and again, I have the registry entry (not manually entered by me).

Running Windows 10 x64 1709.

I hope that by the end of the day, I finally get it.

Edited by mystiky

I haven't seen anything from Microsoft either but while there  is less than 10 minutes of Tuesday to go here in the U.K. there may be 7-8 hours if the release in from the W coast of the U.S.

It certainly sounded as if Windows 7 Home Premium is affected by the problem but I haven't received an answer to my earlier post from Sunday evening so I am in the dark 

mikethebike 

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.