OBK

Software updates: Wrong info "Not assigned for installation (new version)"

Hi,

last week I get the info for one device that there is a Software update "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continues 18.009.20044". The KSC informed me:

Update installation status in the Network:

- Not assigned for installation (new Version) on: 1

- To be installed on: 1

see screenshot "not assigned for installation.png."

The message "Not assigned for installation (new Version)" is not correct, because there exists a task to install updates for Adobe Accrobat Reader DC Continues.

A mouse click on the event shows me, for which device the message is shown (see device.png).

This morning the update was installed at startup of device.

It seems to be, that the device has to be online to check if the update is assigend for installation or not. Actually the KSC has the Information itself.

(This is the same behaviour as in KSC 10 SP2).

Kind regards,

OBK

not assigned for installation.PNG

device.PNG

event of installation.PNG

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Ivan.Ponomarev:

Could please precise, if there is a rule to accept the updates before Installation?

Yes, there is a rule to accept the updates before Installation (see attached update Task).

- First I accept the update

- Then one device changed to status "To be installed on". This device had Connection to the KSC

- The second device remained in Status "Not assigned for installation (new Version)". This device was down.

task install update.klt

I think that it can be reproduced.

Edited by OBK

On 11.12.2017 at 2:42 PM, OBK said:

Hi,

last week I get the info for one device that there is a Software update "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continues 18.009.20044". The KSC informed me:

Update installation status in the Network:

- Not assigned for installation (new Version) on: 1

- To be installed on: 1

see screenshot "not assigned for installation.png."

The message "Not assigned for installation (new Version)" is not correct, because there exists a task to install updates for Adobe Accrobat Reader DC Continues.

A mouse click on the event shows me, for which device the message is shown (see device.png).

This morning the update was installed at startup of device.

It seems to be, that the device has to be online to check if the update is assigend for installation or not. Actually the KSC has the Information itself.

(This is the same behaviour as in KSC 10 SP2).

Kind regards,

OBK

Hello.

Issue 2563226 has been created to clarify the meaning of this status. We will provide the reply from developers.

Thank you.

On 19.12.2017 at 11:11 AM, OBK said:

I think that it can be reproduced.

We have received the following reply from the developer:

"Not assigned for installation" means that there is no patch management tasks which will install this update on that host.

In other words, "Not assigned for installation" means that there is no patch management tasks matching all the following points:

- the host where this patch is applicable is the task's target host (belongs to the task's group, etc);

- the update matches the task's settings and at leas one of its rules.

E.g., if the task settings does not allow to install major updates (new versions of the used software) then such patches (new versions) will not be installed by the task until the appropriate option is turned on in the task's settings.

So, the vulnerabilities list and applicable updates list are required (exported to text files) + the tasks settings (exported to a file) are required to investigate if it's by the design or not.

Thank you.

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Kirill Tsapovsky:

So, the vulnerabilities list and applicable updates list are required (exported to text files) + the tasks settings (exported to a file) are required to investigate if it's by the design or not.

I attached the update Task and the updates list. As you can see at the video https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/PJhZEJak, the update isn't assigend to a vulnerability. For this I can't attach a vulnerability list.

update-task.klt

update list.csv

Hello,

we got response from developers :

The rule "Updates Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" allows you to install updates approved by the administrator.
Most likely, this update is not approved by the administrator - you need to open its properties and attach a screenshot of the approval
status.

It was not approved (at least at the time this task was launched), right?

Thank you.

Am ‎13‎.‎01‎.‎2018 um 16:19 schrieb Dmitry Eremeev:

The rule "Updates Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" allows you to install updates approved by the administrator.
Most likely, this update is not approved by the administrator - you need to open its properties and attach a screenshot of the approval
status.

For this I had attached the update task. It's not enough?

Am ‎10‎.‎01‎.‎2018 um 17:10 schrieb OBK:

I attached the update Task and the updates list. As you can see at the video https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/PJhZEJak, the update isn't assigend to a vulnerability. For this I can't attach a vulnerability list.

update-task.klt

update list.csv

Am ‎13‎.‎01‎.‎2018 um 16:19 schrieb Dmitry Eremeev:

It was not approved (at least at the time this task was launched), right?

No. It was approved. I didn't change the update task since I launched the task

And as you see in the following screenshot, at the moment as I approved the application, the status changed for one device to "To be installed on" and for one device not. This was the situation in november

Am ‎11‎.‎12‎.‎2017 um 12:42 schrieb OBK:

The status didn't change until december.

Am ‎11‎.‎12‎.‎2017 um 12:42 schrieb OBK:

On 11th December the device was switched on and the update was installed. I have the Impression that KSC has this behaviour when there exists a Software update without assigend Software Vulnerabiltiy.

see update list.csv

Am ‎10‎.‎01‎.‎2018 um 17:10 schrieb OBK:

Kind regards,

OBK

Yesterday I wrote:

vor 22 Stunden schrieb OBK:

I have the Impression that KSC has this behaviour when there exists a Software update without assigend Software Vulnerabiltiy.

I was wrong. The behaviour exists alsow when Software Vulnerabilies are assigned.

But I think, I have good news for you.

Today I created a new video. I hope, it will be very helpful for you to see the whole problem! Please refer to https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/v3h5EGvy.

Perhaps you'll say: There is a problem with devices POBK6254, because protection is off. Okay, protection is off. But this may not be a reason, that Mozilla Firefox 57.0 is assigend to be installed and Mozilla Firfox 56.0 not. I have only only update ask for Mozilla Firefox and the task doesn't depend on the software version of Mozilla Firefox.

And please take a look to another issue too. When I clicked on "Installed on" for Mozilla Firefox 56.0.2, KSC found the device POBK6268. But when I click on the devise and go to Software vulnerabilites/KLA11169/Vulnerability instandes, ther is displayed an additional device. Okay, the software vulnerabiltiy can be fixed with Version 57.0 too. And here, POBK6268 is displayed to. By this way I switched from an update (Version 56.0) to an update with version 57.0.

Kind regards

OBK

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.