SwissMuffin

ExpressVPN fails under kaspersky total security 18

Hi,

I run expressVPN and kaspersky total security 18. ExpressVPN functions fine except when i do a "speedtest" as this will either han or terminate abnormally. I worked with expressVPN technical support and they suggested I exclude it within kaspersky. This was done but i still have the problem. i then rebooted my computer,  "exit" kaspersky and can run the ExpressVPN successfully. For me i seems the kaspersky exclusion is not working so  attach a screenshot of the kaspersky exclusion gui and GetSystemInfo can be found at http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file=de08a14d7e34c397ddda9c679c6101db

Regards,

n

2017-11-10 (3).png

:rolleyes: I lookup into your GSI-Report it shows 83 Unknown files and most of them are legit

you're using 2-Backups apps better use only-1: Also you've a spyware removal

called HeatCore.dll : These apps may or Not causing issues in "Speed Test"

"Temporary-Files" Clean up & Empty recycle Bin it may help speed PC's

Link :  https://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/solutions/1161

and carry out a Speed test after,..Any better now..?

Is not been reported that KTS cause issues in -Speed Tests- if fails can Be due to

other reasons like: Faulty Ethernet USB connector or Wi-Fi malfunction: Which

method do you use..? Also speed tests fails if the Pc got viruses, too many

apps using Internet. Do the Test between 9 to 11 AM or from 2 to 5 PM

Edited by Indio

On 11/10/2017 at 3:33 AM, witherndale said:

For me i seems the kaspersky exclusion is not working

Different issue but I tried several time to use exclusions in Kaspersky TS 2018 and I never did get them to work.

I cleaned up, as per comments of Indio. Reboot and rerun. With Kaspersky stopped, speedtest works every time in less than 2 minutes. With kaspersky, speed test never works but either hangs or terminates abnormally (See screen shot). RAm, DIsk, nETWK are all below 15%, CPU hits 50% then drops to around 4%.

2017-11-13.png

12 hours ago, Tmod700 said:

I tried several time to use exclusions in Kaspersky TS 2018 and I never did get them to work.

B) Hey! What's up Tmod700 : Not much we can do except to remove - All the extensions reboot compu..

Re-Enter them special attention on typing the URL - File paths >>Reboot PC again & monitor if worked out..!

@witherndale: Did you Disabled your 2-Backups file apps and this was to eliminate a possible incompatibility

I hope richbuff can analyze deeply your GSI-Report maybe there're issues in the -Event Viewer- if he doesn't

respond, then I'd recommend to consult "TechSupport" at :  https://my.kaspersky.com/support/requests/create

Edited by Indio

Hi,

apologies or the delay, can recreate it on demand, on a second laptop with no backup software. Took both to work and can recreate it on my works network. Tried wifi and Ethernet can recreate it on both. In fact i never got it to work. Now down to the diagnostics. I just recreated it as per your instructions. I cleaned up, stopped all backups and onedrive, etc stopped kaspersky and expressvpn speedtest worked fine, started kaspersky reran expressvpn speedtest and it failed. My diary is below and the three getsysteminfos are loaded. ENjoy, good luck and thanks

16:00 - Stop backup services nd any ibvios ones. delete appdata/temp, delete bin, clear events
16:16 - reboot with everythng stopped
16:17 - run first getsysteminfo
16:0 - extract and loaf getsysteminfo https://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file=f32de96bfe7be7c4b1ce15df8ce2b8cb
 - unknowns 
    Running processes
=> C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpnd\xvpnd.exe" --workdir "c:\programdata\expressvpn\v4\\" --client-version 6.3.0 --client-build 6.3.0.3108 --quiet start

Running drivers
=> C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVpn SplitTunnel Driver\driver\expressvpnsplittunnel.sys

Scanned folders
 C:\WINDOWS\system32 [2]
=> C:\Windows\System32\HeatCore.dll
=> C:\Windows\System32\vmstaging.dll

16:36 - Exit Kaspersky
16:37 - start expressvpn speedtest
      - Max cpu spike 50%, then around 15%, max memory 20%, max disk 1%, Max network 10%
16:43 - expressvpn speedtest completes sucessfully
16:43 - restart kaspersky
16:45 - system check and cpu 10%, memory 20%, disk and network < 1%
16:46 - start expressvpn speedtest
      - Max cpu spike 50%, then around 15%, max memory 20%, max disk 1%, Max network 10%
16:48 - Expressvpn has stopped working, windows popup box (Seen before as either i get this or it hangs)
16:49 - run getsysteminfo "Forgot event logs" https://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file=c7cafaea997cf9b9bd4d415dc204de91
16:58 - run getsysteminfo "with eventlogs" https://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file=597f188e4950eed8c02ea1ba8884ac83
17:15 - Set all services torestart and reboot

Hi,

i did try to get a screen shot of the error message / popup but screenshot would not work. However i have seen it often before so here is a screenshot from a previous failure.  

Screenshot.png

Don't take Me wrong, but this error isn't much relevant. if you're able to Run the

Internet SpeedTest disabling KTS -18 : Do so or uninstall the ExpressVPN

and Run the Test..if succeed was ExpressVpn causing issues

Another option is Remove ExpressVpn and Enable  KSC = Kaspersky Security Connection

it works as VPN and offer 300 MB-Free : Heavy Internet users, can buy the premium version

To recap if you wan to dig deeply on the speedTest malfunction >>Contact Tech Support

Link :  https://my.kaspersky.com/support/requests/create  - Provide screenshot

Indio, thanks or the info and your help. For my situation, it is important enough to follow up so i will open a support ticket. 

Hi,

after some good work with the support tea from Kaspersky, the expressVPN speedtest nw wrks fine. The solution was to add muliple trusted applications. The instructions i received are cut/pasted below.

Files for exclusion:

c:\program files (x86)\expressvpn\xvpnd\xvpnd.exe
c:\program files (x86)\expressvpn\pss\pssilent.exe
c:\program files (x86)\expressvpn\bootstrap\amd64\nssm.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpnd\windows\xvutil\XvUtil.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpn-ui\ExpressVpn.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpnd\windows\openvpn.exe

A. To add the files to the Trusted applications list, please follow the instructions below: 

To exclude a program please perform the following steps:

1. If the main window of Kaspersky application is not on your desktop, bring it up by double-clicking the Kaspersky desktop shortcut (icon) or by double clicking on the Kaspersky icon in the bottom right corner of the screen;
2. Click on the Gear icon in the bottom left corner of the Kaspersky window;
3. On the left side menu select 'Additional';
4. On the right side menu select 'Threats and Exclusions';
5. Under 'Exclusions' click on 'Specify trusted applications';
6. Click 'Add';
7. Pick an application from the list or click 'Browse' in the bottom left corner to manually locate the application (.exe file).
8. Check the necessary boxes (check all of them) and press 'Add'
9. Repeat for all files.

I'm running ExpressVPN as well on my Win10 computer with KTS2018 (patch E) installed.
No issues at all.

1) I would really recommend, uninstall ExpressVPN.
2) reboot the computer
3) reinstall and activate your ExpressVPN software

I hope this solves the issue for you.

Hi,

I did exactly as you had written with the additional steps of removing the trusted application definitions before the reboot.I then ran the speedtest and had  Exactly the same problem as i started with. I can recreate this on two laptops, several networks and wifi or ethernet. ExpressVPN recreated it first time i spoke to them. Whilst the trusted application make it work, it is not ideal. The other thing that makes it work is to deactivate the web antivirus component but i do not like that either. This should work out of the box but as speedtest is only used around 15 times per year, i can get by with the trusted application as i only activate these rules for the speedtest and then deactivate them (Safer than exiting kaspersky completely for 5 minutes). Everything else works fine and i dont want to change to another security product nr another VPN.

I just started ExpressVPN and connected to it a Swedish server. Will keep it running for the test of the day, while browsing the internet, mailing and online gaming. Will see whether I can reproduce the issue you described.
The only think I change is that I moved the ExpressVPN.exe manually to "Trusted Group" in the Application 

Geraner, i think you misunderstood the definition of my problem. I can and do run ExpressVPN very happily all over the world in fact never had a problem. However from time to time, i need to use the speedtest function of expressvpn. So, i disconnect the vpn and run the "speedtest" option (See attached screenshot) which does a latency test and linespeed tests against all expressVPN servers worldwide. This fails, everytime, in every country and that is my problem.

I am interested if it works for you.

Nigel

2018-01-03.png

Well, now I understand. - Was easy for me to reproduce this problem and getting the same result.
I was not even ware of this "Speedtest" function inside ExpressVPN. So I never used it before.

Express-Hang.PNG

Yep. That is the problem. Seems to work fine while it does all the latency tests but shortly after it starts up/DOWNLOADING Data to all those servers it fails. Web antivirus is the suspect as disable it and speed test works every ime. 

witherndale Thanks for your research, mate! Had exactly the same issue with Kaspersky Internet Security and the solution from quoted post worked for me too.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:37 PM, witherndale said:

Hi,

after some good work with the support tea from Kaspersky, the expressVPN speedtest nw wrks fine. The solution was to add muliple trusted applications. The instructions i received are cut/pasted below.

Files for exclusion:

c:\program files (x86)\expressvpn\xvpnd\xvpnd.exe
c:\program files (x86)\expressvpn\pss\pssilent.exe
c:\program files (x86)\expressvpn\bootstrap\amd64\nssm.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpnd\windows\xvutil\XvUtil.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpn-ui\ExpressVpn.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ExpressVPN\xvpnd\windows\openvpn.exe

A. To add the files to the Trusted applications list, please follow the instructions below: 

To exclude a program please perform the following steps:

1. If the main window of Kaspersky application is not on your desktop, bring it up by double-clicking the Kaspersky desktop shortcut (icon) or by double clicking on the Kaspersky icon in the bottom right corner of the screen;
2. Click on the Gear icon in the bottom left corner of the Kaspersky window;
3. On the left side menu select 'Additional';
4. On the right side menu select 'Threats and Exclusions';
5. Under 'Exclusions' click on 'Specify trusted applications';
6. Click 'Add';
7. Pick an application from the list or click 'Browse' in the bottom left corner to manually locate the application (.exe file).
8. Check the necessary boxes (check all of them) and press 'Add'
9. Repeat for all files.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.