seekermeister

Updating From Pure 3.0 to Total Security 3.0

I guess that Pure 3.0 isn't available anymore, because I was forced to buy the update to Total Security 3.0 instead.  This makes me wonder if I should do a clean install, or install it over the Pure installation?

Hi

Total security 3? Are you sure?

It is better clen install - uninstall old restart pc install new do manual update and restart again without problems.

Thanks, I started uninstalling Pure but it quickly popped the attached error.  Not sure what it means, because I don't have adobe open and didn't see it listed in the Task Manager.  If I say yes, what will it do...just stop installing and wait for me to do it again and then squawk again about my invisible Adobe?

Adobe.JPG

1 hour ago, nexon said:

Hi

Total security 3? Are you sure?

I was very sure, because the email update message from Digital River clearly says so, but now I don't know what is what, because none of the links on it will load a page, I only get aan error message. Looking at the URL it is looking for is for Pure, not Total Security.

Dealing with Digital River has been a very sad experience.  I guess I can't do anything more until I call them tomorrow

Edited by seekermeister

3 hours ago, richbuff said:

Restart the computer and try again. Any better? 

I did that, as it was the only way to get rid of a hung window from the uninstaller, but until I can get some functional download links, there is no point in going any further.

Edited by seekermeister

I finally got the file for Total Security downloaded,but then noticed that it is an .iso file.  Does that mean that the only way to use it is to burn it to a disk first?

So tell me what do you exactly want???

Newest Total security 2017?

Please note kaspersky does not have .iso files. Download only from original sources of kaspersky - exe files.

2 hours ago, nexon said:

So tell me what do you exactly want???

I don't know how to answer this question, because it seems it should already be obvious by my previous posts in this thread.

Newest Total security 2017?

Yes, I know. This is how the file is labeled:  kts17.0.0.611en_10759.iso

Please note kaspersky does not have .iso files. Download only from original sources of kaspersky - exe files.

Strange, because I downloaded via the link provided by Digital River, and it appeared to be a true Kaspersky page, and there was no choice of file types, only the .iso that I have.  Which appears to leave only the option of burning it to a disk, unless someone has a better idea.

Edited by richbuff
I removed your reply from inside the quotebox.

You can download the latest product updates from here.

Click on the first link in this topic, then under Total security click on Update to download the latest installer.

13 minutes ago, Adam1972 said:

You can download the latest product updates from here.

Click on the first link in this topic, then under Total security click on Update to download the latest installer.

Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure that it helps, because I don't know if a trial version can be activated, plus the name of the file makes it appear that it is for French, instead of English, even though English was selected.  Here is how it is labeled:  kts18.0.0.405aben_es_fr_12636

Edited by seekermeister

Don't click on the red Free Trial button, click the update button underneath it.

I'm on the UK site & clicking that button gives me kts17.0.0.611en-gb_full

Which site are you trying to download from ?

kts.png

2 minutes ago, Adam1972 said:

Don't click on the red Free Trial button, click the update button underneath it.

I'm on the UK site & clicking that button gives me kts17.0.0.611en-gb_full

Which site are you trying to download from ?

On closer examination of the url I notice that nothing in it specifically mentions Kaspersky, even though the page displayed does.  This makes me think that it is nothing more than a Digital River page.  Never the less, I don't understand why I don't get a a file like you do from the KL update page?  For what it's worth, I'm attaching a screenshot of the Digital River page:

2 minutes ago, Adam1972 said:

kts.png

KL.JPG

I've just had a look on the USA site & downloaded the file myself

When you go to install it, it asks if you want to install English, French or Spanish so you should be okay to use that file, then activate using the code from Digital River, then run a database update & reboot.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/total-security

Edited by Adam1972

I don't know why , but in the language drop down, the only option available for me is English, in Firefox Opera or IE, Yet the file it produces is the French one.  Something is wrong, but I have no idea what?

EDIT:  I just reread your post and saw that you were speaking of a language selection in the installer, rather than on the webpage.  It still bothers me that the version number (18.0.0.405) is higher than I expected it to be.

Edited by seekermeister

Version 18 is gradually rolling out, your activation code will be fine with it as it allows you to go 3 versions forward.

Really!  Okay I'll try it.  However I have a couple of other wrinkles to iron out before doing so.  For some reason, my desktop has died.  Whenever  I left or right click on the desktop the only thing happens is I get a loud Windows sound, which denotes an error of some kind.  Even files on the desktop are inaccessible, but everything else works normally.  Since my current Kaspersky has been coughing up some fur balls, I'm wondering if this might be related, or Windows is just doing it's own thing?

Edited by seekermeister

If you buy a licence for version 17 it is good to activate versions 18 to 20 as well, you get free upgrades to the latest version during your licence period.

As for your Windows problem it might be worth posting a GetSystemInfo report, especially if it interferes with Kaspersky, and to rule out any sort of infection or incompatible software/junkware, instructions for the GSI are in the 2nd pinned topic at the top of this forum section.

1 hour ago, Adam1972 said:

If you buy a licence for version 17 it is good to activate versions 18 to 20 as well, you get free upgrades to the latest version during your licence period.

Yes but if 18 is already available, I should have been sold an 18 license not just a 17.  Something else along these lines I'm wondering about is that what Digital River sold me is titled Pure Total Security 3.0, not Just Total Security.  It makes it sound kind of like some kind of hybrid, which if so, again raises the question in my mind if I should do a clean install or over the top?

As for your Windows problem it might be worth posting a GetSystemInfo report, especially if it interferes with Kaspersky, and to rule out any sort of infection or incompatible software/junkware, instructions for the GSI are in the 2nd pinned topic at the top of this forum section.

Hmm, II don't know that it is causing a problem with Kaspersky so much as Kaspersky might be causing a problem with Windows.  The only reason I say that is because of the timing.  The problem popped up very shortly after the license for it expired and a couple of aborted attempts at uninstalling it

Edited by seekermeister

Your event viewer is flooded with VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) errors.

Hold down the Windows key & press R, type services.msc and press enter.

Make sure that the COM+ Event System service is set to automatic and the Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual.

Also, File List Generator is being flagged as potentially incompatible with Kaspersky.

If still no go with the desktop, try the system file checker, click the start button & type CMD.

Right click on command prompt in the search results and run it as administrator, then type sfc/scannow and press enter, the scan will take a while but at the end it will let you know if there were corrupt files and if SFC was able to repair them.

As for clean install vs over the top install, the forum recommended method is to first uninstall the old version, reboot, install new version, update databases, reboot again.

During the uninstall you can opt to save licence info if you still have time left on it, but it is always a good idea to have your activation code handy just in case.

Thanks, the Com + Event was already set on automatic, but I did reset Volume Shadow Copy to manual.  I had already ran SFC yesterday and it didn't find any problems.  As far as the File List Generator goes, I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate.

I now understand your recommendation regarding the installation, but would still like your input regarding the cross version naming of the Digital River installation file I mentioned in my last post.

EDIT:  I just remembered about the File List Generator, it's a non-related piece of software that I've had installed for a good long time, which hasn't caused any problems previously.  Therefore I doubt it is the cause of the problem now, unless KL did something to it during the aborted uninstalls.

Edited by seekermeister

Really not sure about the Digital River cross version naming, sounds to me like an error on their website, but never used Digital River myself, Pure changed it's name to Total Security in 2014 I believe.

Well,I got the dead desktop revived, and did a clean install of KTS 18, except I had it leave the old license and then used the new activation code.  It seemed to go smoothly, except that it kept popping a warning svreen that the email detectionwasn't working, so I turned it off in the settings.  I then had it update the database and tried to run a scan, but all attempts to do so failed, regardless of the type I selected.  The only thing I can think of is to reinstall the app, but I'm hoping that there may be a better solution?

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.