supergian

KES 10 SP2 - Restart request

Hello, in the last few days i received two "restart request" message from KES 10 SP2 try icon (all the PCs with KES 10 SP2).

Restartrequired.JPG.d0e19f7850de1082783d3fe35fbdb7da.JPG

But I can not understand the reason.
Has any updates been released?

I have KSC 10 SP2 MR2 10.4.343 - NetAgent 10.4.343

I've gotten the same. I noticed it again when I unlocked my computer this morning. I'm interested in this myself. Thanks!

There is a different thread open for this question. I'd like to know more about these updates and when a reboot will be required. Apparently, it has something to do with KES OpenSSL components. I have received the update notification multiple times.

As soon as I got to work this morning I got hammered with "why did Kaspersky reboot my PC?"  Of course my first response was "It can't be Kaspersky because I have it set so that it must have my approval prior to software updates!"

Once I get logged in and start checking event logs, sure enough a database update has triggered a reboot countdown.

It would be nice to have some type of advanced notification from Kaspersky when something like this is coming down the pipe.  Grant us sys admins the opportunity to have a plan of action.  I could have stayed late last night, made temporary changes to the system, etc.  Just being aware of it would helped so I'm not a deer in headlights at 8AM!

8 минут назад, todd.scallions сказал:

As soon as I got to work this morning I got hammered with "why did Kaspersky reboot my PC?"  Of course my first response was "It can't be Kaspersky because I have it set so that it must have my approval prior to software updates!"

Once I get logged in and start checking event logs, sure enough a database update has triggered a reboot countdown.

It would be nice to have some type of advanced notification from Kaspersky when something like this is coming down the pipe.  Grant us sys admins the opportunity to have a plan of action.  I could have stayed late last night, made temporary changes to the system, etc.  Just being aware of it would helped so I'm not a deer in headlights at 8AM!

Could you please provide full GSI report with event logs included.

For example when the software automatically updates then basically there is a notification screen on the bottom asking to restart the computer? Like the option to click the "restart" or restart later"? I think there is an option but I totally agree with todd regarding about this issue. 

Kindly regards. smile4.gif

15 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

There is a different thread open for this question. I'd like to know more about these updates and when a reboot will be required. Apparently, it has something to do with KES OpenSSL components. I have received the update notification multiple times.

GuiltySpark, we received the OpenSSL update last week but it did not trigger a reboot required on any of the end-user PC's.  There was a bang on the tray icon stating that the application itself needed to be restarted.  I was able to manage application restarts via Security Center without the need to reboot the entire PC.  This update is actually triggering a O/S reboot and Network Agent is following my policy to notify every 10min and then force reboot after 1hr.  I would just like some type of advanced notice of a database update that is going to require a O/S reboot.

I agree with todd and others, this is not a consumer version and there are expectations in the corporate world that we can notify users (and more importantly, management) in advance of a forced reboot. Most of our users have never seen a Kaspersky message and have been flooding the internal help desk with calls. This is the type of change that should be made in approved updates and not routine daily detection databases. We need an explicit option or recommended configuration to prevent this kind of behavior. The log files should be unnecessary since Kaspersky knows (or should know) exactly what it is pushing.

There's too much going on with Kaspersky in the news to have this literally thrown in every executive's face. There are going to be a lot of questions today and blaming the vendor rarely is acceptable in many organizations. I've already been on defense with Kaspersky internally and this 'expected behavior' is not helping.

I purposely have my Network Agent policy configured to Prompt user for action->Repeat prompt every 10min->Force restart after 60min because these are the settings I want for my infrastructure when I approve a software update.  This allows me to approve updates after hours but still gives any users that might be working late, remote, etc. to save their work and prepare.  I also get the peace of mind that the update is not only installed but it's not just sitting there waiting for the user to manually reboot.

What happened has happened.  I don't think anyone in this thread is necessarily seeking a solution as to the why or how but rather we are voicing our concerns that if a simple Definition Database update (a task that runs multiple times all day every day) is going to require a reboot, then a heads up from Kaspersky would be much appreciated.  

This is obviously not typical behavior of Kaspersky which is why you have admins here posting that we are surprised to see this happen.

Again, I think todd has said it very well. We understand the need to update these components, but this cannot happen as part of a task we run many times per day. We had our agent set up similarly to his description for the same reason, but have always scheduled and deployed our upgrades/updates in ways which the agent's message and restart would never be triggered.

I'm thoroughly pleased with the efficacy of Kaspersky's protection, but this decision and action has really ruined several people's day, and that is just in our office. I can't imagine how many other KES admins out there that aren't participating in the forum had the same experience.

Please, for the sanity of the administrators and our users, make these types of updates into patches we can integrate into our change management processes.

Was surprised to see hundreds of PCs requiring a restart after I received the daily protection report.  There are some machines that need to have scheduled reboots since they run 24/7 serving a certain function on the network (time card polling, etc) which is an administrative headache. Hoping not to see anymore of these in future.