Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Ok, here is the issue:

 

1) I am a Thunderbird user for email

2) With previous versions of KAV (I go back to 5.0) I have never had a problem with this.

3) Now whenever KAV starts its weekly scan. It wants me to set Outlook as my default email client and says I don't have one.

 

NOTE: I have tested that it is scanning my Thunderbird mail by sending a test virus to the account and KAV picks it up as soon as it arrives..

 

How do I stop this.. It's annooying

 

I am running Version 6.0.2.621,

Share this post


Link to post

Hi cajuntek,

 

Do you use Win XP? If so, what happens if you set Thunderbird as default mail program through the 'Set default programs' applet of Win XP?

Share this post


Link to post
Hi cajuntek,

 

Do you use Win XP? If so, what happens if you set Thunderbird as default mail program through the 'Set default programs' applet of Win XP?

 

 

Yes... I do and It was set that way... but it appears however that some recent update undid what I did... :o But to be sure.. I'll have to wait until next week for my next scan.. (Note: I know I could run an extra scan, but I'm stuck with a short weekend and a loooong workweek..

Share this post


Link to post
Hello

also you can disable the scan of mail databases (scan->my computer) if it continues. Because you aren't using outlook you won't loose anything.

 

I actually had already tried that.. It didn't solve the problem.. :(

remember this only occured when I was doing a weekly scan.. It never occured when KAV was scanning email (and it still did. I tested by sending a zipped eicar file from my google account to my main email address)

 

But I found the answer.

 

1) It was when I updated Thunderbird from 1.5 to 1.5.01. Apparently this prevents Thunderbird from being the default email client to windows as the uninstall.log in the registry remains in the 1.5 location and it bombs when you try to make it the default email client to windows.

 

2) The answer here was amazingly simple.. I updated Thunderbird from 1.5.01 to 2.0 and my problems disappeared. There is a new uninstall.log in the registry in the 2.0 location and the Set as default function in the Set Programs Access and defaults app works as advertised... Go figure...

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.