A friend wants me to install Kaspersky internet security on a very old notebook, the notebook is installed with Windows XP sp3 (used for running old programs) and Windows Vista, the setup is you choose which operating system you require when the system is booting. The notebook is always used offline and the only reason why an internet security program is required is for when using external hard drives and memory cards.

My questions:

Is XP and Vista still supported with Kaspersky Internet Security programs?

If so

Because it is a dual boot system do I have to install Kaspersky separately on each operating system? and does count for one or two licences?

Is XP and Vista still supported with Kaspersky Internet Security programs?
Yes, both are still supported. But please note that for XP you need NTFS formated systemdrive instead FAT32.

Please take a look into the Kaspersky online support pages concerning your Kaspersky product. For instance about KIS v2017: http://support.kaspersky.com/12743

Because it is a dual boot system do I have to install Kaspersky separately on each operating system? and does count for one or two licences?
Yes, every system needs its own Kaspersky installation. The count is of one licence for both boot systems together when the boot systems are placed on only one platform which guarantees that only one Kaspersky installation can be used at the same time (instead: Installation on a virtual machine needs an additional licence)

One additional point:

Please take also care about the used type of CPU. The CPU must support the SSE2 instruction set. For example the older AMD AthlonXP CPU does not support the SSE2 but only the SSE instruction set which causes the Kaspersky product to malfunction.

What type of CPU do you use?

Edited by ErnstK

Also, in addition to what ErnstK indicates in the two posts located above this post,

Dual boot license: It looks like the eula wants one license for each operating system: Emphasis in the original, please use your favorite translator:

Всем привет.

Начиная с 2016 версии нашего продукта EULA изменилась в этом плане. Отныне теперь звучит так:

Компьютер – операционная система, виртуальная машина или оборудование, включая рабочую станцию, мобильные устройство или сервер, для работы на котором предназначено ПО и/или на которое устанавливается ПО и/или для которого используется ПО.

Следовательно при превышении количества компьютеров, на которых можно активировать лицензию, код активации может быть заблокирован.

FAQ исправлен, спасибо, что заметили ошибку. Да, и в данном случае саппорт ошибся. Инфа до них доведена.

Also, in addition to what richbuff indicates in the post located above this post,

Dual boot license:

For instance you will find the current EULA of KIS 2017 in English version on the following Kaspersky online support page: http://support.kaspersky.com/12741

Inside this EULA please take a look at point 1.3, 2.2 and 2.3:

"1.3. Computer — the operating system, virtual machine or hardware, including the workstation, mobile device or server for which the Software is intended and/or on which the Software is to be installed and/or used."

"2.2. If the Software was acquired on a physical medium You have the right to use the Software for the number of Computer(s) and/or User Accounts as is specified on the Software package."

2.3. If the Software was received/acquired via the Internet You have the right to use the Software for the number of Computers and/or User Accounts as was specified when You acquired the License to the Software."

Essential note: Inside the current EULA of KIS 2016 the definition of the term "Computer" is another one than inside the EULA of KIS 2017:

1.3. Computer(s) means hardware, including personal computers, laptops, workstations, personal digital assistants, "smart phones", handheld devices, or other electronic devices for which the Software was designed where the Software will be installed and/or used.

Do I have to pay for multiple copies of Kaspersky if I use it on on a single "dual-booting" computer?

I am currently running Windows 7 on my desktop PC but some time ago I downloaded the free update to Windows 10.  I have one HDD running Windows 7 and another HDD running Windows 10.  For a variety of reasons, I am interestd in the possibility of using Kaspersky anti-virus.

Do I need to pay for two copies?

Thanks

To expand a bit on the earlier replies:

A few years back, I recall that you only needed one license to install Kaspersky on 2 different operating systems on a dual-boot computer.  That information was readily shared here on the forum and I believe you could find documentation in the Kaspersky support files to support this.

Having just read the EULA of my KIS2018 product, it seems the term "computer" is now defined as "operating system".  I take that to mean if you have a dual-boot machine, you need a license for each of the 2 installations that would be needed to protect each OS.

I asked a somewhat similar question earlier on today - for which I apologise, I should have searched first.

The answer by dh27564 presents another angle. I have a system running Windows 7; for disaster recovery purposes I have an Image copy of the system partition. Some time ago I accepted Microsoft's nagging and accepted the free update to Windows 10. I "imaged" this and ended up with one HDD running Windows 7 and another HDD running Windows 10 (which as it happens, I have never bothered to use).  All the applications on my Windows 7 system were automatically transferred to the Windows 10 upgrade.

I assume that if I had happened to have Kaspersky installed on my Windows 7 system, it would also have ended up on my Windows 10 system - in breach of my EULA.

In the circumstances, I will stick with my present Anti-Virus software.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.