ba.swht

Installing KES via KSC problem [In progress]

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello.

I have a problem with deployment of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows from Kaspersky Security Center.

Versions:

KES: 10.2.4.674

NA: 10.2.434

KSC Managed computers structure contains besides many groups also groups Install Agent and Install KES. So when we get a new PC we move this computer from Unassigned computers to Install Agent group. Then automatic installation of Network Agent usually starts immediately (a created task is set up to do it this way). After successful deployment of NA we move this computer again to Install KES group. We expect the task will run immediately as well as an installation of NA and takes at most 5-7 minutes as usual. But sometimes we are so wrong.

Sometimes the task starts without problem and deployment is finished within 5 mins.

Sometimes the task doesn't start at all. We don't know why. Sometimes it starts but later it get stuck at 2%, 32%. We don't know why. (All pings work: from server to client PC, from PC to server, from random PC to client PC ...)

When it happens we usually have to do this:

1. We move this PC from Install KES to Install Agent and then to Install KES again. Sometimes it works. If not, we try this 3-5 times. If this doesn't help , we follow the step two.

2. We remove this PC completely from both groups and then we have to find it in Unassigned computers again and then we move the computer to Install KES group. Sometimes the task starts and everything is OK. If not...

3. If not, we try to combine both steps listed above, sometimes 10-15 times. You can imagine it's so irritating.

4. Sometimes nothing helps so we have to leave this computer for hours and then we try the step one and than it usually works.

And this occurs more and more often. Four months ago it happened maybe to 1 PC of 10. Now it is happening to 7 computers of 10. Last time we spent over one hour on it without any results. The next day we tried it and it started immediately and deployment was done within 3 mins.

Last time KSC showed this eror:

Event name Completed with error Severity: Functional failure

Application: Kaspersky Security Center Administration Server

Version number: 10.2.434

Task name: Automatic installation - Kaspersky Security Center Network Agent (10.2.434)

Description: Remote installation completed with error on client computer: Fatal error during installation. (Application cannot be installed. The later version of Network Agent (10.2.2019) is detected.)

It might be a problem of NA. Sometimes it get stuck at Waiting for connection, sometimes at Copying files to..., sometimes at Setup started. But mostly it doesn't start at all. This is my actual problem and I need to solve this first.

In case it is a problem of NA it doesn't explain why KES deployment is not working at one time but I can push it automatically one hour later without any error.

Edited by B=A

Hello.

I have a problem with deployment of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows from Kaspersky Security Center.

Versions:

KES: 10.2.4.674

NA: 10.2.434

KSC Managed computers structure contains besides many groups also groups Install Agent and Install KES. So when we get a new PC we move this computer from Unassigned computers to Install Agent group. Then automatic installation of Network Agent usually starts immediately (a created task is set up to do it this way). After successful deployment of NA we move this computer again to Install KES group. We expect the task will run immediately as well as an installation of NA and takes at most 5-7 minutes as usual. But sometimes we are so wrong.

Sometimes the task starts without problem and deployment is finished within 5 mins.

Sometimes the task doesn't start at all. We don't know why. Sometimes it starts but later it get stuck at 2%, 32%. We don't know why. (All pings work: from server to client PC, from PC to server, from random PC to client PC ...)

When it happens we usually have to do this:

1. We move this PC from Install KES to Install Agent and then to Install KES again. Sometimes it works. If not, we try this 3-5 times. If this doesn't help , we follow the step two.

2. We remove this PC completely from both groups and then we have to find it in Unassigned computers again and then we move the computer to Install KES group. Sometimes the task starts and everything is OK. If not...

3. If not, we try to combine both steps listed above, sometimes 10-15 times. You can imagine it's so irritating.

4. Sometimes nothing helps so we have to leave this computer for hours and then we try the step one and than it usually works.

And this occurs more and more often. Four months ago it happened maybe to 1 PC of 10. Now it is happening to 7 computers of 10. Last time we spent over one hour on it without any results. The next day we tried it and it started immediately and deployment was done within 3 mins.

Last time KSC showed this eror:

Event name Completed with error Severity: Functional failure

Application: Kaspersky Security Center Administration Server

Version number: 10.2.434

Task name: Automatic installation - Kaspersky Security Center Network Agent (10.2.434)

Description: Remote installation completed with error on client computer: Fatal error during installation. (Application cannot be installed. The later version of Network Agent (10.2.2019) is detected.)

It might be a problem of NA. Sometimes it get stuck at Waiting for connection, sometimes at Copying files to..., sometimes at Setup started. But mostly it doesn't start at all. This is my actual problem and I need to solve this first.

In case it is a problem of NA it doesn't explain why KES deployment is not working at one time but I can push it automatically one hour later without any error.

Hello,

KSC server and agent version which you use is on a stage of limited support.

Is it possible to upgrade KSC server and all agents to the latest versions - http://support.kaspersky.com/ksc10#downloads ?

Thank you.

I am afraid it is not possible.

Please attach installation logs from any workstation.

Thank you.

Please attach installation logs from any workstation.

Thank you.

Don't you prefer to see installation logs of a workstation with a problem instead of any workstation?

Which log would you like to see? I've found 13 logs that could be related to this.

Are there exist more logs except C:\Windows\TEMP file?

Don't you prefer to see installation logs of a workstation with a problem instead of any workstation?

Which log would you like to see? I've found 13 logs that could be related to this.

Are there exist more logs except C:\Windows\TEMP file?

Hi,

Could you please collect full GSI log and provide it to us, it will include all files that we need.

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Sorry for inactivity. Since this moment I will be here every day.

I am enclosing a link to a GSI report in a zip file (I've already sent the password to you). GSI report is 3,7MB large so that's why I am posting a link.

This report is taken a several days after installation. I hope it will help you anyway.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?248h07qbigjcitz

Edited by B=A

I am afraid it is not possible.

Hello.

Please specify what limitations you are facing that prevent you from upgrading to the latest versions. Note that a lot of previously existing issues were fixed in these, and unfortunately for limited support products (KSC 10.2.434) issues cannot be escalated for the developers to resolve.

Thank you.

Hello.

Please specify what limitations you are facing that prevent you from upgrading to the latest versions. Note that a lot of previously existing issues were fixed in these, and unfortunately for limited support products (KSC 10.2.434) issues cannot be escalated for the developers to resolve.

Thank you.

Well, my boss disagrees. He says 'maybe later'. That's it. So I need to solve it without upgrading. I just cannot wait months for an upgrade that might or might not help.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Btw. I will send you password to GSI Report too.

Well, my boss disagrees. He says 'maybe later'. That's it. So I need to solve it without upgrading. I just cannot wait months for an upgrade that might or might not help.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Btw. I will send you password to GSI Report too.

In the provided GSI report, Network Agent and KES are installed and running. Please clarify what the issue with the host is.

Thank you.

In the provided GSI report, Network Agent and KES are installed and running. Please clarify what the issue with the host is.

Thank you.

You are right. They are running well NOW. But there were problems during deployment of KES as I explained above. Your colleagues required logs so I provided them.

You are right. They are running well NOW. But there were problems during deployment of KES as I explained above. Your colleagues required logs so I provided them.

Unfortunately, the issue description in the first post is inconclusive. Symptoms indicate entirely different issues. To list in short:

Task stuck at "Scheduled" - computer is unavailable: can be a connectivity issue, or Network Agent is unreachable (if chosen to install by means of Network Agent);

2% indicates the files are being copied to the host by means of Network Agent, or that KSC is trying to authenticate on the host and copy the files otherwise;

32% indicates that the files have been copied, and the installation process has been initiated.

Each is a different installation stage, and each case needs separate investigation. If Network Agent and KES has been successfully installed, it means that whichever reason was causing the task to get stuck or fail, has been resolved. Unfortunately, none of the steps you describe would actually solve any of the possible causes, which makes the description inconsistent. Please let us know if you have a persistent reproduceable issue that can be investigated.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the issue description in the first post is inconclusive. Symptoms indicate entirely different issues. To list in short:

Task stuck at "Scheduled" - computer is unavailable: can be a connectivity issue, or Network Agent is unreachable (if chosen to install by means of Network Agent);

2% indicates the files are being copied to the host by means of Network Agent, or that KSC is trying to authenticate on the host and copy the files otherwise;

32% indicates that the files have been copied, and the installation process has been initiated.

Each is a different installation stage, and each case needs separate investigation. If Network Agent and KES has been successfully installed, it means that whichever reason was causing the task to get stuck or fail, has been resolved. Unfortunately, none of the steps you describe would actually solve any of the possible causes, which makes the description inconsistent. Please let us know if you have a persistent reproduceable issue that can be investigated.

Thank you.

This is persistent issue. Now it happens almost to all computers we want them to have Kaspersky products.

To sum this up:

1. Installation of NA is always OK. There is no problem.

2. Problem occurs when I try to deploy KES. Forget about freezing the installation process. Yes, it is a problem but we have a bigger one that needs to be solved. As I said...

But mostly it doesn't start at all. This is my actual problem and I need to solve this first.

It's really irritating that you have to wait an hour, 5 hours, 10 hours to start an installation process of KES. Trust me.

My question is why it takes so long time to start an installation while network communication is OK, NA is OK etc...? How to prevent it? As you can see in enclosed logs, we deployed NA circa at 3 pm one day but we were able to deploy KES the next day at 7 am.

This is what I am talking about all the time.

This is persistent issue. Now it happens almost to all computers we want them to have Kaspersky products.

To sum this up:

1. Installation of NA is always OK. There is no problem.

2. Problem occurs when I try to deploy KES. Forget about freezing the installation process. Yes, it is a problem but we have a bigger one that needs to be solved. As I said...

It's really irritating that you have to wait an hour, 5 hours, 10 hours to start an installation process of KES. Trust me.

My question is why it takes so long time to start an installation while network communication is OK, NA is OK etc...? How to prevent it? As you can see in enclosed logs, we deployed NA circa at 3 pm one day but we were able to deploy KES the next day at 7 am.

This is what I am talking about all the time.

This could be a KSC issue related to how automatic installation tasks react to multiple reallocations, since this is a bit peculiar and not really a popular scenario. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, version 10.2.434 has limited support, and we are unable to escalate to the developers to investigate this.

However, the easy workaround would be to refer to a much more common installation scenario to install KES bundled with Network Agent without manually moving it twice, either using automatic installation in a single group, or a designated deployment task.

Thank you.

I always perform an installation task on a single computer. Not more. And it happens anyway.

I will try to persuade my boss to upgrade NA but I am still wondering what it would change.

However, the easy workaround would be to refer to a much more common installation scenario to install KES bundled with Network Agent without manually moving it twice, either using automatic installation in a single group, or a designated deployment task.

I will try this.

Thank you.

I always perform an installation task on a single computer. Not more. And it happens anyway.

I will try to persuade my boss to upgrade NA but I am still wondering what it would change.

I will try this.

Thank you.

Please let us know afterwards if this helped resolve the issue for you.

Thank you.

Are you able to find out from logs why I wasn't able to install KES?

Hi,

Could you please attach these logs to forum so all of us could see them and help you.

Thank you!

Hi,

Could you please attach these logs to forum so all of us could see them and help you.

Thank you!

GSI report is too large so I provided a link (password: kasper).

Hi,

Unfortunately, the link is not attached.

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Unfortunately, the link is not attached.

Thank you!

Well, check my comment from yesterday 7:51:

Sorry for inactivity. Since this moment I will be here every day.

I am enclosing a link to a GSI report in a zip file (I've already sent the password to you). GSI report is 3,7MB large so that's why I am posting a link.

This report is taken a several days after installation. I hope it will help you anyway.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?248h07qbigjcitz

Edited by B=A

According to provided logs:

"MSI (s) (0C:F4) [06:02:12:817]: Product: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows -- Installation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (0C:F4) [06:02:12:817]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows. Product Version: 10.2.4.674. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Kaspersky Lab. Installation success or error status: 0."

In order to figure out what goes wrong over the installation we need installation logs collected during unsuccessfull installation.

Thank you!

According to provided logs:

"MSI (s) (0C:F4) [06:02:12:817]: Product: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows -- Installation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (0C:F4) [06:02:12:817]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows. Product Version: 10.2.4.674. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Kaspersky Lab. Installation success or error status: 0."

In order to figure out what goes wrong over the installation we need installation logs collected during unsuccessfull installation.

Thank you!

You are so lucky. Today we needed to install KES and it happened again. NA installation was successful but we are unable to install KES although all pings work. KSC says that the computer is available.

So during this installation I captured this (see attached picture). Link to GSI logs taken during installation process of KES - as you required (too large to upload here): http://www.mediafire.com/file/rmw0aaw6n20ohwv/ (password: kasper)

post-628253-1495796268.png

You are so lucky. Today we needed to install KES and it happened again. NA installation was successful but we are unable to install KES although all pings work. KSC says that the computer is available.

So during this installation I captured this (see attached picture). Link to GSI logs taken during installation process of KES - as you required (too large to upload here): http://www.mediafire.com/file/rmw0aaw6n20ohwv/ (password: kasper)

The attachment on the picture indicates that the files are being copied. This may actually be taking some time depending on the network. How do you tell that the task is stuck? How long does it stay like this? Can you confirm that Network Agent is idle on the destination host, and that nothing is actually being transferred? (Network Agent copies files to <Windows Temp>\KAV Remote Installations folder, please check).

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

The attachment on the picture indicates that the files are being copied. This may actually be taking some time depending on the network. How do you tell that the task is stuck? How long does it stay like this? Can you confirm that Network Agent is idle on the destination host, and that nothing is actually being transferred? (Network Agent copies files to <Windows Temp>\KAV Remote Installations folder, please check).

Thank you.

We gave it an hour for installation. Then we stopped it and tried again. We did it so at least 5 times.

There is no problem in a network. We were able to push the installation to another computer in a few minutes.

I can confirm that there are no files in Temp. I watched this file all the time. Even no folder has created in C:\ProgramFiles\KasperskyLab. Just no file has been copied.

It just stopped at Copying files or Running (I did not captured this one) - both stuck at 2%.

Agent is installed correctly - with no activity.

I also tried to install KES manually from a shared folder. KES installer created a folder under C:\...\KasperskyLab and copied some, maybe all files to C:\ProgramFiles\KasperskyLab\Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 ... but it stuck at Installing drivers. The installation took so far over an hour so I stopped the manual installation.

Edited by B=A