• Announcements

• Rodion Nagornov

Недоступность форума // Forum maintenance   08/16/2017

В связи с техническими работами форум будет недоступен с 20.00 (МСК) 18.08.2017. Максимальное время недоступности - до 20.00 (МСК) 20.08.2017. *** Due to maintenance forum will be unavailable since 8pm (+3 GMT) 18-Aug-2017. The longest possible time of maintenance - till 8.pm (+3 GMT) 20-Aug-2017.
Michel-B

Migrating Application Categories from SP1 to SP2 fails [2205111] [2178362]

28 posts in this topic

I've upgraded my KSC to 10.4.343 and now have issues with Application Startup Control. I understand this part has some significant changes to it and I had to recreate the policy, which is fine. The Application Categories I created did migrate to the new version so I used those when I built my new policy.

Now it turns out the whole component simply isn't working anymore because of some categories I've added. I'm using a White List setup but everything was whitelisted. Even executables and script that actually HIT the default deny rule were allowed.

How is this possible? And how do I use the categories I've created in the earlier versions? I suspect it has something to do with the fact I'm using a MD5 file hash as a condition, is this correct? If that's the case, I have a serious problem. I have hundreds of files added to my whitelist for this one company based on the MD5 file hash.

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 15.05.2017 14:31)
I've upgraded my KSC to 10.4.343 and now have issues with Application Startup Control. I understand this part has some significant changes to it and I had to recreate the policy, which is fine. The Application Categories I created did migrate to the new version so I used those when I built my new policy.

Now it turns out the whole component simply isn't working anymore because of some categories I've added. I'm using a White List setup but everything was whitelisted. Even executables and script that actually HIT the default deny rule were allowed.

How is this possible? And how do I use the categories I've created in the earlier versions? I suspect it has something to do with the fact I'm using a MD5 file hash as a condition, is this correct? If that's the case, I have a serious problem. I have hundreds of files added to my whitelist for this one company based on the MD5 file hash.

Hello.

Due to the changes in file hash calculation between versions, certain categories might need to be recreated in order to work properly. Such categories will not show up when creating rules for KES SP2.

The white list issue might not be related however, in case you are using it in "Notify" mode, and not "Block" mode.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Due to the changes in file hash calculation between versions, certain categories might need to be recreated in order to work properly. Such categories will not show up when creating rules for KES SP2.

This is a huge problem... I have literally hundreds of executables and scripts based on MD5 file hashes in there...

The white list issue might not be related however, in case you are using it in "Notify" mode, and not "Block" mode.

Sadly, no. I do have it set to Block.

hC2SZ7T.png

vgjyX2B.png

I believe this is a bug in KSC that's been around for a while now. Please refer to this topic where a similar issue occured: https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=326757

I see now that, when I add a faulting category to a rule, the rule's name is displayed as 'Category is not defined' in KES and then breaks the entire module.

I also get the notification when the policy is applied:

Event type: Task settings error. Settings not applied

Edited by Michel-B

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 15.05.2017 15:32)
This is a huge problem... I have literally hundreds of executables and scripts based on MD5 file hashes in there...

Sadly, no. I do have it set to Block.

hC2SZ7T.png

vgjyX2B.png

I believe this is a bug in KSC that's been around for a while now. Please refer to this topic where a similar issue occured: https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=326757

I see now that, when I add a faulting category to a rule, the rule's name is displayed as 'Category is not defined' in KES and then breaks the entire module.

I also get the notification when the policy is applied:

Event type: Task settings error. Settings not applied

Please provide a screenshot of the entire properties section if possible.

Does this issue only occur when legacy categories are used in rules?

Thank you.

Sadly, I can't really show the previous state anymore. In the meanwhile, I deleted the categories that showed up as 'Category is not defined' in KES and tried re-adding them.

In the screenshot below for example, you can see the category called KMWE Software SP1, but when I try to add this to the policy, it won't show up. I've created a new blank category named KMWE Software (without the SP1 in the name) and that does show up, but there's no way for me to copy all the items from the old category to the new one.

bbhFDt5.png

osAmoHj.png

Now, I'm going to make it even stranger. In my SP2 policy I have removed all of my categories except for Trusted Updaters, Golden Image and a category I've created myself called Safe Folders. I've just created this category from scratch, it didn't exist before. Right now, I did change the action to Notify because I don't want to interfere with people.

Qb55zQY.png

In the Safe Folders category I've added the folders for Program Files.

xoJFIJ0.png

Still, I'm getting all these events:

8XoFhZU.png

7BogRPl.png

This happens on a lot of clients (not sure if it's on all), and I can see the policy has been applied to these clients.

In the scenario you describe in the previous post, the issue is different from the initial one. Please describe in more detail whether the applications that should be blocked are actually allowed, or vice versa, and under which condition this happens.

Thank you.

In the scenario you describe in the previous post, the issue is different from the initial one. Please describe in more detail whether the applications that should be blocked are actually allowed, or vice versa, and under which condition this happens.

Thank you.

Ok lets focus on the last issue, since the first part is clearly bugged, I'll get back to that later.

A category with C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\ added as Application Folders. I've also added a specific folder with an executable I use for testing just to be sure.

Example:

MP3noHm.png

5A1qcf1.png

JDPdbbb.png

Like I said, I've changed it to notify for testing purposes, but it's still reported as blocked in notify mode.

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 15.05.2017 20:46)
Ok lets focus on the last issue, since the first part is clearly bugged, I'll get back to that later.

A category with C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\ added as Application Folders. I've also added a specific folder with an executable I use for testing just to be sure.

Example:

MP3noHm.png

5A1qcf1.png

JDPdbbb.png

Like I said, I've changed it to notify for testing purposes, but it's still reported as blocked in notify mode.

Hello,

please attach klnagchk report from the host where the event occurred.

Thank you.

I've sent a private message containing the logfile.

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 15.05.2017 20:46)

Example:

MP3noHm.png

5A1qcf1.png

JDPdbbb.png

Please provide the following data for investigation:

1. Export of the active policy

2. Export of local settings from KES host where the issue occurs

3. KES traces during the test application run

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Please check the private message.

Edited by Michel-B

Any updates on this?

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 18.05.2017 09:09)
Any updates on this?

Hello,

sorry for late response.

Please send all collected information to the user

Thank you.

Hello,

sorry for late response.

Please send all collected information to the user

Thank you.

I did. Please check the message I sent on 16-5 at 10:11.

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 18.05.2017 13:49)

Issue 2205111 was submitted.

Please wait information from developers.

Thank you.

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 18.05.2017 13:49)

Information from developers :

Category "Safe Folders" does not appear in KES traces.

Please collect KES traces since KES launch:

1. enable KES traces - http://support.kaspersky.com/9343

2. reboot the computer

3. reproduce the problem (get a notification about prohibited application)

4. disable KES traces.

Thank you.

Done. You have a new message with a link to the traces.

I did that already, please check the message on 19.05.2017 14:43

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 22.05.2017 08:55)
I did that already, please check the message on 19.05.2017 14:43

We sent the new traces to the developers. We will inform you later, when we get answer.

Thanks!

I found out something...

When I add the path:

C:\Program Files\

It doesn't work.

However, when I add one of the following:

C:\Program Files\*

C:\Program Files\*.*

C:\Program Files\*.exe

It does work (the last one only for executables obviously). Has this changed in SP2? Because I never had to use the asterisk in SP1.

Hi,

Thank you for that info!

Still, if this is the solution it's unacceptable. Why has this behaviour suddenly changed?

QUOTE(Michel-B @ 23.05.2017 10:07)
Still, if this is the solution it's unacceptable. Why has this behaviour suddenly changed?

Because, we changed the component functionality.

Thank you!

Yet, there's no support articles that reflect this change.

Other question related to this: Before I was able to use variables in the folder path.

For example:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\*

or

%localappdata%\Microsoft\*

Can you please verify if this is still supported? Executables added to the whitelist with these folder paths are not allowed anymore since upgrading to SP2.