aseddon

KSC 10.3 Tasks that never end [In progress]

Using "on completing another task" will not work if the task overall never stops or fails, this is what this 'pecularity' is causing so this won't help. Also it can't be scheduled for a different day only when the first task finishes at a random time, so we would have no control of when the task actually ran - we need to be able to force certain times to avoid busy periods.

My tasks are already "install required updates and fix vulnerabilities" , if you mean can i have only 1 task like this then no not really, i need multiple tasks to spread the load and minimize disruption.

so in the screenshot given before you can see the following tasks, which mean:

Mon is non-disruptive and quick installs like flash and shockwave at 10am at restart or shutdown

Tues updates all apps except java at restart or shutdown

Weds is non-disruptive and quick installs like flash and shockwave at 10am at restart or shutdown

Thurs forces install of non-disruptive and quick installs like flash and shockwave at 3pm

Fri forces updates all apps inc. java at 3pm

this is least disruption to devices and our end users as a soft update at start of week which is based upon restarts, and which gets stronger each day until end of week forces those still outstanding to do immediately.

I can confirm this 'strange behaviour' of tasks.

We have a task "Find vulnerabilities and missing patches" running each Wednesday. Run missed tasks is NOT enabled.

Expected behaviour: Laptops that are not online on Wednesday will not be scanned by this task until next Wednesday when the task starts again. (Because the task was originally MISSED and we don't have Run missed tasks enabled).

What happens: Thursday morning when the laptops come into the office and get in touch with KSC, the task starts, even though the Run missed tasks checkbox is NOT ticked.

This might be by design, but I agree with the original poster that the wording of the check boxes could be better, or the explanation in the manual could be rewritten.

Hi

Has this issue been passed on to the Dev's, or do you need more information gathered?

Thanks

Hi

Has this issue been passed on to the Dev's, or do you need more information gathered?

Thanks

Please submit an incident in Company Account and describe your suggestion.

please inform us of the incident number.

Thank you.

Please submit an incident in Company Account and describe your suggestion.

please inform us of the incident number.

Thank you.

ok sure, i think i'll also discuss this with our account manager next week.

also please note that i have also seen a new quirk, where a task is forced to stop by me and stops, and then a little while later it is running again, see screenshot

disproving the suggestion that if a task is running and a new client turns on it keeps the task running. Clients are simply running whenever they want in my opinion and can't be controlled as an effective systems management solution should manage them.

post-441385-1488557832_thumb.png

Edited by aseddon

ok sure, i think i'll also discuss this with our account manager next week.

also please note that i have also seen a new quirk, where a task is forced to stop by me and stops, and then a little while later it is running again, see screenshot

disproving the suggestion that if a task is running and a new client turns on it keeps the task running. Clients are simply running whenever they want in my opinion and can't be controlled as an effective systems management solution should manage them.

Did you stop the task for a machine or a whole group ?

Thank you.

Did you stop the task for a machine or a whole group ?

Thank you.

the task in the group where it is located was stopped (i did not stop the task by accessing an individual machine) - this i assume is why the task then shows "Last Command Stop (27/02/2017 14:27:03)"

Edited by aseddon