Axel2016

Migrate KSC to a new domain [In progress]

Good morning,

shortly we will create a new domain and we will move all our clients on it. We are not going to migrate the domain (dirty AD), we will create a parallel domain and migrate the clients with a tool.

At the moment, the clients are connected to the KSC using FQDN.

Since the KSC is on a server with static IP, is it enough to change the connection between agent and KSC and make it via IP using the Klmover? Will that work even after joining the new domain?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Good morning,

shortly we will create a new domain and we will move all our clients on it. We are not going to migrate the domain (dirty AD), we will create a parallel domain and migrate the clients with a tool.

At the moment, the clients are connected to the KSC using FQDN.

Since the KSC is on a server with static IP, is it enough to change the connection between agent and KSC and make it via IP using the Klmover? Will that work even after joining the new domain?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hello.

KSC requires backup and re-installation for any network settings change.

Before shutting down the old server, you will need to run "Change Administration server" task for all the managed hosts, so that they can connect once you bring up the new server and restore your backup on it.

Thank you.

Hello.

KSC requires backup and re-installation for any network settings change.

Before shutting down the old server, you will need to run "Change Administration server" task for all the managed hosts, so that they can connect once you bring up the new server and restore your backup on it.

Thank you.

Hi.

I have a similar task to accomplish as OP.

So far we have been running KSC 10 on Windows 7 computer in a same workgroup as client computers (no AD in company).

Now we have setup a new domain and we wish to migrate KSC to a new server (secondary domain controller), ofcourse with different IP and hostname (same private network).

If I understand correctly, I should do the following for succesful migration of KSC and all its clients onto a new server:

1. Run "Backup of Administration Server Data" on old KSC computer (just in case or really need this for importing later?)

2. Export active policy on old KSC

3. Run "Change Administration Server" on old KSC computer

4. Remove licenses from old KSC

5. Install KSC in on new server, add licences

6. Import policy on new server

7. Check on new KSC for client groups and status

8. If some clients didn't migrate on new KSC, manually run Klmover via command prompt on those clients, specifying new server address and log path.

Is there more to this migration that I'm missing?

Regards

Hi.

I have a similar task to accomplish as OP.

So far we have been running KSC 10 on Windows 7 computer in a same workgroup as client computers (no AD in company).

Now we have setup a new domain and we wish to migrate KSC to a new server (secondary domain controller), ofcourse with different IP and hostname (same private network).

If I understand correctly, I should do the following for succesful migration of KSC and all its clients onto a new server:

1. Run "Backup of Administration Server Data" on old KSC computer (just in case or really need this for importing later?)

6. Import policy on new server

7. Check on new KSC for client groups and status

8. If some clients didn't migrate on new KSC, manually run Klmover via command prompt on those clients, specifying new server address and log path.

Is there more to this migration that I'm missing?

Regards

Hello.

The steps are correct.

Administrator Server data includes server configuration, managed devices hierarchy, policies and tasks, and the server certificate. The latter is necessary for the Network Agents to treat the new KSC installation as the same server, not a new one. All of the former is optional (in fact, only the certificate may be backed up); however, it relieves you of the necessity to reconfigure the new server by hand.

Thank you.

Hello.

The steps are correct.

Administrator Server data includes server configuration, managed devices hierarchy, policies and tasks, and the server certificate. The latter is necessary for the Network Agents to treat the new KSC installation as the same server, not a new one. All of the former is optional (in fact, only the certificate may be backed up); however, it relieves you of the necessity to reconfigure the new server by hand.

Thank you.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Following below path, I've managed to migrate KSC 10 to new server, just added another step for Administration Server Data restore (6):

1. Run "Backup of Administration Server Data" on old KSC computer - used klbackup utility

6. Administration Server Data restore on new server - again used klbackup utility

7. Import policy on new server

8. Check on new KSC for client groups and status

9. If some clients didn't migrate on new KSC, manually run Klmover via command prompt on those clients, specifying new server address and log path.

I haven't actually had enough time to manually run klmover (step 9), but there is just a few clients who didn't migrate, and it seems that they've all been offline during migration.

I will post final results back here when everything is finished.

Regards

Thanks for your valuable input.

Following below path, I've managed to migrate KSC 10 to new server, just added another step for Administration Server Data restore (6):

1. Run "Backup of Administration Server Data" on old KSC computer - used klbackup utility

6. Administration Server Data restore on new server - again used klbackup utility

7. Import policy on new server

8. Check on new KSC for client groups and status

9. If some clients didn't migrate on new KSC, manually run Klmover via command prompt on those clients, specifying new server address and log path.

I haven't actually had enough time to manually run klmover (step 9), but there is just a few clients who didn't migrate, and it seems that they've all been offline during migration.

I will post final results back here when everything is finished.

Regards

Please let us know afterwards, whether the process was successful.

Thank you!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.