ak01

KSC10 Flash Player installation without warning [In progress]

I am using KSC 10 (10.2.434 Patch E) and I am using the automatic installation package generation “from Kaspersky-Lab-Database” for Adobe Flash Player.

When I generate a task out of such a package (either ActiveX oder NPAPI Flash Player) and the internet explorer is started on the target computer, the user gets a warning to close iexpore.exe (and the user can skip that as well, which installs the flash player anyway -> the flash player can be installed even when internet explorer is running).

When I generate a user defined installation package and start install_flash_player_ax.exe with “-install” as option, the flash player gets installed nevertheless the internet explorer is started or not (without warning).

Is it possible to suppress this user notification when the installation package got generated “from Kaspersky-Lab-Database” (e.g. within the vapm.kud)?

I am using KSC 10 (10.2.434 Patch E) and I am using the automatic installation package generation “from Kaspersky-Lab-Database” for Adobe Flash Player.

When I generate a task out of such a package (either ActiveX oder NPAPI Flash Player) and the internet explorer is started on the target computer, the user gets a warning to close iexpore.exe (and the user can skip that as well, which installs the flash player anyway -> the flash player can be installed even when internet explorer is running).

When I generate a user defined installation package and start install_flash_player_ax.exe with “-install” as option, the flash player gets installed nevertheless the internet explorer is started or not (without warning).

Is it possible to suppress this user notification when the installation package got generated “from Kaspersky-Lab-Database” (e.g. within the vapm.kud)?

Hello!

Please describe the policy and task, you are using to install the package.

Thanks!

I go to Remote installation -> installation packages -> create installation package -> “select an application from Kaspersky Lab database to create an installation package” -> look for *Flash* -> Next,Next,Next,...,Finish.

KES Policy: I guess you mean The Notifications part which can be changed under “Advanced Settings” -> Interface -> Notifications -> Settings. I am not aware that I changed something according to notifications so that part should have the default settings (as if you create a new policy and do not change anything).

From my point of view there is other software (e.g. java) which need to have some other applications closed (e.g. internet explorer) in order to be able to be installed. That is a good and useful feature, but it is not necessary for flash any more (that changed since a particular flash version in the past).

In that certain case, flash can also be installed without having IE closed and I guess someone must have defined within KSC that the flash player installation task should look for iexplore.exe processes (where did you define that?). This definition can be changed.

That’s why I do not think that a general change within the policy would help in my case.

Hi,

You've said:

"...automatic installation package generation “from Kaspersky-Lab-Database” for Adobe Flash Player"

Could you please clarify what task was performed in this case?

BR

I just did a right click on the installation package and "install application".

Am I right that if you use this method warning window is appeared, but when you run install task for the same application with "-install" parameter warning window is not appeared?

BR

That is correct and I want to avoid the warning window (because flash player does not need that and it confuses our users).

I want to have both advantages from these two methods (KSC should download the latest version by itself and should not warn the user about running processes) in case of flash player installation (e.g. java could be different -> maybe java needs to have internet explorer closed).

Unfortunately, automatic update cannot be performed with parameters unlike application installation task.

You've mentioned automatic update, aren't you using "find updates and vulnerabilities" and "install updates and fix vulnerabilities" tasks?

BR

When I download the offline installer executable (install_flash_player_ax.exe), I can create a “installation package for specified executable file”. In order to do a silent installation, I have to put the option “-install” for this particular installation package. That works fine, but I have to download the new version (each month) again and create that installation package on my own. When I create a task out of that installation package, it does not matter if the browser on the target computer is started or not (if the browser plugin is currently in use, the browser will still use the old version and will switch to the new installed one after browser restart).

On the other side, KSC does all that by using “select an application from Kaspersky Lab database to create an installation package” on its own except that (unnecessary) warning for the user.

I do not want to use the automatic update because first of all I have to do a scheduled search (“Find vulnerabilities and required updates”) and after that the 2nd task (“install required updates and fix vulnerabilities”). I think that it takes too long until that installs the new flash player version (and currently I only need the flash player). Are you sure that the automatic task (“install required updates and fix vulnerabilities”) does not warn the user to close the browser in that case? I think it does (I have not tested it yet).

Hi,

Automatic task just runs the installator and does not worn user in any way.

If installator needs any confirmation from user than user will be notified.

Currently, Adobe does not provide the offline installer anymore, so I was not able to download it. What I did was create that “from Kaspersky-Lab-Database” package (KSC downloads the exe file), copied the executable from KLSHARE and created a “installation package for specified executable file” out of that executable with “-install” option (which does not show any warning window).

I think that this warning window is generated by KSC or KSC agent and not from the installer (especially because that window has a Kaspersky logo -> see attachment).

post-561540-1484302911_thumb.png

for example, i found the setting "ForceAppsClosed=0" within klrbtagt.ini

Could you please give me an update on that topic?

I referenced that topic at KSC suggestions topic (https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=263673&st=300&gopid=2677262).

Hello,

KSC server version which you currently use in limited support stage.

Is it acceptable to upgrade KSC server and agents ?

The provided link doesn't refer to your posts.

Please correct it.

Thank you.

Hello,

KSC server version which you currently use in limited support stage.

Is it acceptable to upgrade KSC server and agents ?

The provided link doesn't refer to your posts.

Please correct it.

Thank you.

I use the latest KSC version 10.3.407 patch b and the behaviour is the same.

andreas123 would like to be able to suppress this message,

i would like the text in the message box to be improved as some users think it is malware attacking them (so not great for a AV product)

link to posts is the 'Suggestions for Kaspersky Security Center 10' thread - https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...p;#entry2677300

From my point of view there must be a functionality within network agent which tells it to look for i.e. firefox.exe before installing flash player and pop up this window. Therefore, we are talking about a feature and not a bug. Can you tell me that this particular feature got changed from my KSC version to the latest KSC version?

I just wanted to say that you should change this so that the flash player does not look up (i.e. firefox.exe) any more, but java maybe still needs that feature (I have not tested that).

Maybe a configuration part within klrbtagt.ini within the KLSHARE would be sufficient so that everyone can configure process names and or that particular lookup by himself (on every installation package)?

Generally, I like that feature because it prevents the installation of 3rd party products from failing (because dependencies are not met) but in case of flash player, it is not necessary any more (as far as I noticed).

I think that the behaviour is caused by the program being installed and is not being forced by Network Agent, hence Nikolay's comment "If installator needs any confirmation from user than user will be notified."

So if firefox was open and the install needed it to be closed then the warning would come up, however if firefox was closed the install would continue successfully with no warning. These types of messages would come up doing a manual install too, so i think all that Network Agent is doing is presenting them to the end user in a more friendlier way - my issue is that it is not that friendly!

this also likely means there is no option to suppress this warning, as the installer (flash) needs the program closed before install can complete, probably as files that are open in memory need to be replaced and can only be done when firefox is closed.

i have however noticed that updates can 'fail', so we have had a lot of Java go missing as it seems the uninstall of old versions occur successfully but then the install needs IE to be closed and users cancel the install - therefore Java goes missing, so stopping a user cancelling the warning would be good too.

I think that the behaviour is caused by the program being installed and is not being forced by Network Agent, hence Nikolay's comment "If installator needs any confirmation from user than user will be notified."

So if firefox was open and the install needed it to be closed then the warning would come up, however if firefox was closed the install would continue successfully with no warning. These types of messages would come up doing a manual install too, so i think all that Network Agent is doing is presenting them to the end user in a more friendlier way - my issue is that it is not that friendly!

this also likely means there is no option to suppress this warning, as the installer (flash) needs the program closed before install can complete, probably as files that are open in memory need to be replaced and can only be done when firefox is closed.

i have however noticed that updates can 'fail', so we have had a lot of Java go missing as it seems the uninstall of old versions occur successfully but then the install needs IE to be closed and users cancel the install - therefore Java goes missing, so stopping a user cancelling the warning would be good too.

Please create an incident and describe the feature request.

Thank you.

Your explanation makes sense however when I start the same executable (I copy that from KLSHARE) manually, it does not prompt to close the browser.

I heard that java needs that (browser closed) in order to be successfully installed but I have not tested that (this is done by SCCM in our organisation).

I just want to help improve KSC, I can also do it manually every month.

Your explanation makes sense however when I start the same executable (I copy that from KLSHARE) manually, it does not prompt to close the browser.

I heard that java needs that (browser closed) in order to be successfully installed but I have not tested that (this is done by SCCM in our organisation).

I just want to help improve KSC, I can also do it manually every month.

Feature will not be implemented if customers don't register requests about its necessity.

Thank you.

I upgraded to KSC10 SP1 (10.3.407) and the same windows appears again when I install Flash Player.

Unfortunately, my workaround (download exe and create a custom installation package with -install option) does not work any more. It seems that KSC detects that the uploaded exe is a flash player installation file and therefore pops up that window (to close iexplore.exe/firefox.exe).

You stated that this information (which process has to be closed before installation) is included within the flash player installation file (exe) and KSC/the agent just reads it out of that file. It would be nice to be able to disable this particular window at certain installation tasks/packages (to overrule that condition).

I upgraded to KSC10 SP1 (10.3.407) and the same windows appears again when I install Flash Player.

Unfortunately, my workaround (download exe and create a custom installation package with -install option) does not work any more. It seems that KSC detects that the uploaded exe is a flash player installation file and therefore pops up that window (to close iexplore.exe/firefox.exe).

You stated that this information (which process has to be closed before installation) is included within the flash player installation file (exe) and KSC/the agent just reads it out of that file. It would be nice to be able to disable this particular window at certain installation tasks/packages (to overrule that condition).

Do we understand you correct that offline installer for Adobe flash doesn't work anymore ?

Thank you.

no. Offline Installer works but it always asks for iexplorer/firefox closing when installed by KSC (it does not matter which type of installation package type).

no. Offline Installer works but it always asks for iexplorer/firefox closing when installed by KSC (it does not matter which type of installation package type).

You said here that offline installer with key -install just works fine.

Thank you.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.