PeterQ2

Can't control time in a typical scenario

Maybe I don't understand something but I can't control time in a typical scenario now:

I simple want to limit time: 2h for games per day (day for my children is 8AM - 8PM)

What can I do it? Whether it is at all possible?

Now I can set schedule time table OR time per day. What not AND?

Why can I limit time per application only, not for category? I can't limit time 2h for games now because I can do it per application only. So, I can't do 2h per all games because in summary it gives me all day for gaming.

It should be possible to do limit for children like this:

1. You can use computer from 8AM to 8PM

2. You can spent 2h with games (and other applications in category games/fun)

3. Rest of time You can use computer for other tasks (education apps, reading...)

simple ... but impossible :(

Edited by PeterQ2

Yes, I agree this should be possible on this kind of software, it is frustrating not to be able to set time limit and daily schedule.

I also think that parents should be able to limit time across devices eg 2 hours in total for phone and laptop. I have to set up individual times for each which reduces the flexibility for my children and actually means I allow them more time on devices than I think is desirable. Norton Family had this feature and I was disappointed not to find it on Kaspersky.

Maybe I don't understand something but I can't control time in a typical scenario now:

I simple want to limit time: 2h for games per day (day for my children is 8AM - 8PM)

Why can I limit time per application only, not for category? I can't limit time 2h for games now because I can do it per application only. So, I can't do 2h per all games because in summary it gives me all day for gaming.

3. Rest of time You can use computer for other tasks (education apps, reading...)

Hello!

The infomation has been added to our internal database (1994252).

Thanks for the suggestions.

+1

I am evaluating the Safe Kids and must agree.

The most common features a parent needs are:1

• Web filtering/blocking
  • App filtering/blocking
  • Web time limitting
  • App time limiting

Safe Kids seems to be good at Web and App blocking. Afaik there's no Web time limiting. The App limiting is for individual apps or the whole device. But for me as a parent, that makes no sense... On a smartphone I still want the kid to make phone calls, sms, etc. so blocking the device makes no sense. Blocking individual apps makes managing too difficult and still does not acheive the goal... Will you set time limits to 10 games 5 minutes each? And with the fluctuance of apps on a kid's device this is not managable.

The expectation from the parent is very clear - allow the kid to play games for a specific time - e.g. an hour. Allow the kid to spend a limited time on web. Within that time you don't care much which game the kid is playing, but after spending an hour he/she can't play any more but still can use calc, notes, email or other apps.

I don't undrstand how this natural requirement is missed from the developers of a "parental control" app.

The design should be straightforward: Let the parent assign a category to the app. Optionally let us create custom categories. Allow changing the app category(not possible now. A game is identified as "other" and I can't change it). Let us set time limits on an app category and and calculate the sum of all the apps in the category. After the time limit is spent, block all aps in the category.

Ideally the same for web access. Allowing time limits for internet access. Time limits based on web site categories. Ability to add custom web filters using wildcard.

I really like the Safe Kid's monitoring capabilities - maybe the best I've seen. But I'm not happy with the Controll features that miss my needs as a parent. That's why I'm not buying for now and will investigate other options. Hopefully Kaspersky will adopt these ideas in future versions.

-Tibor

Hello!

The infomation has been also added to our internal database (1994252).

Thanks!

This is a deal-breaker for me. If I can't implement "time of day" AND number of hours per day I'm going to need to get a refund.

Hi!

Also it would be great to create and add to an exception list, which app can be used after blocking the device. For example, kid now can use the phone after blocking, but would be good to use also sms and gmail too.

Safe kids is a very useful and simple to use app. Maybe it needs to add some plus functions to be almost the best :)

I also support to implement using both scheduling and time limit. Now my kids have 1 or 2 hours of use per day, but some times they get up early morning to play, e.g. 5 a.m. on a schoolday.... :)

Thanx in advance.

Csaba

Hi!

Also it would be great to create and add to an exception list, which app can be used after blocking the device. For example, kid now can use the phone after blocking, but would be good to use also sms and gmail too.

Safe kids is a very useful and simple to use app. Maybe it needs to add some plus functions to be almost the best :)

I also support to implement using both scheduling and time limit. Now my kids have 1 or 2 hours of use per day, but some times they get up early morning to play, e.g. 5 a.m. on a schoolday.... :)

Thanx in advance.

Csaba

Hello!

Thank you for the suggestion! We have this one in our list of future improvements for Safe Kids (1809656).

As for a workaround:

1. set device usage period

2. then set app usage period

As I see it does not work...

Hello!

Thank you for the suggestion! We have this one in our list of future improvements for Safe Kids (1809656).

As for a workaround:

1. set device usage period

2. then set app usage period

In case of any issues with KSK - please submit a request to Tech support via my.kaspersky.com and tell me the request (INC) number.

INC000007599302

Thanx :)

In case of any issues with KSK - please submit a request to Tech support via my.kaspersky.com and tell me the request (INC) number.

I reported it 04-12-2016 and received an answer that it will be corrected in the next version of the portal (INC000007051688).

11.04.2017 and still unchanged. App time limit is still nonsense :(

hello!

hun_solo, a new suggestion has been created - to be able to set one period of apps time usage (2166554).

PeterQ2, your INC has been reopened. Please wait for our reply.

Thank you!

Hi,

I set daily time limits for my son's Android cell phone to decrease his internet usage. When he hits his time limit,  text messaging is also blocked. Does anyone know any way to override this? I want him to still be able to communicate and send or receive texts,  just block his internet use. I tried unchecking SMS in the app permission settings for Kaspersky Safe Kids app but it still blocked texts. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

After using apps on multiple devices for some time, I think it would be much easier to configure limits if they were cumulative:

• "Hours per day" and "Schedule" should be common for all devices.
  • It should be possible to set limits for category (e.g. one hour for games per day).
  • Category limits should be cumulative across all devices (if child play for 20 minutes on a tablet, it can play for another 40 minutes on PC or phone)
  • Option to make custom categories, e.g. "Games" + YouTube

Regards,

v
Zeljko

Not for text messages though. It is considered an app apparently so if the time is up for the game apps it also blocks text messages. 

I do not intend to renew the licence. That makes no sense. it's time for a switch to another soft :)

You are right, but only after adding such functionality. Currently, when using "Safe kids", the parent is more frustrated by a lack of control than the child who is controlled:)

I was intending to replace Qustodio (witch has almost all the features requested here, but is very buggy) Kaspersky Safe Kids. Buy this thread is demotivating me...

Edited by Luis Santos
grammar

I suggested the same today. Figured out these weaknesses after only one day. Reading this thread here let me believe, I'm not going to purchase the premium version :-(

KSK would be a great app, if these issues where solved and I would invest some money. But w/o these features, it's nearly useless. Sorry to say.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.