Sign in to follow this  
sewall

corrupted gif files

Our KAV scanner has been finding some corrupted files every week, but this last week it found 266! Reviewing the report, I noticed that they are mostly gif files. What can I do with these corrupted files? (I'm using virus scanner 4.5.0.95) The only other issue on the report were a 36 I/O errors (which I also don't know if I have to address) but this is generally how many I/O errors appear.

Any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated, and I'll try to answer any questions that might help solve the problem.

Thanks!

Hi Sewall & welcome

It isn't a big "problem" you have, this answer was given by Ivan Krasnov from KL-support in a thread about the exact same question:

This error appears in that cases then any other program locks a file checking by AVP. It's a usual situation for work in Windows OS. It may be temporary files, swap files and so on. As the matter of fact these files do not need in virus checking, so this error is not critical and doesn't govern on AVP work as a whole.

You should consider upgrading to version 5.0, the upgrade is free within your license periode, product updates for Kaspersky Anti-Virus Business Optimal: http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates?chapter=146300142. :)

Thanks Don for the prompt reply.

I had read that thread that you quoted from but I hadn't quite understood... now I think it makes sense. However, should I just expect that these numbers will continue to grow and when (if ever) should I be worried that I might have too many corrupt files? On our small network it seems like the ones that show less corrupt files have smoother operation, but I guess this might be more because of varying memory usage...

I am trying to download the upgrade now...

I appreciate the help!

(also, fantastic name by the way)

uh oh

I removed my current version of KAV before installing the new one and now the installation is prompting me to enter the license key... I just installed the new version over the old one on the other two computers (which was before I read your post) and it automatically had a license key. What do I do now? I think the old version is completely gone on this one computer.

whew

found it

sorry to bug you guys more than necessary and thanks again.

p.s. what's the worst that will happen if I leave the other two computers as is? should I remove the new and old versions and setup all over again?

let me know when you have a chance, not urgent

Good that you found it, about the two other mixed installs, why not stay with them for a couple of days, if they are acting weird then uninstall and do a clean install, a clean install is always better in my experience, but you seem to have had plenty excitement for today. ;):)