charliewhatshisname

Secure Connection leaks information

23 posts in this topic

There are a number of "whats my IP" sites. Out of interest I checked them out. as I run "secure connection". Most of them show my IP address in The Netherlands and a service provider called Falcon. One or two of them show my ISP correctly -Sky, plus their correct London address. Conclusion? "Secure connection" from Kaspersky is not so secure. Should I ask for my money back? Does it actually work and make my banking and purchasing safer? How would I know and does it deserve my trust? I think not. Comments would be most welcome.

One or two of them show my ISP correctly

Could you please share a couple of those external web-based services.

Could you please share a couple of those external web-based services.

There are 2 services which knew my correct details

whatsmyip.org

whatismyip.com

I hope this helps and I hope Kaspersky, to whom I have sent a query will take this up with Hotspot Shield and sort it out.

Kaspersky has a reputation to maintain. Promoting a VPN which does not deliver, harms their good name.

On my side the two above services are both providing a virtual location even when choosing several different locations and doesn't show my real ISP details.

This test had been proceeded simultaneously on two separate users - with and without KSC - on a dozen of WAN-IP testing services.

Your problem is not resolvable on this Forum, your best option is the Technical Support : https://center.kaspersky.com

On my side the two above services are both providing a virtual location even when choosing several different locations and doesn't show my real ISP details.

This test had been proceeded simultaneously on two separate users - with and without KSC - on a dozen of WAN-IP testing services.

Your problem is not resolvable on this Forum, your best option is the Technical Support : https://center.kaspersky.com

Thank you for your reply. Technical Support say this is normal behaviour and I have asked hem to upgrade my complaint as I found the reply disgraceful. This is the information that has leaked which proves to me hat the product is not all its cracked up to be.

Your IPv6 Address Is:

2a02:c7f:c409:c800:3071:d6dd:e880:e49

ISP: Sky Broadband

City: Hammersmith

Region: Hammersmith and Fulham

Don't want this known? Hide your IP details

In my opinion Kaspersky shouldn't be promoting this product to their customers. They need to take this up with Hotspot Shield and prevent these known leaks on IPV6 - or alternatively find another more reliable partner.l

Kasprersky's fine reputation is at stake if they persist this with this situation.

Hello,

Please send INC number of your ticket to our Technical Support.

Thanks.

Hello,

Please send INC number of your ticket to our Technical Support.

Thanks.

5 zeros followed by 6819925

I have asked for my money back but it needs sorting. Its a leak on ipv6, a well known fault which should have been dealt with.

Your IPv6 Address Is:

2a02:c7f:c409:c800:3071:d6dd:e880:e49

ISP: Sky Broadband

My computer is assigned by the ISP an IPv6 address as well as an IPv4 address (dual stack operation). If the DNS delivers an IPv6 address, then the connection is established by IPv6, else by IPv4.

When the KSC is disabled the website www.whatsmyip.com shows my real IPv6 address and the location data of my ISP.

When KSC is enabled the website www.whatsmyip.com shows a virtual IPv4 address and the location data of the VPN server.

Examples:

- KSC uses VPN server in the Czech Republic: www.whatsmyip.com shows the IPv4 address 185.89.251.11, which definitely is not my real IPv4 address.

- KSC uses VPN server in the Netherlands: www.whatsmyip.com shows the IPv4 address 146.185.130.26, which definitely is not my real IPv4 address.

I guess that the VPN servers of hotspot shield do not support IPv6. Could it be that on the computer of Charliewhatshisname the KSC was not enabled (though it was perhaps indicated as enabled)?

It would be helpful if other users with IPv6 could check the IP address presented by the VPN to whatsmyip.com.

KIS 17.0.0.611b, Windows 8.1 x64, Firefox (x86) 49.0.1.

Having started this thread, I feel that I should not leave it without further comment. I should add that I am a fervent Kasperky supporter, but I believe that there is a problem with Secure Connection which readers may not be aware of. The thing is, that on the Kapserky UI it says that there is a problem with my security "we recommend that you install Kaspersky Secure Connection". I not only installed it but actually bought the product, as I believed it would enhance my protection. After extensive research I then discovered that it doesn't. (My money has now been returned. Thank you Kaspersky)

The problem is that if you go on the right IP discovery site -because not all of them cover ipv6 - you will discover the leak. I suggest you go onto ipleak.net, This will also show whether there is an RTC leak*. Yet another problem. In other words even if you think you are protected on ipv6 (which you are not), Google Chrome, Firefox and Edge are RTC enabled. This means that whatever VPN you use, your real IP address is revealed. This is not the fault of the VPN program, but it means that VPN protection is compromised. There are ways round this on Firefox and Chrome which you can discover if you Google "RTC leak." (Google Chrome offer an add on, The Firefox script can be amended)

The specific point about Hotspot Shield, notwithstanding the RTC problem, is that neither the free nor the paid for version from Kaspersky offers protection against an ipv6 leak, which means that your IP address and location are revealed. Yet on the paid for version from Hotspot Shield's own website, they offer that protection with Hotspot Shield Elite. There is a tick box to offer IPV6 protection So that is something Kaspersky need to address with Anchor Free, the Hotspot Shield promoters/owners.

So there are 2 problems. They may be connected. First is that neither the free nor paid for version of Kaspersky's Hotspot Shield protects your IPV6 address, even though Hotspot Shield Elite does. Second, that unless you take steps to disable RTC on the popular browsers (which may compromise the use of certain programs that depend on web RTC) your IP address will be revealed regardless.

I really feel that Kaspersky need to address the first problem with Anchor Free and also advise users of this program of the steps to take to disable web RTC. It may be of course, that the one is connected to the other, I am not qualified to know, although the IPV6 leak problem has been known for at least a year.

Kaspersky are offering added protection with the VPN "Secure Connection". Actually they are not, without giving more specific technical advice eg IPV6 and RTC probems. So in that sense I feel, they are letting their customers down. People think they are surfing anonymously when they are not.

So I don't think the "Secure Connection" offer has been properly thought through.

This has been a long posting. Sorry about that. I hope the points have come across clearly enough.

*WebRTC stands for web real-time communications. It is a very exciting, powerful, and highly disruptive cutting-edge technology and standard. WebRTC leverages a set of plugin-free APIs that can be used in both desktop and mobile browsers, and is progressively becoming supported by all major modern browser vendors.

Source WIKI

Dear Charliewhatshisname,

Thanks for detailed answer. At this moment we're working on fix regarding IPv6 leak issue and will update this thread when we'll get any news.

I think that you guys should include the brought version of kaspersky in with the KSC instead of having them sepreate as well, since here in NZ we have trouble with buying the licence from KSC.

The first thing I did after installing this is to visit https://ipleak.net/ which, unfortunately, showed that my connection wasn't particularly secure. Well, it wasn't private at any rate. My true IP and ISP were still available which made the software rather pointless for me. This should be addressed before the software can be considered truly secure.

I just want to shout out the OP, thanks very much mate, help me to decide to not dump my current VPN :-)

What Kaspersky is offering is cheaper and would be more convenient, but it doesn't work then it really is neither

Thanks again to the OP and everyone else in the thread (which needs to be sticky'd)

Posted (edited)

Noting that I am having the same problem almost 6 months after the opening post. Just bought Secure Connection. Checked my ip at whatismyip.com. It shows the IPv6 ip and my accurate location. Same on some other IP sites.

A number of sites do show a virtual address. They must be reporting back on a virtual IPv4 address.

Kaspersky is going to 'investigate' and get back to me. This problem has been around quite some time, however.

Why is Kaspersky continuing to promote virtual IP addresses if the feature doesn't work.

I guess my input is secure in other ways such as everything always being encrypted?

Edited by Abery

Posted (edited)

SOLUTION FOUND

It does not appear Kaspersky is supporting IPv6 connections. Although its network connection is set to use IPv6, their KSC connection reports IPv6 - No Internet Access. My IPS does support it and is checked by default to use it.

So I changed the ISP's broadband connection, accessed Properties and unchecked IPv6 use in the property settings.

Consequently, WhatIsMyIp.com (which showed my real IP address via the IPv6 address) no longer reports my real IP. It is showing the IP address that Kaspersky Secure Connection is using. So the local IP is now hidden by using the KSC network.

How-To-Geek (2013) says IPv6 is not necessary to use today. It is a future-ready feature being rolled out to handle potentially running out of IP addresses. It is not currently in widespread use. Disabling it will not perceptibly affect speed.

It appears there might be security issues around using IPv6 anyway even though it is set by default. Not sure if there are issues turning it off at this point. Does not appear so.

Why isn't Kaspersky handling this condition or appear to know about it and advising how to get around it is the question. They are 'investigating'.

Edited by Abery

Posted (edited)

Many IP checking sites used the IPv4 address (so hidden).

However, multiple sites reported local addresses by obtaining the IPv6 address. By unchecking the ISP's IPv6 connection, these sites now show KSC's IP thereby hiding the local address.

For testing, here are a couple of the sites that use the IPv6 address to identify a computer:

- WhatIsMyIPAddress.com

- WhatIsMyIP.com

Edited by Abery

Many IP checking sites used the IPv4 address (so hidden).

However, multiple sites reported local addresses by obtaining the IPv6 address. By unchecking the ISP's IPv6 connection, these sites now show KSC's IP thereby hiding the local address.

I need IPv6 enabled. Seems Kaspersky is not protecting me like advertised. Disabling IPv6 is not a solution.

Posted (edited)

Dear Charliewhatshisname,

Thanks for detailed answer. At this moment we're working on fix regarding IPv6 leak issue and will update this thread when we'll get any news.

Any news on an update about this, looking to buy full KSC but not until the IPv6 leak is fixed, if not soon, will have to look elsewhere?

Edited by Richchad

Hello all,

I am also waiting to hear about this before I subscribe.

Hdee

Posted (edited)

I don't want to reply everything Charliewhatshisname has expressed but I'm sorry to say I completely agree with all his sentiments.

The connection to the network seems fine and fast but your anti-leaking features are abysmal; I can't believe such a prestigious solution as Kaspersky didn't even contemplate these errors and bugs before hand.

The connection safely shows Areti Internet Ltd. for any other UK user as well but it show Belgium servers which I imagine are for DNS but in the following sites it describes a bit more information than it should, I won't obviously reveal exactly the details but an indication

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

ip details leaked on displaying 0a00:a00a0:0000:0a00:00aa:0a0a:00aa

https://ipleak.net/

It's literally been over 7 months since you guys have contemplated fixing these issues and will likely go over. Fact of the matter is any other VPN providers would take a verbal battering, I just can believe how you can accept this and have managed to allow this to go on for so long.

I'd like to make two final points before closing.

When you purchased the API or whatever from Hotspot Shield, why on earth didn't they include its protection features as well?

When Kaspersky made the decision to include a modern VPN solution in its package, why didn't you get an experienced and active user of modern VPN solutions? If you did, he or she would be just as disappointed as the users of Kaspersky Secure Connection are.

Edited by BraveNumpty

Posted (edited)

I need IPv6 enabled. Seems Kaspersky is not protecting me like advertised. Disabling IPv6 is not a solution.

Hi Chris, I hope anyone doesn't think this a damaging comment of Kaspersky because it isn't; I know a thing or two about modern VPN Services and regarding your issue, to be quite honest you'll need to look into a VPN service that has been round for sometime.

VPN services in general that haven't been in business for long don't usually bother getting into the technicalities around IPv6 and more often than non just deploy a simple blocking feature either behind the scene or as a setting.

It would be interesting to know why you require it.

Perhaps you can educate us, do you reckon most VPN's don't support IPv6 because they're waiting for all the IP's to run out from IPv4 or waiting for a huge influx and use of IPv6 or another reason?

Nevertheless, I hope you figured out your problem. I'd advise as to which VPN service to switch to but I can't think off the top of my head which one was the one that supported IPv6. I know it's rather pathetic but it's proprietary client and website was blue I think.

Best Regards

Edited by BraveNumpty