i9cripple

KIS 2017 - Custom Application Control settings being deleted

My custom Application Control settings keep getting deleted, usually after a reboot. I spent ALL day organizing everything and the settings just wont stick. After a couple of times manually inputting the settings, I saw this post and decided to try importing my KIS 2016 backup settings, and it's still deleting them. The old backup did seem to work for a minute though, so give it a try and let us know if you have better luck.

I think it may be an issue with Windows 10. I saw this http://support.kaspersky.com/12848

This is listed as a problem: "Application Control (limitations in Edge web browser protection; limitations in categorizing Metro applications; limitations in applying customer settings toward certain applications)."

Anyone else have the same problem?

My custom Application Control settings keep getting deleted, usually after a reboot. I spent ALL day organizing everything and the settings just wont stick. After a couple of times manually inputting the settings, I saw this post and decided to try importing my KIS 2016 backup settings, and it's still deleting them. The old backup did seem to work for a minute though, so give it a try and let us know if you have better luck.

That is a different topic. I was asking if I can import settings from KIS 2016 to KIS 2017. I don't have problems with settings being deleted. You might want to start a new topic if you want anyone to reply to your question.

That is a different topic. I was asking if I can import settings from KIS 2016 to KIS 2017. I don't have problems with settings being deleted. You might want to start a new topic if you want anyone to reply to your question.

As I said, I did successfully import the settings from KIS 2016 to KIS 2017. The Application Control settings were definitely carried over, but some of them started to be deleted after a few minutes. I had no problems with importing the settings from versions KIS 2015 to KIS 2016 last year, but I do this time around. I replied to this thread because I wanted to let you know it does work, but you may have problems after upgrading to KIS 2017.

As I said, I did successfully import the settings from KIS 2016 to KIS 2017. The Application Control settings were definitely carried over, but some of them started to be deleted after a few minutes. I had no problems with importing the settings from versions KIS 2015 to KIS 2016 last year, but I do this time around. I replied to this thread because I wanted to let you know it does work, but you may have problems after upgrading to KIS 2017.

I'm sorry...I misunderstood. It was not clear from your post that you had imported to KIS 2017 and I thought you were talking about importing from/to 2016. It looks like KIS 2017 is very limited with windows 10 so that might be the problem. I'm using windows 7 but nevertheless I will postpone installing 2017. I do not want to have to reconfigure everything right now and 2017 is still very new and likely to have bugs. I just don't have time for troubleshooting, etc., this year.

Sorry for the vague/fuzzy wording on my first reply. I'm pretty exhausted from trying to get these custom settings to stick for two days now, haha. I guess I'm going to have to start my own topic after all. If I can't get it sorted out soon, I'll have to revert to KIS 2016 for a while.

Many of my installed apps and custom folders/settings are being deleted after rebooting my PC or disabling/re-enabling Kaspersky. Is this a result of the limitations listed here under the "Application Control" section? http://support.kaspersky.com/12848

"Application Control (limitations in Edge web browser protection; limitations in categorizing Metro applications; limitations in applying customer settings toward certain applications)"

I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64 v1511 (Build 10586.494)

Sorry for the vague/fuzzy wording on my first reply. I'm pretty exhausted from trying to get these custom settings to stick for two days now, haha. I guess I'm going to have to start my own topic after all. If I can't get it sorted out soon, I'll have to revert to KIS 2016 for a while.

No problem. I misunderstood your original reply because I jumped to the conclusion that you were only using 2016 and I did not think about it more carefully. It is very frustrating and exhausting to set custom application rules manually. Even though I like KIS and I have been using it for years, I think the interface for editing the firewall application rules is very awkward and makes the task time consuming. If I have time, I will try installing 2017 and importing the 2016 settings but right now I am too busy with work, kids, and recovering from surgery so I will postpone upgrading.

Many of my installed apps and custom folders/settings are being deleted after rebooting my PC or disabling/re-enabling Kaspersky. Is this a result of the limitations listed here under the "Application Control" section? http://support.kaspersky.com/12848

"Application Control (limitations in Edge web browser protection; limitations in categorizing Metro applications; limitations in applying customer settings toward certain applications)"

I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64 v1511 (Build 10586.494)

You wrote that "many" of your settings are being deleted. Do you mean that some of them are not deleted? If that's the case, did you notice a pattern of the kinds of applications that have their settings deleted vs. those that do not? The list of limitations mentions "certain applications" and I suspect it refers to Metro applications. If that's the case, it's probably a problem with KIS 2017 and Windows 10. I'm using KIS 2016 on Windows 7 right now so I cannot compare your experience with mine. If I were you, I would probably continue using KIS 2016 until KIS 2017 has better compatibility with Windows 10. Or, you might want to try a fresh install of KIS 2017 and test whether settings are still deleted (you could just create one custom setting for that test...one of those that are being deleted now).

It's definitely not just Metro apps. It's almost everything. I did notice 3rd party Metro apps (Weather Channel, Netflix) were affected. Kaspersky auto places them in an app control folder with a string of numbers for a title, so I put them in a folder with a proper name, but they usually revert to the original. I assume that's what the support article means by "limitations in categorizing Metro applications".

Non-Metro programs get deleted/reorganized as well. I have Kaspersky set to manually place unknown apps into the Trusted category, and disabled the loading of rules by KSN. The only apps that seem to stay consistent are things that are running all the time, like system apps installed with the motherboard and Nvidia stuff. Some stuff will stick for a while, but not always. EVGA PrecisionX is immediately placed back into the Trusted category without a subfolder. Even something as common as CCleaner is inconsistent.

I did clean reinstall KIS 2017 a couple of times. I even ran the Kaspersky removal tool & GetSystemInfo to see if anything was out of the ordinary, but nothing. I tried for a couple days to track down a pattern, but I gave up & went back to KIS 2016. I really like some of the new features in KIS 2017, but until I can see evidence that the Application Control is more stable, I'm gonna have to wait.

On a side note, earlier versions of KIS used to have an option to prevent the deletion of application rules if unused for 60 days. I wish they would bring that option back.

I know I said I would stick with KIS 2016 for now but...last night I got really curious and installed 2017. At first, I tried to import the 2016 settings. Most of them (not all) were imported and seemed fine. However, some things got messed up. The firewall rules for avp.exe were missing (all of them) and the "add" button was not working so I could not add any rules for it. I was constantly getting pop ups and I could not add a rule through the pop ups either. I'm not sure if it was the importing of 2016 rules that messed up things or if it was an installation problem because I imported the 2016 rules right away. So...I unistalled 2017 without preserving the settings and reinstalled it to try it again. Then, something odd happened. Even though I had not preserved the settings when I uninstalled it and I did not try again to import the 2016 settings, most of those settings were there! I do not understand how/why. These are custom firewall settings that the program could not have possibly set on it's own. For example, I have 4-5 custom rules for an email program that only allow connections to some non-standard ports at the specific IP of the email server. Those rules were there! The only thing I can think of is that the program was not completely unistalled and the settings had been saved at some other location (registry?) besides the program folder. At any rate....this time the avp.exe rules were there and I did not have problems. I spent about 3 hours going over the custom settings and adding a few that were missing. I exported the settings, just in case, and I tried rebooting a couple of times. Since then, everything seems to function normally.

So, I'm inclined to say that KIS 2017 has some bugs and I was lucky (so far). Probably, your experience was worse because of Windows 10 and Metro apps.

Also, I agree with you about the old KIS option in the settings. After KIS 2015, a lot of useful options were eliminated. I miss several of them.

Well...I celebrated prematurely! Right after I replied to your message, I decided to reboot one more time and check the settings. Sure enough, some of them were deleted. It only affected the firewall rules for 2 applications and some custom protected resources under "user files." Obviously, there are some bugs with saving setting. I'm debating whether to go back to 2016 or run a batch file at every bootup and import the settings (as a temporary workaround). Either way, there is a problem with the 2017 management of settings.

Good to know it's not just me. Sucks to hear it's happening in Win 7, because I was about to upgrade my old PC.

I don't think your problem is due to importing the 2016 settings though. The first time I installed KIS 2017, I just uninstalled KIS 2016 normally without saving any settings, not even license info. I then rebooted and looked for any remnants and cleaned the registry with CCleaner, so there really shouldn't have been anything left over unless it was some obscure registry entry. I didn't try to import KIS 2016's settings at first, because I knew there were a lot of new features in KIS 2017 and I didn't want to risk something getting mucked up. It wasn't until after the settings were disappearing that I tried importing 2016's settings. Then when that failed, I uninstalled 2017, ran the Kaspersky removal tool just in case, and the settings were still screwy after re-installation, so I definitely give up for now. If you decide to keep trying, let us know if anything changes.

I agree...the problem is not because of the importing of the old settings. It's definitely a problem with the way KIS 2017 manage settings. After my previous message, I reinstalled and tried one more time. Same thing....the settings get messed up after a reboot. The problem is intermittent so it might not be obvious to everyone right away. Sometimes it only affects 2-3 programs and other times a much larger number. I'm going back to KIS 2016. The new version is definitely not dependable yet.

Edited by manuel3

The new version is definitely not dependable yet.

I am having the very same thing. After a reboot (but not _every_ reboot) KIS2017 is losing settings.

Especially the Application Control settings and the Firewall settings are affected.

Kind request to repair this as soon as possible, the program is not reliable in this way.

And if there is somethings that _has_ to be reliable, it is a antivir/firewall program.

This problem is not limited to Windows 10. We use Windows 7 on all of our computers. With mine, I did not realize that KIS 2017 was not retaining custom settings until after several reboots. As renehoss wrote, it does not happen with every reboot. So, some people might not even realize that there is a problem right away (depending on which settings they lose). I tested KIS 2017 repeatedly yesterday (and reinstalled the program 2-3 times) and it is simply not dependable because the settings get deleted. I went back to the 2016 version because I need a security program I can depend on.

Hi !

I am using KIS 17.0.0.611 and I am also loosing some rules in Application Control after a reboot...

It is a clean installation in a Windows 7 64 bits

If I change an application to a trusted group .... it is removed from that group and changed to low restricted group after a reboot.

It only happens when an application has a missing/error verifying signature status in certificate status or an empty digital signature vendor

post-603408-1470103705_thumb.jpg

post-603408-1470103734_thumb.jpg

Edited by romanek

Hi,

It seems that even if I move an application to trusted group .... after some time .... KIS recalculates the rating of that application and change the group.

post-603408-1470145378_thumb.jpg

post-603408-1470145388_thumb.jpg

Hi,

It seems that even if I move an application to trusted group .... after some time .... KIS recalculates the rating of that application and change the group.

I opened a ticket for that .... waiting for the support reply ....

I opened a ticket for that .... waiting for the support reply ....

Ticket INC000006516066

Ticket INC000006516066

I noticed something kind of similar with KIS 2017 and win 10 64 bit relating to settings disappearing on boot that I thought I should mention in case anyone else is having the same problem relating to manage resources.

Under settings \ protection \ application control \ manage resources \ personal data\ user files I had added under KIS 2016 several file or folder items like I:\*.* E:\*.* F:\*.* S:\*.* etc ( I have a number of hard drives and mapped drive letters ) and they always stayed. In KIS 2017 the I:\*.* would remain ( I do have some redirected mydocument folders on I drive) but the others would be lost on reboot. I was able to do a work around by creating a new category under personal data ( not under user files ) called MyName Data. Then under this I was able to add the file or folder names mentioned above and they remain after boot. So somehow a new category worked but an existing category changes would not stick after boot.

As far as my custom settings for apps like setting exclusions for do not scan before opening etc that I applied to other security programs like Malwarebytes they do remain for me after boot.

You have NOT enabled Trusted Application Mode have you??? If so turn it off as it may be undoing your custom stuff. I tried that mode once and it did lots of strange things. I will never use that mode ever again.......

Edited by stevens@hutchtel.net

I had the same exact experience with the managing resources settings (drives D through L). All of them were deleted except one (in my case, that was drive F but I don't have redirected folders there). I did not try to create a new category because I was not sure if categories were hardcoded and handled differently by the program. Since that time (Sunday), I went back to KIS 2016 so I cannot try any more workarounds. Overall, I had the following problems (Windows 7, 64):

1. Settings for managing resources were deleted, as described above, after reboot.

2. Custom firewall rules deleted after reboot.

3. Several apps that I had designed as "trusted" were moved to the "low restricted" group after reboot.

These problems did not happen after every reboot. I'd say they happened after half of the reboots. I did not have the patience to examine the problem in more depth (e.g., whether this affected apps that are not signed, etc.). Basically, I lost confidence in KIS 2017 and reinstalled the 2016 version. I'll wait to hear that the problem has been corrected before I try KIS 2017 again.

Finally, someone should edit the title of this topic (Possible Windows 10 limitation) because this problem happens with other versions of Windows too.

Edited by manuel3

It happens also if the signature status is OK and with certificate OK.

Take a look in a trusted application SKYPE ....

I didn't update SKYPE, even so KIS recalculates the rating

I will disable "Load rules for applications from Kasperky Security Network (KSN)" and

"Trust digitally signed applications".

Lets see what will happen

post-603408-1470242932_thumb.jpg

Did you follow up with KL tech support on this issue? KSN cloud protection indeed re-calculates threat level of apps and moves them around. This is by design.

Edited by Whizard

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.