Sign in to follow this  
johnneal0

Plex broken. Support INC000006087540

Please help... tried calling in, but the tech I got is clueless. I spent 20 minutes just trying to get her to document the problem correctly, and the email they sent restating the issue is way off. Support INC000006087540

I've been using Plex Media Server for a long time. Works great. After installing Kaspersky AV 2016 (v16.0.0.614) everything still worked fine. I don't care to have the extra overhead of all the processes, so I disable IM, Mail, and Web protections in the settings. After disabling those, Plex no longer works. Reenabling IM, Mail, and Web protections does NOT allow plex to work again. The only way I've found to fix it, once it's in that state is to completely uninstall Kaspersky AV. Adding Plex as a trusted app or excluding it's program folder doesn't work. Validated Plex's port are still open and functional on the local machine, but they are not reachable from anywhere else on my local network. Windows firewall settings appear the same as before with the correct ports allowed. The kaspersky logs do not show any helpful information, even after enabling "Log non-critical events".

Welcome. Please see: https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=344430 and then please download and install KIS 16.01.445. Please uninstall 16.0.0.614 > reboot, after downloading 16.01.445 and before installing 16.01.445.

After you install KIS 16.01.445, activate with your current activation code > do a databases update > reboot.

Any better with the current version?

Gave this a try and it seems to have worked. During the process it did say that I would be "upgraded" from Internet Security to Anti-Virus 2016 with my existing license (though wouldn't that be a down grade?). Anyway, seems to have worked. All I want is a file based virus scan anyway. I don't need hooks into every component/app I use.

Thanks for the help.

In addition to what Richbuff said,

The rep handling your case did asked you to reinstall the kaspersky based on your current license.

Yes the migration process (activation using a different product key) would say upgrading, whichever version it switches to.

Reasoning behind that is, we wouldn't like our customers the feeling of awkwardness while they do it with the reps on the phone.

Also, it would also be in a form of an upgrade, in a sense that it wasn't activated before... and now you are activating it to make it work...

from a limited mode to a working mode ;)

Also, it seems that you stated that you have KAV and not KIS, so the "upgrade" would seem to be correct according to the product that your license is for. :)

It's a tangent issue really. KIS was what was provided via the download link directly from amazon that was labeled "Anti-virus 2016". If it was the wrong product for my license, then the activation should have failed. Confusing the issue by insinuating that I somehow caused the issue by downloading the wrong product is unappreciated. Also, IS, supposedly being the more fully featured, more expensive product shouldn't be excused of the flaw. It was a problem with the product. Simply saying, opps we found a bug and we fixed it, is much better than saying, you the customer should have known better than to have used X license with Y product.

To D-Auto-Resolved-D's point, the process you are describing means that you are knowingly misleading customers and justifying it with semantics. I too work in IT and know with limitations of off-shore support, so I understand why the front line support would fail pretty hard to address an issue this specific. That's ok. That's what higher tier support is for. What's not ok is taking advantage of those who wouldn't know any better.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I'm glad it ended up being a fairly easy fix despite the rough start with support.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.