d1.watkins@yahoo.com

Kaspersky Cleaner & Software Updater Beta Free Security Tools

My OS : Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2, 32 bit

Browser : Mozilla Firefox 44.0.2

I originally sent this query thro' My Kaspersky support, but their reply was that they were unable to help as I was querying Beta versions, & they suggested that I post on this forum, so here goes !

I thought I"d give the free security tools a try on Saturday 20/2, so downloaded & installed Kaspersky Cleaner also Kaspersky Software Updater Beta. I ran both programs & since then my pc will not shut down completely without my using the power switch button to complete : If I don"t use the button the pc gets stuck at the Windows "Shutting down" screen . Please do not suggest that I perform a system restore as this function is not working on my pc & has not been for a few months now. I have tried uninstalling the 2 tools i installed on 20/2 but this has has no effect on my closing issue (obviously the damage has already been done!!) Have also performed several disc checks & also run msconfig. Please can anyone help & advise in laymans terms, as I'm not much of a tech head!! Many thanks in advance.

System Restore error, from your event viewer: "Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{0f9beec9-6f41-11e4-9eb3-0023ae29e9b0}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again."

Also, please revert Clear Swap File at shutdown. Please do the opposite of what is instructed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314834 Please scroll down halfway to Let Me Fix It Myself

Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to a value of 0.

Restart when done. Any better after that?

Great ! The shut down solution has worked a treat, & my pc just shutdown as it should without me using the power button - thank you.

Re the System Restore error : please could you explain how I "Check security on the volume" (idiots guide please !!)

thanks again

You're welcome. You are using the Pro version of Windows. It looks like someone has messed with the Permissions Policies. Best bet is to search the web for info about that. :)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.