andersharrison

Upgraded to KIS 2016 on Win 10 = BSOD - System Thread Exception Not Handled

Today I had a pop-up message offering me to upgrade to KIS 2016, from KIS 2015. That installed and said Windows needed to restart, which I did.

Now Windows 10 won't boot at all. The error is the new style Blue Screen of Death and the error is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. There's no sys file specified. I get the same error when booting into safe mode.

I'd had no problems with 2015 on Win 10, and that was all up to date according to KIS.

I can get the command prompt from the Win 10 troubleshoot -> Advanced Options menu, but that is about it. I tried running the kavremover.exe, but it just reports "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present.". Looks like this is meant to be run from a GUI rather than command prompt.

Is there anyway to remove KIS 2016 using the command line?

post-584685-1451587560_thumb.jpg

Also,

I just had exactly the same problem on Windows 10 Home Version, after selecting the Kaspersky Upgrade. After trying an array of alternative options that didn't help, I finally had to restore Windows 10 to a previous point.It took about 30 minutes, but finally booted up again. My system seems to be operating normally, and data files look to be intact. I get the same message to perform the upgrade, so apparently the Internet Suite must be back to the previous version. I won't try it again until there is a resolution to this problem.

I really hope this is a true Kaspersky problem, not a fake upgrade message intended to create chaos.

Any updates on this issue? I have a support ticket in for this same issue that has been escalated twice and I haven't heard back since last night.

At one point they were trying to charge me for a premium support incident or something like that.

I don't have any system restore points to revert to. I'm hoping not to have to do a windows 10 reset.

FWIW, I decided to try the update from the 2015 version to 2016 again yesterday. This time, I started the upgrade from within the Internet Security 2015 application, rather than using the pop-up pathway. It installed properly, with no system BSOD issues, or any other problems.

FWIW, I decided to try the update from the 2015 version to 2016 again yesterday. This time, I started the upgrade from within the Internet Security 2015 application, rather than using the pop-up pathway. It installed properly, with no system BSOD issues, or any other problems.

I performed the upgrade this evening and ended up in a reboot loop as well... I'm now off to try your method. I'll update here if it does/does not.

Thanks. :)

* - edit - It worked! Hurray!

Also, for those struggling, I fixed my initial issue by choosing -> Troubleshoot / Advanced Options / Startup Repair

Edited by kilgoretrout

I logged a call as directed, waiting for a response (it's the weekend). The automatic repair option didn't work for me and I have no system restore points :(

Same issue here. Same Startup Repair got me going again. Took me reinstalling at a previous Restore Point. Not sure what the issues are, but this is the first time I've ever had Windows 10 have this problem regardless of what's being installed. Very reluctant to try the install again until Kapersky resolves this issue.

I just experienced the same issue; Windows 10 Home Edition. BSOD - System Thread Exception not handled. Multiple reboots would result in the same BSOD. After having a near heart attack, the system restore feature to an early state fixed it. This is bad. Will wait this out and ignore upgrade windows for now

Also,

I just had exactly the same problem on Windows 10 Home Version, after selecting the Kaspersky Upgrade. After trying an array of alternative options that didn't help, I finally had to restore Windows 10 to a previous point.It took about 30 minutes, but finally booted up again. My system seems to be operating normally, and data files look to be intact. I get the same message to perform the upgrade, so apparently the Internet Suite must be back to the previous version. I won't try it again until there is a resolution to this problem.

I really hope this is a true Kaspersky problem, not a fake upgrade message intended to create chaos.

Uhmm hey, this is good. Can you post a report of your Getsysteminfo here? Thanks :)

It's in the 5th important topic. ( a GSI before upgrading ok? )

Uhmm you can just uninstall your old version and install the new version of Kaspersky 2016. That would work instead of clicking the Total Force Update :)

But please, post a report of the old system (the one with the 2015 version)

I performed the upgrade this evening and ended up in a reboot loop as well... I'm now off to try your method. I'll update here if it does/does not.

Thanks. :)

* - edit - It worked! Hurray!

Also, for those struggling, I fixed my initial issue by choosing -> Troubleshoot / Advanced Options / Startup Repair

Can you elaborate on what options you used in Startup Repair? I have the same problem and have been unable to fix.

I have the same issue. Happened yesterday. Have not been able to resolve!

Hello everyone,

It seems to be a known problem in Total Force Upgrade (upgrade using the popup in product). Either try to install KIS 2016 manually (download and install from here) or do following beforehand:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

2. Rename cm_km_w.sys driver to cm_km_w.bak

We are deeply sorry for inconvenience caused. This problem will be fixed with one of the following patches.

After this problem I am Unable to recover windows 10 so had to perform a reinstall of windows 10

Windows 10 has successfully reregistered its key

I am now left with reinstalling all my applications......

Warning Win 10 does not automatically turn on restore points, that burned me, its now turned on,

And as this was only as testing system (for windows 10 and old applications) I had neglected to save a system backup image.

So ... I was unable to uninstall Kaspersky, I have lost a serial number from my pack of 5,( I had uninstalled a copy from another system being upgraded ).

How do I get it back ?????

Chris

Oh and by the way SORRY doesn't cut it.

Today I had a pop-up message offering me to upgrade to KIS 2016, from KIS 2015. That installed and said Windows needed to restart, which I did.

Now Windows 10 won't boot at all. The error is the new style Blue Screen of Death and the error is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. There's no sys file specified. I get the same error when booting into safe mode.

I'd had no problems with 2015 on Win 10, and that was all up to date according to KIS.

I can get the command prompt from the Win 10 troubleshoot -> Advanced Options menu, but that is about it. I tried running the kavremover.exe, but it just reports "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present.". Looks like this is meant to be run from a GUI rather than command prompt.

Is there anyway to remove KIS 2016 using the command line?

Here are the steps that worked for me:

1. Need to get to the advanced boot options which may be easy with the installation boot media or if you get the message:

"It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click Yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No." then click No but don't worry that it is going to do a clean installation right there, follow the prompts about language and on the next screen choose "repair my computer". Then choose Troubleshoot, then advanced options, then command prompt.

2. From a command prompt you can try to rename the driver files as mentioned in forum but it didn't work for me. Instead I navigated to C: (or D:) \program files (x86)\ and deleted the Kaspersky directory. del Kaspersky [enter], it will prompt if you are sure.

3. Computer booted fine after that and I downloaded the kavremover tool so that it would be completely and cleanly removed: http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464

4. Then, depending upon how aggravated you are with Kaspersky at this point :b_lol1: , download and reinstall the correct version.

Hello everyone,

It seems to be a known problem in Total Force Upgrade (upgrade using the popup in product). Either try to install KIS 2016 manually (download and install from here) or do following beforehand:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

2. Rename cm_km_w.sys driver to cm_km_w.bak

We are deeply sorry for inconvenience caused. This problem will be fixed with one of the following patches.

I had exactly the same problem when upgrading from KTS2016 to KTS2017. Renaming cm_km_w.sys was the only way to get the computer to boot without BSOD. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1607 (Anniversary update).

uXey1v4.jpg

Edited by paul4ak

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.