Trojan.Win32.Generic, Toshiba External Hard Drive software.

I've bought a Toshiba External Hard Drive and every time I try to install the software downloaded from the Toshiba site I get told Trojan.Win32.Generic has been detected and tells me to disinfect the computer then and under details I get told this is suspicious behavior identifiable application as malicious My guess is this is a false identification but how can I be sure and what do I do if it is? Any help very much appreciated.

Welcome. If you are downloading the software from the official source, it is probably a false positive. The detection is Generic, because the behavior is suspicious, not because of a specific detection. Configure Kaspersky in Interactive mode by unchecking Automatic, located in Kaspersky > Settings. Then download the installer for Toshiba External Hard Drive. Then disconnect from the internet and disable File Anti-Virus. Then click Quarantine on the main Kaspersky window. Find Quarantine by clicking More Tools at the bottom of the main Kaspersky window, then mid-left. Then locate the entries for your Toshiba External Hard Drive in Quarantine and/or Storage tabs and select Restore. After that, please Add to Exclusions. Re-enable File Anti Virus and re-connect to the internet. How to add to exclusions: http://support.kaspersky.com/us/10017 If this is a false positive, please send full details to Tech Support:

• 11 months later...