thewild

vapm running even though though application control is disabled [In progress]

Hi all

I witnessed slowdowns on my own workstation today (it happened before but I could not find where it came from).

It appears to be vapm.exe taking a very high amount of CPU and HDD time.

In our strategy, Application Control is totally disabled :

8b8zmDP.png

We have no task running it either, we only have one virus scan task and one update task.

Could you please explain how to solve this ? CPU impact is not acceptable, we really need to disable this.

Thanks !

Hi all

I witnessed slowdowns on my own workstation today (it happened before but I could not find where it came from).

It appears to be vapm.exe taking a very high amount of CPU and HDD time.

In our strategy, Application Control is totally disabled :

8b8zmDP.png

We have no task running it either, we only have one virus scan task and one update task.

Could you please explain how to solve this ? CPU impact is not acceptable, we really need to disable this.

Thanks !

Hello.

Please clarify if this CPU load occurs immediately after starting KES, or some time afterwards. Do certain events trigger it?

Does it only occur when certain KES components are active, or when every component is inactive as well?

What version of KES are you using?

Thank you.

Hello.

Please clarify if this CPU load occurs immediately after starting KES, or some time afterwards. Do certain events trigger it?

Does it only occur when certain KES components are active, or when every component is inactive as well?

What version of KES are you using?

Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

It happens some time afterward. I cannot tell you what did trigger this exactly, but nothing unusual in any case.

The only active components are File Antivirus and Internet Antivirus, on all our workstations.

Some other components are installed but disabled (we never enabled them, we just installed them in case we changed our mind).

Another user just reported another issue. He had a system warning about low memory (very strange for a workstation with 8GB ram). I checked his processes and he had a vapm.exe process eating 3GB of ram.

No task was running in KES (as I already mentionned, we only have a weekly virus scan on mondays and an update task every 4 hours). I checked his configuration and the strategy was correctly applied : everything disabled but File Antivirus and Internet Antivirus.

We are using KES 10 MR1.

PS : nothing unusual in system event log either.

Edit : I just rebooted the other user workstation, vpam.exe is still running. Not taking a huge amount of ram at the moment, but it should not be there at all IMHO.

Edited by Codata

Hi, thanks for your answer.

It happens some time afterward. I cannot tell you what did trigger this exactly, but nothing unusual in any case.

The only active components are File Antivirus and Internet Antivirus, on all our workstations.

Some other components are installed but disabled (we never enabled them, we just installed them in case we changed our mind).

Another user just reported another issue. He had a system warning about low memory (very strange for a workstation with 8GB ram). I checked his processes and he had a vapm.exe process eating 3GB of ram.

No task was running in KES (as I already mentionned, we only have a weekly virus scan on mondays and an update task every 4 hours). I checked his configuration and the strategy was correctly applied : everything disabled but File Antivirus and Internet Antivirus.

We are using KES 10 MR1.

PS : nothing unusual in system event log either.

Edit : I just rebooted the other user workstation, vpam.exe is still running. Not taking a huge amount of ram at the moment, but it should not be there at all IMHO.

First off, please check this article: http://support.kaspersky.com/9760.

If this does not describe your case, please let uw know what version of KSC you are using? Are Network Agents the same version? Is it possible to upgrade KSC and Agents to the latest version (10.2.434 patch d)?

Thank you.

First off, please check this article: http://support.kaspersky.com/9760.

If this does not describe your case, please let uw know what version of KSC you are using? Are Network Agents the same version? Is it possible to upgrade KSC and Agents to the latest version (10.2.434 patch d)?

Thank you.

No, it does not describe our case. There is no task running, and the problematic process is vapm, not klnagent.

Network Agents (and KSC) are version 10.1.249 on all workstations, and KES is 10.2.1.23.

I will think about upgrading the agents, but a quick fix would be nice. We've been running with this configuration for quite some time and never had this problem.

No, it does not describe our case. There is no task running, and the problematic process is vapm, not klnagent.

Network Agents (and KSC) are version 10.1.249 on all workstations, and KES is 10.2.1.23.

I will think about upgrading the agents, but a quick fix would be nice. We've been running with this configuration for quite some time and never had this problem.

VAPM stands for Vulnerability Assessment and Patch Management, which is Network Agent functionality and therefore not displayed locally in KES. However, if it is enabled, you can find it in KSC as a group task for Network Agent. This is why the article was suggested.

Please let us know if you are able to resolve this with an upgrade or if you find such a task in KSC.

Thank you.

VAPM stands for Vulnerability Assessment and Patch Management, which is Network Agent functionality and therefore not displayed locally in KES. However, if it is enabled, you can find it in KSC as a group task for Network Agent. This is why the article was suggested.

Please let us know if you are able to resolve this with an upgrade or if you find such a task in KSC.

Thank you.

OK. No such task in KSC.

I will upgrade this specific workstation first and see if it helps.

OK. No such task in KSC.

I will upgrade this specific workstation first and see if it helps.

Do you mean that the task is disabled, or that it doesn't exist at all?

Such tasks as "Find vulnerabilities and required updates" and "Find vulnerabilities and required updates" may have been generated automatically during the KSC Getting Started wizard.

Moreover, you can try modifying (or creating) a polcy for Network Agents in the group, disabling Windows update search in "Software updates and vulnerabilities" tab if you do not require such functionality.

Thank you.

Do you mean that the task is disabled, or that it doesn't exist at all?

Such tasks as "Find vulnerabilities and required updates" and "Find vulnerabilities and required updates" may have been generated automatically during the KSC Getting Started wizard.

Moreover, you can try modifying (or creating) a polcy for Network Agents in the group, disabling Windows update search in "Software updates and vulnerabilities" tab if you do not require such functionality.

Thank you.

I mean it doesn't exist at all, as far as I can tell.

Under "managed computers -> tasks", we have one KES update task, and one KES scan taks.

Under "administration server tasks", we have one KSC update task and one KSC backup task.

Under "tasks for all computers" (translated from French, I don't know the exact name), we have one installation task for KES (manual).

That's it, I don't see anything related to Network Agent.

I confirm that we have no policy defined for the network agent.

I have never wondered about network agent policies, I'll look into this. Creating a policy without changing any option should leave the current functionalities untouched, right ? Or workstations' Windows Update settings are currently defined via a group policy, we want this to stay untouched for the moment.

Edited by Codata

I mean it doesn't exist at all, as far as I can tell.

Under "managed computers -> tasks", we have one KES update task, and one KES scan taks.

Under "administration server tasks", we have one KSC update task and one KSC backup task.

Under "tasks for all computers" (translated from French, I don't know the exact name), we have one installation task for KES (manual).

That's it, I don't see anything related to Network Agent.

I confirm that we have no policy defined for the network agent.

I have never wondered about network agent policies, I'll look into this. Creating a policy without changing any option should leave the current functionalities untouched, right ? Or workstations' Windows Update settings are currently defined via a group policy, we want this to stay untouched for the moment.

Default settings of Network Agent running under policy match those of a Network Agent without a specified policy. Changes to the policy only affect Network Agents' behavior and do not affect Windows Update Agent etc.

Thank you.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.