jameswesthead

KIS 2016 Runs as 32 bit on 64 bit Windows 10

I have just installed Windows 10. I have checked and it is up to date with no outstanding updates. I disabled Windows firewall and windows defender. I have a KIS 2015 installation CD which I previously used in Vista(32 bit). I installed KIS 2015 from it and then downloaded kis16.0.0.614en-gb from this support website. I uninstalled KIS 2015 (completely, leaving no activation code) and restarted Windows 10. Then I ran kis16.0.0.614en-gb to install KIS using the activation code on the KIS 2015 box (281 days licence remaining). KIS installed easily but when I checked in Task Manager, KIS is shown as the 32 bit version (see screen grab attached). Please will you help me install the 64 bit version.

post-118170-1447604339_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Kaspersky Lab does not release products restricted to 64-bit operating systems.

Hello,

The memory consumption of 64-bit program code is almost twice as much as 32-bit programs. It would significantly increase the burden on computer system resources if antivirus vendors released pure-64 bit protection software. ( Please consider that many people and institutions, as well as small companies do not have the latest 8-way Core-i5/i7 computers, but use early Core2 CPU or even vintage Celeron / Athlon systems. )

As long as 32-bit virus scanners can detect all existing malware on any Windows version, it would be contra-productive to release 64-bit antivirus software.

Best regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

Been discussed numerous of times on those forums. Please use a search function. The bottom line is you are protected despite what you see in Task Manager as a 32bit process.

Thank you all for the information, and by the way Whizard, I did do a search before posting - obviously I was not diligent enough in reading all the previous posts.

It comes down to this that KIS/KAV are modular and contain both the GUI - 32 bit process and SYSTEM drivers. There is no point in making the GUI a 64 bit process. However, the drivers that do actual SYSTEM level protection had been 64 bit for a while now. The selection which drivers to use happens automatically when you install the software.

Edited by Whizard

My Dell runs at 64bits. I see, however, that my version of KIS 2016 is described as 32bit. This is doubtless due to my own error. Seems to run OK. But will changing it make any difference, and if so how, please?

I would hazard a guess that if you looked you would find a lot of programs at 32 bit. C:\Program Files (x86) are 32 bit programs on my 64 bit Windows 10 box. Or just open task manager to see the 32 bit programs currently running on your system.

Edited by mrtee

So can somebody please confirm. There is no native 64 bit clean and native version of Kaspersky anti virus or security product.

I am in the middle of an evaluation and was surprised to see that my trial installation is 32 bit code ONLY

This is the year of 2016

I don't want to get into the benefits of 64 bit over 32 bit code. Such a pointless discussion could have me talking about the efficiencies of 8 bit machine code, which was shorter and smaller and more efficient.

Is there a 64 bit version or not?

thanks marcus bennett.

Hello,

Welcome on the Forum.

Please see comments above that have been posted in this Topic.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.