george.h

Can't Remote Install to Windows 7 [In progress]

Has anyone came across the following situation:

Windows 7 Pro PC just rebuilt and added to the domain. Public Folder (in domain) sharing is turned ON, Network Discovery (in domain again) ON, File and Print sharing (in domain) turned OFF (stops everyone browsing each others User$ shares).

According to the info I've found remote install should work with just the Public Folder sharing enabled. However I can't get it to work unless File and Print sharing is ALSO turned on. The install fails trying to install the network agent saying the PC is turned off.

Any ideas?

For the moment I've just turned File and Print sharing back on to get KES installed.

Hi,

Could you kindly clarify what version of KSC and KES do you use?

Are you saying that the problem is not in the product but in the DC?

BR

Hi,

Could you kindly clarify what version of KSC and KES do you use?

Are you saying that the problem is not in the product but in the DC?

BR

Hi,

The versions are

KES: 10.2.2.10535 mr1

KSC: 10.2.434

KLNA: 10.2.434

The problem is that using the instructions for configuring Windows 7 clients to allow remote installation of KES via KSC - http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/6075 -only seems to work if File and Print sharing is ALSO enabled. "Public Folder sharing" and "File and Print sharing" are separate options in Windows 7 (both set under the sharing options for Domains).

One quirk of Windows 7 is that having File and Print sharing on, unless you take corrective action, allows others on the domain to browse the Users$ share and potentially browse users documents on other PCs than their own. The simplest way of stopping this is to turn of File and Print sharing, but then you can't remotely install KES.

Now I'm not sure if this is an issue in Windows 7 on domains, or a problem with KSC. If it is SUPPOSED to work with "Public Folder sharing" ON and "File and Print sharing OFF" then clearly something is not right. It could well be a Windows 7 problem that Public Folder sharing just doesn't work unless File and Print sharing is ALSO turned on. If that is the case then the KB article needs to be updated to reflect that. If it is NOT a Windows 7 problem and IS a KSC issue, then it needs fixing.

From the way the install task failed (it took a while copying files before it failed) and the very short time it took after I had turned File and Print sharing on and restarted the task (it went almost immediately to installing KLNA), I wonder if the problem is not copying the files, but starting the installation once the install files are there.

George

;)

Hi,

The versions are

KES: 10.2.2.10535 mr1

KSC: 10.2.434

KLNA: 10.2.434

The problem is that using the instructions for configuring Windows 7 clients to allow remote installation of KES via KSC - http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/6075 -only seems to work if File and Print sharing is ALSO enabled. "Public Folder sharing" and "File and Print sharing" are separate options in Windows 7 (both set under the sharing options for Domains).

One quirk of Windows 7 is that having File and Print sharing on, unless you take corrective action, allows others on the domain to browse the Users$ share and potentially browse users documents on other PCs than their own. The simplest way of stopping this is to turn of File and Print sharing, but then you can't remotely install KES.

Now I'm not sure if this is an issue in Windows 7 on domains, or a problem with KSC. If it is SUPPOSED to work with "Public Folder sharing" ON and "File and Print sharing OFF" then clearly something is not right. It could well be a Windows 7 problem that Public Folder sharing just doesn't work unless File and Print sharing is ALSO turned on. If that is the case then the KB article needs to be updated to reflect that. If it is NOT a Windows 7 problem and IS a KSC issue, then it needs fixing.

From the way the install task failed (it took a while copying files before it failed) and the very short time it took after I had turned File and Print sharing on and restarted the task (it went almost immediately to installing KLNA), I wonder if the problem is not copying the files, but starting the installation once the install files are there.

George

;)

Hi,

Are you trying to install Network Agents along with KES on machines by running KSC group task? Are you modifying DC policies in order to disable File and Print sharing?

Thank You!

Hi,

Are you trying to install Network Agents along with KES on machines by running KSC group task? Are you modifying DC policies in order to disable File and Print sharing?

Thank You!

Hi,

Yes, as a newly rebuilt PC I'm trying to install Network Agent along with KES. File and Print sharing are manually disabled by logging on to the machine using a local account with administrator rights. It is not done using any GPOs.

Regards

George

Hi,

Could you please confirm that host name correctly resolves to IP and backward?

Could you please provide us with installation logs or with task report?

Thank you!

Hi,

Could you please confirm that host name correctly resolves to IP and backward?

Could you please provide us with installation logs or with task report?

Thank you!

Hi Nikolay,

Yes host name of the target PC resolved correctly between name and IP address both ways. As I said, if I turned File and Print sharing back on it worked perfectly. I'll see if I can find the install log from the original failed install.

I am wondering though if this could actually be a Windows 7 firewall related issue? For instance with File and Print sharing turned on, lots of basic thing you would expect to work do, such as PING. However turning File and Print sharing off does a fair amount of firewall reconfiguration, including blocking PINGs. I have to manually create an inbound rule to allow PINGs (ICMPv4) if I wish to have File and Print sharing disabled but still be able to ping machines.

I'm just wondering what ports the remote install for Network Agent depends upon which may, by default, be open with File and Print sharing enabled, but closed with it turned off, even though Public File sharing is still turned on. I do find it puzzling that when I turned File and Print sharing back on and re-ran the install task, it went straight to running Setup for Network Agent. Almost as if with File and Print sharing turned off it had managed to copy the files, but failed to start setup. What do you think? What ports does that require to be open?

Cheers

George

Please read KB7434. This tool makes the work for you.

The ports are also listed.

Thanks Helmut you're a star! Just what I was looking for... I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheers

George

Thanks Helmut you're a star! Just what I was looking for... I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheers

George

Hello,

waiting reply from you.

Thank you.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.