sowiq

Problem running main application window on Windows 8.1

Hi Everybody.

A few days ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 (fresh installation on a new disk). I also installed KIS 15 (15.0.2.361). The problem is that I'm unable to open the main application window. After system restart it shows 4 inactive KIS icons in the tray, but when I try to click on any of them, they disappear. Then, when I try to run KIS again (from Start menu), it shows loading screen, but after a few seconds disappears as well. But it looks like the Kaspersky service is running in the background - I cna see the process in Task Manager.

I tried to install KIS 16, then I uninstalled everything completely and installed KIS 15 again. No success at all.

What should I do? Is there any option to hard reset all settings, or at lease generate/see any debug/error log?

post-537884-1439373101_thumb.png

post-537884-1439373113_thumb.png

In addition to the post of dh27564 the question:

Have you started after the change of W7 on W8.1 the Windows Update manually and install any relevant patches from MS? Available on CD / DVD installation sources are often outdated and not up-to-date. It is recommended to fully update Windows and then install KIS.

Bye.

KM

Here is the URL of the evaluation of the GSI logs at www.getsysteminfo.com -> http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...226507c028534f8

Then do not need any of us to extract the log and there upload for evaluation.

(1) From the GSI log shows that when you install MS patches errors occurred. Please check the update history. Get the failed patches by.

(2) The program 'clipx.exe' is referred to as 'untrustworthy'. Uninstall it temporarily and doing a re-boot.

If KIS now started?

Bye.

KM

Edited by KleinerMuck

@KleinerMuck, thanks for the explanation and sorry for uploading the whole report file.

I uninstalled the clipX and removed its whole directory, restarted the computer, but KIS still doesn't run.

I uninstalled the clipX and removed its whole directory, restarted the computer, but KIS still doesn't run.

Have you checked the update history, rescheduled failed patches and reboot the system? It would have been the more important of the two steps.

Bye.

KM

Edited by KleinerMuck

@dh27564, I followed your steps, but with no result.

@KleinerMuck, the only "failed" items in Update History are "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro", but I've never allowed them to install. The last recent successful ones are from yesterday.

Additional note - yesterday KIS opened once, asked to send crash report and successfully updated. But then, after next restarts, it doesn't start again.

The ClipX items are ok/fine, and unrelated to your unhappy system.

Svchost is crashing repeatedly. Various other sundry and assorted Windows things are crashing.

If this issue is not readily resolvable, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request:

a. Description of the issue.

b. Screenshot, as needed.

c. GSI

Actually I think I give up, as I have many other issues with that Windows 8.1 installation (e.g. blinking and crashing screen on battery power). I'm just going to install Ubuntu and Windows 7 in some virtual machine.

Thank you all for your effort. A really appreciate it!

Edited by sowiq

To anybody who could be interested - it appeared that problem was caused by Nvidia graphic card driver. I uninstalled the one installed automatically by Windows 8 and downloaded the newest version from Nvidia website. It helped not only with Kaspersky, but some other applications which were occasionally crashing.

If in your Windows Event Viewer you can find errors with "Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll", it probably indicates problem with Nvidia drivers.

Edited by richbuff
Thank you for posting the solution. I am glad that this is resolved. This is closed as resolved; please post anew if need be. :)