scott.swan

Creating a Database Update Policy [In progress]

I did a search but was unable to find what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone in here can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to create a policy for my 'managed computers' group to run a virus database update on a weekly or daily schedule (instead of having to look through all the sub-groups to find them). I've tried to create one, but I can find no selections that will do just that - update the kaspersky virus database. The help file is not much help as you can see in image .01 and .011. In image .02, this shows the available choices for a policy, but none say anything about 'virus database update' or any thing similar.

All idea's and suggestions are welcome.

post-549296-1432138805_thumb.jpg

post-549296-1432138831_thumb.jpg

post-549296-1432139086_thumb.jpg

I did a search but was unable to find what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone in here can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to create a policy for my 'managed computers' group to run a virus database update on a weekly or daily schedule (instead of having to look through all the sub-groups to find them). I've tried to create one, but I can find no selections that will do just that - update the kaspersky virus database. The help file is not much help as you can see in image .01 and .011. In image .02, this shows the available choices for a policy, but none say anything about 'virus database update' or any thing similar.

All idea's and suggestions are welcome.

Update is a task.

Update is a task.

Thank you for that effusive response. I know it is a task for specific computers. I want to set up something that till take 'readings' from the report on the pc's that are out of date and run automatically. With out me having to go through 10+ groups, writing down all the names, and editing the settings to list all those pc's that I had to write down the names of.

Can Kaspersky do anything like that??

Thank you for that effusive response. I know it is a task for specific computers. I want to set up something that till take 'readings' from the report on the pc's that are out of date and run automatically. With out me having to go through 10+ groups, writing down all the names, and editing the settings to list all those pc's that I had to write down the names of.

You can go to Reports and notifications\Computer selections\Databases are out of date and it will list all the computers with "Databases are out of date". It is up to you what you consider "out of date". You can set this up in the "Computer status" section of the Managed computers Properties.

Hello.

Please inform us of the result of glabrador`s instructions.

Thanks.

Hello.

Please inform us of the result of glabrador`s instructions.

Thanks.

Not very helpful. Maybe I'm not getting my idea across very clearly.

Everything mentioned so far is set up already. I'm wanting to set up an automatic policy or task that will take all the PC's, Servers, Virtual Servers that are listed in the "databases are out of date" (under 'reports & notifications') and run the "update of application databases" on all of them. Either at a preset time (like midnight) or when I select the run button.

I'm hoping that someone out there has done this and written down how he/she did it and can post them.

Everything mentioned so far is set up already. I'm wanting to set up an automatic policy or task that will take all the PC's, Servers, Virtual Servers that are listed in the "databases are out of date" (under 'reports & notifications') and run the "update of application databases" on all of them. Either at a preset time (like midnight) or when I select the run button.

I'm hoping that someone out there has done this and written down how he/she did it and can post them.

Create an Update task and for Computer selection select "Database out of date" and then set the schedule when you want to run it.

Hello,

do you mean that you're unable to create this task and specify all managed computers for its execution ?

Thank you.

Could you explain us the purpose - to wait obsolete databases and after that to start update ?

Thank you.

Create an Update task and for Computer selection select "Database out of date" and then set the schedule when you want to run it.

Tasks can be created for the entire Managed computers group or only for a select group. You'd have to create this task in "Tasks for specific computers" since you're only associating it to certain devices instead of the entire managed computers group.

Hi Scott

So as some of the other have said, you need to create a task rather than a policy. And the profiles aren't going help you either as they relate to policies.

So as glabrador said if you create a task for specific computers to run an update, you can now (Since SP1) select to run the task on a selection of computers.

This way every time the task runs it queries the selection and updates the list of computers it runs on.

The obvious selection to pick is the databases are outdated one, but you might want to make some adjustments to the selection before you create the task.

Hopefully that helps clear things up a little.

Ok. I’m writing this as I go through the ‘create a task’ process. Trying to follow your suggestion, but come upon a wall at the ‘select task type’. I can select for SP1 (update), MR1 (update), or WSEE (update of app database). Under ‘Admin Server’ there is no selection for databases. I cannot make multiple selections.

Do I need to make a separate task for each version? If I only use one selection (i.e. for SP1 – what happens when the task finds a PC with MR1 still, or a server? Skips? Fails? Doesn’t complete the task?

Moving on – I’m going to use the WSEE selection for now.

Settings screen – Task creation – New

Update source – chose lab update servers

Schedule – Set time

Select target computers – selected the 3rd box which let me select the ‘db out of date’

User acct – set admin acct

Currently have 2 servers and 2 desktops in my DB OOD area so will be testing this on them.

Quick edit Note: Just ran the task I created above and it took care of the servers and ignored the workstations. So I'm guessing I need to create separate tasks for each of these.

Getting better.

Edited by scott.swan

Ok. I’m writing this as I go through the ‘create a task’ process. Trying to follow your suggestion, but come upon a wall at the ‘select task type’. I can select for SP1 (update), MR1 (update), or WSEE (update of app database). Under ‘Admin Server’ there is no selection for databases. I cannot make multiple selections.

Do I need to make a separate task for each version? If I only use one selection (i.e. for SP1 – what happens when the task finds a PC with MR1 still, or a server? Skips? Fails? Doesn’t complete the task?

Moving on – I’m going to use the WSEE selection for now.

Settings screen – Task creation – New

Update source – chose lab update servers

Schedule – Set time

Select target computers – selected the 3rd box which let me select the ‘db out of date’

User acct – set admin acct

Currently have 2 servers and 2 desktops in my DB OOD area so will be testing this on them.

Quick edit Note: Just ran the task I created above and it took care of the servers and ignored the workstations. So I'm guessing I need to create separate tasks for each of these.

Getting better.

Hello.

The task will only affect the product it is created for. In the task type selection window, whatever section you choose from, the task will only apply to a computer if a corresponding product is installed on it. So, you need separate tasks for MR1, SP1, WSEE etc (even though they all show up in the DB out of date selection).

Thank you.

I think Kirill already answered the main question, but also by selecting the Kaspersky lab update servers, you are saying the internet.

The other option would be the administration server, which incidentally is the task you tried selecting under "Admin Server".

The admin server update task should run regularly (Usually once an hour) and other machines on the network can update from it.

Let us know if you need any further help

I think Kirill already answered the main question, but also by selecting the Kaspersky lab update servers, you are saying the internet.

The other option would be the administration server, which incidentally is the task you tried selecting under "Admin Server".

The admin server update task should run regularly (Usually once an hour) and other machines on the network can update from it.

Let us know if you need any further help

My "Tasks" list is growing by leaps and bounds with having to create a separate task for each version. Although I should be able to weed them out as I get the rest updated.

Thanks for all the help on this problem. More problems/questions to follow in other threads, LOL. Did you expect otherwise??

My "Tasks" list is growing by leaps and bounds with having to create a separate task for each version. Although I should be able to weed them out as I get the rest updated.

Thanks for all the help on this problem. More problems/questions to follow in other threads, LOL. Did you expect otherwise??

Hi,

The amount is limited by version numbers used. In this case it has more flexibility so you can specify the product you are running a task for. Usually the only latest versions of particular products should be used.

Thank You!

Hi,

The amount is limited by version numbers used. In this case it has more flexibility so you can specify the product you are running a task for. Usually the only latest versions of particular products should be used.

Thank You!

Thanks all.

Thanks all.

Hello.

Please clarify, is the issue solved?

Thanks.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.