Jeremy@Credible

Deploying Java 8 32-bit fails [In progress]

I created an installation package using the Kaspersky Lab database, selected Oracle Java JRE 1.8.x / 8.x - 8.0.45.14. I deploy it to a machine and it fails every time. Status Completed with error Operating system version not supported. The 64-bit app installs fine, but the 32-bit does not.

Also, I thought the default java install behavior replaces the existing java if it is the same major version (ie. if you have JRE 8u25 and you push JRE 8u45 it should replace JRE 8u25) but from what I'm seeing it's not doing this. On the machines I've deployed it to you end up with both installed afterwards. Then the vulnerability re-detects the older java and wants to install JRE 8u45 again..

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I created an installation package using the Kaspersky Lab database, selected Oracle Java JRE 1.8.x / 8.x - 8.0.45.14. I deploy it to a machine and it fails every time. Status Completed with error Operating system version not supported. The 64-bit app installs fine, but the 32-bit does not.

Also, I thought the default java install behavior replaces the existing java if it is the same major version (ie. if you have JRE 8u25 and you push JRE 8u45 it should replace JRE 8u25) but from what I'm seeing it's not doing this. On the machines I've deployed it to you end up with both installed afterwards. Then the vulnerability re-detects the older java and wants to install JRE 8u45 again..

Hi,

What product version are you using?

Thank You!

You need the Dev version of Java for it to remove older versions. Deploying Java will just install the new version you will need to create an uninstall

task to remove the older versions. As to why it fails to install via the task for you I am not sure on that..

Hi,

What product version are you using?

Thank You!

Hello,

The KSC Server is running v10.1.249

The clients mostly have v10.2.1.23 (a) but we have a few running v10.2.2.10535

Thanks

You need the Dev version of Java for it to remove older versions. Deploying Java will just install the new version you will need to create an uninstall

task to remove the older versions. As to why it fails to install via the task for you I am not sure on that..

By dev version do you mean the JDK Java Developer Kit? Thats a separate product entirely and we don't need that. In researching the default java install behavior it seems like it used to behave the way I was describing, but at some point Java decided to change it. So I will create a separate uninstall task when I deploy a newer java.

Hello,

The KSC Server is running v10.1.249

The clients mostly have v10.2.1.23 (a) but we have a few running v10.2.2.10535

Thanks

I would suggest upgrading your KSC and Network agents on clients to SP1 version as well as this information is provided by the agents to the administration server.

Thank You!

I would suggest upgrading your KSC and Network agents on clients to SP1 version as well as this information is provided by the agents to the administration server.

Thank You!

Is there a good guide for upgrading server versions? I'm relatively new to Kaspersky.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the article - http://support.kaspersky.com/us/11836#block3

Edited by Jeremy@Credible

Hello,

attach screen shot of error and GSI report, please.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for that info.

Cold you please clarify what account is used to run the task at the host?

Thank you!

It's the one in the log, admin_jeremy.wilmoth

Are you trying to deploy the EXE or the extracted MSI file? The EXE will fail. Extract the MSI file following these instructions.

http://www.74k.org/extracting-java-msi-from-java-exe

Create the MSI package and deploy it.

Create a task to uninstall the older version of java.

I'm trying to deploy the one from the Kaspersky Lab database. It looks like it's the EXE. But the 64-bit one works, and that's an EXE also. I could extract the MSI and create my own package from it, but that defeats the purpose of the database.

Actually, I'm having the same problem -- Installing 32-bit java (jre-8u45-windows-i586.exe) on a 64-bit machine -- results in the task returning "The application that you are trying to install does not support the current version of the operating system on the client computer." This is the same behavior with either a manually uploaded version of the installer or the copy from the database.

Installing manually works fine. Seems like a bug to me.

Actually, I'm having the same problem -- Installing 32-bit java (jre-8u45-windows-i586.exe) on a 64-bit machine -- results in the task returning "The application that you are trying to install does not support the current version of the operating system on the client computer." This is the same behavior with either a manually uploaded version of the installer or the copy from the database.

Hi,

And what product versions are you running?

Thank You!

Hi,

And what product versions are you running?

Thank You!

Currently the latest -- 10.2.434 Patch B

Hello.

This is a known bug of the Java installer:

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8033129

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-7014194

(etc)

These versions of x32 JRE on a x64 system can be installed, but not under SYSTEM account (the way KSC does it).

Thank you.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.