Hello fellow Kasperskynauts,

Kaspersky powerhouse is well known for its demolishing of Trojans.

In another forum I have encountered the name of an anti-trojan called BOclean that seems to have quite a faithful following.

Are there among you who use this proggie and, if yes, do you think this proggie adds something in terms of security to KAV/KISS ( in the anti-trojan department that is).

nasdrowje,

egghead

Hello fellow Kasperskynauts,

In another forum I have encountered the name of an anti-trojan called BOclean that seems to have  quite a faithful  following.

Are there among you who use this proggie and, if yes, do you think this proggie adds something in terms of security to KAV/KISS ( in the anti-trojan department that is).

nasdrowje,

egghead

I have been a BOClean user for years and would not boot up without it. I look at BOClean as another layer of protection with KAV.

Edited by dom424

I have had KAV and BOClean together, no problems between these two. Does it add extra protection? I don't know, never had BOClean detect anything then false positives on my machine. Then again, KAV has never detected anything but FP's as well... :)

On my brothers machine, it nailed two Trojans two years ago (he wasn't using KAV, then).

Long story short: computer security is simple! Simple procedures like being careful with email, don't download warez and pr0n etc. will keep your machine safe.

On the other hand, if you like to live risky, BOClean (or any other program for that matter...) will add an additional layer to your security, but will not be able to safe you.

I have spoken... :)

We have listened,and you are right. :)

I only use KIS with a MVPS hostfile,and I have never any issues.

KIS make it simple to deal with security.But if the person behind the machine is a fool,nothing in this world will help him/her from getting shit on the machine. :lol:

I have heard many good things about BOclean though.

In another forum I have encountered the name of an anti-trojan called BOclean that seems to have  quite a faithful  following.

Egghead,

At one time I was looking at IDS/IPS and other solutions as a complement to a real-time AV app. I no longer think they are worth the effort.

http://www.morgud.com/interests/security/dfk-threat-simulator-v2.asp

One thing of which I am sure. I would not use any IDS/IPS solution that 1) used a polling app (see the link below), or 2) could not protect itself (see the notes about PG in the above link). Since you asked, BOClean did not fair well, either.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.anti-virus/msg/0149d375bcc844bc

In the past year, I have made a concerted effort to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to securing a Windows box. In other words, trying to sift through the snake oil and other marketing BS. I am convinced that a little common sense, a lot of safe hex and a good disk image are all good places to start.

Ron :)

Use BoClean and KIS here too. Have not had any issues that haven't been sorted out by a little knowledge.

As for support, Kevin and Nancy McAleavey seem quite passionate about fixing any issues if you do find them. It has to be a good thing, no matter what you hear out there.

Egghead,

In the past year, I have made a concerted effort to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to securing a Windows box. In other words, trying to sift through the snake oil and other marketing BS. I am convinced that a little common sense, a lot of safe hex and a good disk image are all good places to start.

Ron :)

Hi Ron,

Agreed. I'm practising safe HEX. Some time ago I ran KAV 5, a firewalled router and Giant AntiSpyware I believe it was called as only protection for more than a year . These kept my rig as clean as a church floor.

I am interested in pc security so I added some more proggies; don't think I realy need them. Like to experiment.

I believe in layered defense, standalone proggies (hate suites, including KISS) :wacko: and "less is more".

this is my setup on my main partition:

*firewalled router

*KAV 6

*system safety monitor (paid)

*lookNstop (for outbound protection only)

and I use BootIT NG (can't praise this proggie enough)

If malware succeeds to get on my rig with this setup, it deserves to be there ;)

I'm also using BoClean with KIS. Now the reason is that before using Kis about a year ago, I had another AV which was not top notch against Troyan.

As BoClean is a one time paid Software I just leave it there as there is no conflict at all with KIS but I am not sure if I would really need it now. <_<

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.