Sign in to follow this  
need2knowmore

General question regarding viruses on external drives

Hello all. I have a general question regarding viruses on external media, specifically thumb flash drives. Is it possible, even after scanning with KAV 2014, that there could exist a virus on this thumbdrive, or, it could "do it's thing" before KAV can actually detect it?

Ok, this sounds a little paranoid but here is the deal. I provide people with photos on usb thumbdrives and I got an email from the supplier that a batch may have issues with not being readable or may have viruses (installed from the factory...how's that for nasty) (not every thumbdrive, just possibly the odd one), and that I should not use them and/or let everyone who got one from me know that they may be an issue.

Since I scan everything by default, even blank drives, are they safe? There can't possibly be something on them that KAV did not see or something that jumped into my computer that KAV cannot see or detect? I know this sounds paranoid but I have no idea how these things work. By the way, KAV on my computers regularly perform rootkit scans and I've done a scan of my computer and all other removable drives.

I've seen responses before to the tune of "no antivirus will detect anything" and that's maybe true but not comforting.

I'd appreciate it if someone could drop by here and let me know that everything is ok.

And if it matters, I use win7-64 and Kav2014 and naturally everything is kept obsessively up to date and is running well.

KIS/KAV uses a modular technology of several components to detect malicious threats. Even if the malware is not found right away it will be caught on execution by File-Av and Application Control (auto-classificator).

Keep your systems up-to-date and you should have no problems. Please also read this Support Knowledgebase http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/common

Edited by Whizard

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.