ZLucas

Are multiple update agents ok and how does the hierarchy work? [In progress]

We have about 15 sites on a wan with one central administration server and a server acting as a update agent at each site. Recently some computers at some sites will not update unless you disable policy and update from Kaspersky's servers, they would give corrupt file errors but about %80 of the desktops would not.

The only fix (other than remoting into each computer and running update from kas) I have found is to add our central administration server as a update agent for that site.

My questions are:

A, is it ok to have multiple update agents for each site?

B, how does the hierarchy work for said update agents? Does the first one listed get contacted first and if it is unable to download updates will it move to the next one? or will it check both and attempt to update from both?

Thanks!

We have about 15 sites on a wan with one central administration server and a server acting as a update agent at each site. Recently some computers at some sites will not update unless you disable policy and update from Kaspersky's servers, they would give corrupt file errors but about %80 of the desktops would not.

The only fix (other than remoting into each computer and running update from kas) I have found is to add our central administration server as a update agent for that site.

My questions are:

A, is it ok to have multiple update agents for each site?

B, how does the hierarchy work for said update agents? Does the first one listed get contacted first and if it is unable to download updates will it move to the next one? or will it check both and attempt to update from both?

Thanks!

Hi,

First of all, please check whether the situation gets resolved if you assign update agents manually for computer groups.

Hi,

First of all, please check whether the situation gets resolved if you assign update agents manually for computer groups.

Thanks Evgeny,

We turned off the automatic assign update agent feature early on since we had a file server at each site we wanted to use that. When I added the Administration Server in addition to said file server for each site's update agents the computers that would not update did successfully update.

I don't mind leaving it like that (with two update agents per group) as long as its not wasting network traffic on the network to use both servers.

Edited by Zach Lucas

Thanks Evgeny,

We turned off the automatic assign update agent feature early on since we had a file server at each site we wanted to use that. When I added the Administration Server in addition to said file server for each site's update agents the computers that would not update did successfully update.

I don't mind leaving it like that (with two update agents per group) as long as its not wasting network traffic on the network to use both servers.

I would like to clarify don't client machines getting updated with only 1 manually assigned update agent per group or I missed something?

Thanks Evgeny,

Zach, each endpoint will only use one of the update agents. Specifically the one that is most available. If you have 40 machines trying to use update agents, theoretically there should be 20 going to update agent 1 and 20 going to update agent 2. If update agent 2 is offline or too busy, all 40 will just go to update agent 1.

I would like to clarify don't client machines getting updated with only 1 manually assigned update agent per group or I missed something?

That's how we have had it for the last 6 months since we deployed KES. Each site of between 50-100 desktops had one update agent. This worked great until this week when about %10-20 of desktops at some sites would not update from the agent due to "corrupt" files, most however worked fine. I have resolved the issue by adding 2nd update agents to each site I just wanted to make sure this was acceptable and not going to cause increased network traffic back to the Administration Server (since thats the 2nd update agent added to the group)

Zach, each endpoint will only use one of the update agents. Specifically the one that is most available. If you have 40 machines trying to use update agents, theoretically there should be 20 going to update agent 1 and 20 going to update agent 2. If update agent 2 is offline or too busy, all 40 will just go to update agent 1.

Ok I understand, thank you. I think I will add several update agents at each site then just to avoid this issue down the road then.

Thanks everyone!

That's how we have had it for the last 6 months since we deployed KES. Each site of between 50-100 desktops had one update agent. This worked great until this week when about %10-20 of desktops at some sites would not update from the agent due to "corrupt" files, most however worked fine. I have resolved the issue by adding 2nd update agents to each site I just wanted to make sure this was acceptable and not going to cause increased network traffic back to the Administration Server (since thats the 2nd update agent added to the group)

Ok I understand, thank you. I think I will add several update agents at each site then just to avoid this issue down the road then.

Thanks everyone!

Thank You for the information provided! We are glad to help.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.