minty1978

Block ZIP files from being opened? [Solved]

Hello,

We use Exchange Web Access for our mail, it is delivered over https in a browser (IE9 or IE10, and Chrome on older machines).

Because it is in https, the email contents and attachments are not scanned by our (SonicWall) firewall, and only scanned by Kaspersky when they are opened on the client machine.

We have been hit 5 times by the Crypto Virus as a result of users opening dodgy zip files.

Is there anyway I can use KSC/KES to block a user opening a ZIP file all together?

Regards, Stephen

Hello,

We use Exchange Web Access for our mail, it is delivered over https in a browser (IE9 or IE10, and Chrome on older machines).

Because it is in https, the email contents and attachments are not scanned by our (SonicWall) firewall, and only scanned by Kaspersky when they are opened on the client machine.

We have been hit 5 times by the Crypto Virus as a result of users opening dodgy zip files.

Is there anyway I can use KSC/KES to block a user opening a ZIP file all together?

Regards, Stephen

Hello!

Please kindly clarify: you want all zip files entirely blocked from users? For downloading and opening?

Thank You!

Hello!

Please kindly clarify: you want all zip files entirely blocked from users? For downloading and opening?

Thank You!

Yes that is the case.

I think this will be fine for the majority of our users, they have no need to be opening ZIP files.

Thanks, Stephen

Hello!

You can't block zip files from unpacking itself.

But you can block applications which can unpack archives.

Thank You!

Hello!

You can't block zip files from unpacking itself.

But you can block applications which can unpack archives.

Thank You!

Hi Kravtsov,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you point me in the right direction on how to do that?

I guess I will need to block the default windows ZIP opener, WinZip, and I think some users have jZip installed.

Regards, Stephen

Hi Kravtsov,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you point me in the right direction on how to do that?

I guess I will need to block the default windows ZIP opener, WinZip, and I think some users have jZip installed.

Regards, Stephen

Hello!

Yes, this is correct.

You can check this free online course:

http://support.kaspersky.com/learning/cour...2.98/chapter3.1

Thank You!

Hello!

You are welcome!

Please kindly, do not hesitate to contact us if you are having any questions about Kaspersky products.

Best Regards,

Vitaly Kravtsov.

Hello!

You are welcome!

Please kindly, do not hesitate to contact us if you are having any questions about Kaspersky products.

Best Regards,

Vitaly Kravtsov.

It looks like I am able to block 'other' zip programs, like jZip and Winzip, however if the user just uses windows explorer to open a zip file, there is no way to block that, as I would be blocking far more than just the ability to open zips.

I suppose the only other option is to install winzip on each PC as the default handler for zip files, and then block it....ouch!

It looks like I am able to block 'other' zip programs, like jZip and Winzip, however if the user just uses windows explorer to open a zip file, there is no way to block that, as I would be blocking far more than just the ability to open zips.

I suppose the only other option is to install winzip on each PC as the default handler for zip files, and then block it....ouch!

Hello.

Please keep in mind that file permissions management is not in fact listed functionality of KES.

Therefore, every solution regarding access to non-executable files would be a workaround to start with.

Thank you.

Hello.

Please keep in mind that file permissions management is not in fact listed functionality of KES.

Therefore, every solution regarding access to non-executable files would be a workaround to start with.

Thank you.

Hi Kirill,

Thanks for the response. I think I have cracked it thanks to your 'hint'. Rather than blocking programs that access zip files, I created a protected resource rule for .zip files, so nothing has access to them:

post-511067-1398107215_thumb.jpg

I am beginning to understand the KSC tools a bit more now :cb_punk:

Thanks again.

Hi Kirill,

Thanks for the response. I think I have cracked it thanks to your 'hint'. Rather than blocking programs that access zip files, I created a protected resource rule for .zip files, so nothing has access to them:

block_zips.jpg

I am beginning to understand the KSC tools a bit more now :cb_punk:

Thanks again.

Glad this works for you.

Thank you for sharing the hint!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.