xcore7

Virtual machines license question. and, How to install on VM?

I'm using an iMac that has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in VMWare installed. I'm wondering if these virtual machines require 1 or 2 licences since it is physically only 1 machine?

Welcome. Last I heard, two licenses are needed, because both can run at the same time.

Dual boot is only one license, because only one can run at a time.

Welcome. Last I heard, two licenses are needed, because both can run at the same time.

Dual boot is only one license, because only one can run at a time.

Thanks for your reply. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh and sometimes I test a program before installing it in the "real" virtual machine by making a copy of that virtual machine. (which I delete after testing is done) How does the situation look here?

Edited by xcore7

You can use a 30 day trial on a virtual machine too.

So duplicating the virtual machine will turn KIS automatically into the trial version?

The answer is of course : "Yes" ;-)

Thanks for the information. How about the situation when duplication a virtual machine to test let's say a beta application? Will KIS automatically be converted to the 30 day trial? Do I have to do something before I duplicate it?

Thanks for the information. How about the situation when duplication a virtual machine to test let's say a beta application? Will KIS automatically be converted to the 30 day trial? Do I have to do something before I duplicate it?

There is no automatic convertation. If you duplicate a VM with a commercial license you will see an error about exceeding of allowed computers. You'll be needed to remove your license and activate a trial period.

No, what I suggested is to run your virtual machines in Trial mode, since you turn them over rather quickly.

There is no automatic convertation. If you duplicate a VM with a commercial license you will see an error about exceeding of allowed computers. You'll be needed to remove your license and activate a trial period.

Many thanks. Is this before or after the duplication?

Many thanks. Is this before or after the duplication?

I think you'll have some time to do this after duplication. But I've never tried this myself)

I think you'll have some time to do this after duplication. But I've never tried this myself)

Well I tried it now that way, however after removing the activation of KIS on that cloned virtual machine I'm left with no trial at all and KIS just disabled itself. :blink:

I can't find an "activate trial" button.

Thats quite normal.

You can't activate the trial version if a regular license has expired or was removed.

Create a VM without KAV / KIS. Thereof you can make a copy, install the KL trial and then test your program. As often you want.

Ah ok, but wouldn't that mean that I have to install the entire OS every time I want to test something again, install all the updates, configure it all over again? Isn't there a way that requires less work?

Ah ok, but wouldn't that mean that I have to install the entire OS every time I want to test something again, install all the updates, configure it all over again? Isn't there a way that requires less work?

Possibly just to download the latest version from our website to decrease a size of new updates.

Possibly just to download the latest version from our website to decrease a size of new updates.

Hmm OK, I didn't know that you provide Windows update packs? Or are you only referring to definition updates? Installing all available Windows updates after a Windows installation can take hours, especially .NET updates take forever.

Hmm OK, I didn't know that you provide Windows update packs

They do not. Best practice for Windows VM is to install windows, then install any service packs and updates required from Microsoft via Microsoft Update. Same goes for .net framework. If you need to install a newer version, say 4.5.1 do so.

After all this is done you can then take a copy of the VM or backup image. Use this fully patched and prepared VM as the master. Saves a lot of time redownloading the copious updates over and over again.

They do not. Best practice for Windows VM is to install windows, then install any service packs and updates required from Microsoft via Microsoft Update. Same goes for .net framework. If you need to install a newer version, say 4.5.1 do so.

After all this is done you can then take a copy of the VM or backup image. Use this fully patched and prepared VM as the master. Saves a lot of time redownloading the copious updates over and over again.

Ah OK, thanks. :)

Hmm, I came to the idea to clone my virtual machine, uninstall KIS from the clone and install the trial of Pure on it. It works and was much less work.