Sign in to follow this  
alex5723

Can running Kaspersky melt/explode my CPU ?

I have noticed many times that when Kav 2013 in running a simple scan like Rootkit scan, Critical area scan (I never run Full scan), my CPU's temperature (Intel i5) shot 20-30 degrees up, from the usual 50-55c up to 70-77c. Add a couple degrees and the CPU may melt/explode/catch fire...

I have noticed many times that when Kav 2013 in running a simple scan like Rootkit scan, Critical area scan (I never run Full scan), my CPU's temperature (Intel i5) shot 20-30 degrees up, from the usual 50-55c up to 70-77c. Add a couple degrees and the CPU may melt/explode/catch fire...

Edit : During the scan CPU is 50%. Windows 7 x64 is installed on a SSD so no HDD activity.

Hi...

Answering your question 'Can running Kaspersky melt/explode my CPU ?'

Answer would be no :)

70-80c is a perfectly normal temperature for a cpu operating under load.

If you're unhappy with the temps, I'd suggest cleaning out the fans/heatsink surrounding your cpu of dust to improve airflow, and/or investing in a better heatsink.

Hi...

Answering your question 'Can running Kaspersky melt/explode my CPU ?'

Answer would be no :)

70-80c is a perfectly normal temperature for a cpu operating under load.

If you're unhappy with the temps, I'd suggest cleaning out the fans/heatsink surrounding your cpu of dust to improve airflow, and/or investing in a better heatsink.

None of these can be done, it's a laptop.

Well, I have not seen any reports of Kaspersky causing a laptop CPU to melt/explode/catch fire/emit Higgs bosons or spontaneously play rap music.

You should be all good.

None of these can be done, it's a laptop.

Actually, in the case of a laptop (especially if it is an older one), I'd recommend grabbing a can of compressed air from your local computer supplies shop and using that to unclog the heatsink/fans. Works a lot better if you can take the bottom cover off so you can get full access to the fans/heatsink, but also helps if you're just shooting compressed air through the vents.

There are lots of online guide on how to do this, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself then this service should be offered by any pc repair shop.

Also your i5 cannot be damaged by overheating. They are designed with thermal throttling. So if the temperature remains at the upper safe limit assigned by Intel for too long it will automatically reduce power consumption and clock speed until the core(s) cool sufficiently. If it cannot do this the last step is for the machine to shut itself down.

The compressed air can is indeed a wise investment and does reduce the need for thermal throttling or shut downs. so I echo the above sound advice. additionally though if you purchase one, make sure you read the can carefully. if it says keep upright during usage you must do this. some can't be used upside down and will release coolant liquid into your notebook.

also richbuff missed a critical letter off rap music ;)

Edited by antikythera

Wrap music for doing Christmas presents? :)

We do use the full processing power available, so if you have an SSD, it's fast enough to supply files to the processor and that will heat the CPU.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.