Sign in to follow this  
Armaron.com

STLOG.log file- possible workaround; and slowness, too.

After days of venting and fuming about the force-fed and botched Patch C update, I tried to get around some of the issues while waiting for Patch D on October 29.

The sudden appearance of the SPLOG.log file in "My Documents", and it's constant, by-the-second growth, was one such major pain in the rear.

After trying obvious and simple ways to get rid of it, I found that unlocking the splog.log file caused it to suddenly stop in it's tracks. Kaspersky Pure is still up and running, as is the Password Manager (stpass.exe).

The utility I used is called Unlocker by Cedric Collomb. I'm not sure of the rules about posting referral URLs, but search for unlocker from a site called emptyloop.

Just trying to pass along some help.

Edit: I used version 1.8.7 of Unlocker. I can't speak to other versions.

-RKA

Edited by spam2005@armaron.com

Have you set PWM to "manual start" within PWM's settings? That way stpass will not load at start up. stpass is what's causing the write to file. You can also kill stpass in Task Manager after you log out of PWM then it will cease writng to file.

I have used Unlocker on my old machine and it works great.

Edited by ENIAC 2

Have you set PWM to "manual start" within PWM's settings? That way stpass will not load at start up. stpass is what's causing the write to file. You can also kill stpass in Task Manager after you log out of PWM then it will cease writng to file.

I have used Unlocker on my old machine and it works great.

Thanks, but I actually want to use PWM. I just don't want the burden of an ever-increasing log file and constant write activity. Stopping (or never starting) STPASS is not the goal. This unlock method works for me as a band-aid.

-RKA

After trying obvious and simple ways to get rid of it, I found that unlocking the splog.log file caused it to suddenly stop in it's tracks. Kaspersky Pure is still up and running, as is the Password Manager (stpass.exe).

OK, I'm confused here. When you say you unlocked splog, do you mean that you couldn't open the log prior to unlocking it? Do you have to do this step at every boot?

OK, I'm confused here. When you say you unlocked splog, do you mean that you couldn't open the log prior to unlocking it? Do you have to do this step at every boot?

Generally (you probably know this), a file is "locked" when it is opened for writing, to prevent conflicting writes by other processes. Reading is allowed, and works for me as expected.

There is a utility I have been using for years called "unlocker", which breaks that "write" lock. That seems to prevent STPASS from writing to the file any more.

Yes, one has to do the unlock at every re-boot. However, this is just a work-around to solve the problem with the growing log file. Probably klugy, but no harm, no foul.

I'm trying to solve this problem too because my backup software returns an error when it tries to copy the file while it's updating. If I exit Pure, the backup works okay. I don't like getting out of Pure for my online backup, though. Maybe locking the Password Manager while backing up will help.

If you will run PWM only when you need to access a PW then your system will function as normal. In other words, set PWM to manual start within PWM's settings. Log in to PWM then go to your site and after you log in to the site you can "Lock" PWM then open Task Manager>Processes and end the process "stpass.exe". That is the culprit causing the write to file. You shouldn't have to close Kaspersky Pure completely to update your backups. It's a pain for now but until patch "D" is ready it returns your system to normal. If you have to continuously access several sites then this would not be so practical.

I now this was mentioned as a problem with patch c. Did patch d fix this or is this still a problem. I ask because it is not fixed for me with patch d. Even with PWM locked I still get constant activity to hard drive, I have to kill the stpass process to make it stop. It just continues to write to the spLog continuously nonstop, it reached up to almost 70 mb at one point. I have a SSD and this concerns me greatly. The whole patch c to patch d has seriously shaken my faith in kaspersky and how it was handled. This is not a flame,I am just very corcerned. Is there still a problem or is this normal activity.

I now this was mentioned as a problem with patch c. Did patch d fix this or is this still a problem. I ask because it is not fixed for me with patch d. Even with PWM locked I still get constant activity to hard drive, I have to kill the stpass process to make it stop. It just continues to write to the spLog continuously nonstop, it reached up to almost 70 mb at one point. I have a SSD and this concerns me greatly. The whole patch c to patch d has seriously shaken my faith in kaspersky and how it was handled. This is not a flame,I am just very corcerned. Is there still a problem or is this normal activity.

stovokor

I have an open ticket for the same issue.

Hmmm, Could the D patch be beginning to fail? My machine started this morning (that I first noticed anyway). Writing to splog in C\users\"me"\appdata\local\temp\splogs\splog.log

All of the other former issues seem to be fine though.

Edited by ENIAC 2

Hmmm, Could the D patch be beginning to fail? My machine started this morning (that I first noticed anyway). Writing to splog in C\users\"me"\appdata\local\temp\splogs\splog.log

All of the other former issues seem to be fine though.

Just want to add my concurrence to Eniac 2's report. Same file just continues to grow with the same text over and over again:

20.11.2013 13:17:48.501 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015003) [1]

20.11.2013 13:17:48.514 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) GetRecentAccounts()

20.11.2013 13:17:48.529 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) Requesting accounts

20.11.2013 13:17:48.548 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send >>

20.11.2013 13:17:48.563 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) AMessage.ClassName: TspmGetDBObjectsXml

20.11.2013 13:17:48.581 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) ----------- SendData

20.11.2013 13:17:48.596 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) ----------- ProcessSendResult

20.11.2013 13:17:48.614 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send <<

20.11.2013 13:17:48.629 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) Processing accounts

20.11.2013 13:17:48.656 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) Accounts processed OK

Can this unending repetition possibly be useful?

Just want to add my concurrence to Eniac 2's report. Same file just continues to grow with the same text over and over again:

20.11.2013 13:17:48.501 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015003) [1]

20.11.2013 13:17:48.514 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) GetRecentAccounts()

20.11.2013 13:17:48.529 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) Requesting accounts

20.11.2013 13:17:48.548 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send >>

20.11.2013 13:17:48.563 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) AMessage.ClassName: TspmGetDBObjectsXml

20.11.2013 13:17:48.581 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) ----------- SendData

20.11.2013 13:17:48.596 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) ----------- ProcessSendResult

20.11.2013 13:17:48.614 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send <<

20.11.2013 13:17:48.629 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) Processing accounts

20.11.2013 13:17:48.656 [sTICKY_LOG]<1236> Info (10015024) Accounts processed OK

Can this unending repetition possibly be useful?

How can it be useful? Constant writing to hard drive if you have a SSD like i do, means possibly shorting lifespan of drive.Turning PWM on and off and killing process every time I have to go a website is getting really old. I been doing this since the begining of patch c roll out.

Hi everyone,

When you post about this issue here, please indicate if you have contacted Tech Support, and also please post your tech support number, as indicated in the quote of the important post that has been buried.

Yes it should be fixed in patch D. If no, please, create a request to tech.support and post here the number.

Quote: "Yes it should be fixed in patch D. If no, please, create a request to tech.support and post here the number. "

FWIW, submitted request to support. However I did not attach a GSI yet as I'm not sure what they need.

I will run the GSI shortly for them.

request # 315461485

Edited by ENIAC 2

I am curious. At every reboot, the splog starts fresh. Is the previous data wiped or does the app move it to another log file? The reason I ask is that if it is accumulating, I would like to delete it once this issue is resolved.

OK, AVZ and GSI sent as requested by support email

Yes it should be fixed in patch D. If no, please, create a request to tech.support and post here the number.

Quote: "Yes it should be fixed in patch D. If no, please, create a request to tech.support and post here the number. "

edit: add quote of the important instructions.

Edited by richbuff

It looks like Patch D did not fully correct the issue with Password Manager component traces being left on. We have a bug created for the issue, 608506, and have word this problem will be fixed in the next patch. I do not know when that patch will be available, nor if this will delay having an installer for PURE 3.0 that works on Windows 8.1. We'll keep you posted.

I noticed the same strange slowness over the past few days, after the whole Patch C and Patch D debacle. Applications would take long - 10s of seconds to more than a minute - to launch.

I'm pretty certain it hadn't been that slow earlier.

Using ProcExplorer, I noticed that Kaspersky's "avp.exe" process was consistently using around 30% of my CPU.

Poking around Kaspersky's settings, I noticed this thing called "System Watcher", which I disabled. This immediately brought the usage down to 0.5% !! Suddenly my applications open quickly, like they used to.

So googling around, I came across this forum thread which indicates a chronic problem:

Topic 258277

<edited out a subjective rant>

Hope this helps someone.

-RKA

I noticed the same strange slowness over the past few days, after the whole Patch C and Patch D debacle. Applications would take long - 10s of seconds to more than a minute - to launch.

I'm pretty certain it hadn't been that slow earlier.

Using ProcExplorer, I noticed that Kaspersky's "avp.exe" process was consistently using around 30% of my CPU.

Poking around Kaspersky's settings, I noticed this thing called "System Watcher", which I disabled. This immediately brought the usage down to 0.5% !! Suddenly my applications open quickly, like they used to.

So googling around, I came across this forum thread which indicates a chronic problem:

Topic 258277

<edited out a subjective rant>

Hope this helps someone.

-RKA

Please submit GetSystemInfo 5 utility report.

I'm done sending logs, system reports, and the entire litany of things people want me to send.

I'm trying hard not to be short tempered, or come across rude, but I feel compelled to say this. Kaspersky has been testing my patience with absolutely clue-less tech support staff, and developers who think that their entire user base consists of beta testers. In fact, going through some articles in the beta test forums for Pure 3.0, it's pretty clear that there are many issues raised by smart testers that have been ignored or glossed over.

Patch C, then Patch D, were supposed to fix the 2 symptoms that the majority of users have been suffering. Instead, Patch C was a disaster, and Patch D simply put the system back to the way things were before Patch C.

So, please forgive me if I refuse to send anything. At this point I've already switched my password manager to KeePass, which only took a couple of hours worth of putzing around to make it work. (fortunately I had couple month-old copy of my password database from Pure 2.0 which I could import.

Since Password Manager was the main reason I stayed with Kaspersky since Pure first came out, I think I have now weaned myself off Kaspersky, and will just wait for this license to expire before abandoning this ship

-RKA

It looks like Patch D did not fully correct the issue with Password Manager component traces being left on. We have a bug created for the issue, 608506, and have word this problem will be fixed in the next patch. I do not know when that patch will be available, nor if this will delay having an installer for PURE 3.0 that works on Windows 8.1. We'll keep you posted.

You have not kept us posted, what is going on with the fix. approaching 60 days and still can not use what i purchased. Interestingly I read in another post of said problem and it was replied to by one of the KL team that it would be fixed in the next patch which I thought great, but no it was coming out next year and he did not say when, not great. And then to my surprise I revisited that same post again for any possible update and that comment from the KL team member was removed. WHAT IS GOING ON? I HAVE HAD IT. This great product has been turned into a waste and it is a real shame.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.