MauricePP

PowerPoint add-ins, PPTools add-in problem

Hi,

on Win 7 x64 with KIS 2013 installed, after installing Office 2013 x32 the PPTools powerpoint add-in cause crash on start.

I found in this topic a user with similar trouble related to a KIS bug: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/...6b-cb57797fbb33

""Our developers have confirmed this as a bug - #476973 but unfortunately they were unable to find a workaround to this issue so it will need further checking by them to locate the cause."

Disable\uninstall KIS with removal tool, upgrade to 2014 release or give all possible permission isn't enough. There are some news about?

Thanks

Hi,

on Win 7 x64 with KIS 2013 installed, after installing Office 2013 x32 the PPTools powerpoint add-in cause crash on start.

I found in this topic a user with similar trouble related to a KIS bug: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/...6b-cb57797fbb33

""Our developers have confirmed this as a bug - #476973 but unfortunately they were unable to find a workaround to this issue so it will need further checking by them to locate the cause."

Disable\uninstall KIS with removal tool, upgrade to 2014 release or give all possible permission isn't enough. There are some news about?

Thanks

No. And not high priority due to the only one request to tech.support.

Maybe two request now...

However this "no hight priority" bug seem to affect all Powerpoint 2013 add-in like PPTools (.ppa), so other applications are concerned (MathType, Articulate Studio,...). And maybe is a entire office 2013 add-in problem.

In addiction isn't so easy understand immediately that is a KIS 2013 fault and finally two more troubles:

- people with a lot of software installed have to lost entire days to reinstall all because no recovery with only uninstall KIS

- lost a very good antivirus\firewall and another time to spend for alternative and configure it

Edited by MauricePP

Not all customers as you can see (only you and one other). I think we would have more complaints about this if the bug would be popular.

And not all office - only PPT.

Right, but as I've already told how many people can get to know that is a Kaspersky fault from a specific .ppa add-in error? If you visit Articulate or PPTools support you lose your time with useless tips: uninstall office, reinstall as administrator, reinstall third party software, trusted zone, file permission, disabling other plugins, PPT safe mode, reboot, reboot, reboot and another reboot of PC...

I found the post of the another user after a lot of survey and confirmed the trouble after a virtual machine with only Win, office, KIS and PPT plugin. I think is not so simple and get mad.

The matter is easy: office 2013 is recent and PPT plugins software houses like Articulate or PPTools doesn't kwow about this bug. Simply now advise them and Microsoft that their PPT products maybe have crash with KIS 2013\Powerpoint 2013 configuration installed (with $1,398 of Articulate Studio price, also a single user is important) and ask them to create a FAQ for this bug and recommend to report the issue to Kaspersky Assistance and forum.

Maybe the bug will be more popular after be informed about it.

+1 to this issue. I am running Kaspersky, and I use Articulate 2013 plug-in for PowerPoint and am unable to publish. Thanks for addressing this issue with haste.

Kaspersky support team officially know the issue since 08/2013 (see the link of first post) and classified it as 'not high priority'. Moreover a first report in this forum go back to 03/2013 with another add-in: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=258628

If you use Presenter for working I think you'll waste your time waiting a solution. Only few choices at the moment:

- change eLearning tool like Adobe Presenter

- try to reinstall office 2010

- reinstall all the operating system without Kaspersky 2013

The only sure thing is that you lose time and one licence software money (Kaspersky, Office 2013, or Articulate if you've bought them)

Hovewer, after reading related post on Microsoft forum too this is the summary of this trouble:

- affect Win 7/8 both x32\x64

- affect only Powerpoint 2013

- affect only Kaspersky 2013

- affect only .ppa plugin (like articulate.ppa)

- the problem seem to start not after installation and run of Kaspersky but after its first automatic online update

- the issue remains even if you uninstall Kaspersky 2013 with removal tool

- give all type of permissions in Kaspersky, Windows or Office is useless

Really is so difficult for a Kaspersky expert computer technician find the bug with all this discriminating factors?

Edited by MauricePP

Waiting directly KIS 2015...

I've just installed KIS 2014 to see if the trouble disappear and I've tear my hair out. Set aside many bad reports about performance and internet connection, but the absence of import/export option and the new firewall interface is a punch in the stomach. I often use them with all installed applications configured and with much time saved. Sometimes I 'really don't understand some choices and it's a pity, because KIS 2013 is a great software.

At the moment no good reason to reinstall and reconfigure OS and a lot of software to solve the issue with KIS 2014 (that is a problem too) and only because Kaspersky support team create a bug and is incompenet to reset it.

Edited by MauricePP

This issue exists with Pure 3 as well, but only seems to affect Windows 8.1. My wifes laptop on Windows 8 with Pure 3 install runs powerpoint add ins ok. However, my desktop that is Windows 8.1 and has Pure 3 installed crashes evertime unless I disable all add ons. Uninstalling does not help either, I had to reimage my PC to get it to work again.

If the issue affects latest windows and Kaspersky products too maybe somebody wake up... After spending two weekends to reinstall and reconfigure the big mole of software and updated to Windows 8.1, I'm only happy to have changed internet security and no renew licence. Can't imagine to have restart the whole process again! What a pity. Sometimes I've tried to see some news on Microsoft support (recently Office 2013 SP1 wasn't helpful) but they put the soul to rest too...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/...797fbb33?page=2

I have experienced the same problems with KIS 2014 and PowerPoint AddIns on Windows 7. PowerPoint just crashes. This should be fixed.

I had the similar problem that PowerPoint cannot start up with an addin if KIS 2015 is installed. Word can start up. In my case, the add-in was MathType 6.9a for Windows.

After finding this thread, I uninstalled KIS 2015 Multi Device. But, as MauricePP said in his previous post, the issue remained.

Luckily, I had made a recovery point before installing KIS 2015.

After recovery to the previous point, I confirmed that PowerPoint starts up with the MathType add-in loaded.

I'm using MathType 6.9a, English on 64 bit Windows 8.1.

Office is 32 bit Japanese Microsoft Office 2013 (15.0.4649.1000).

KIS 2015, I downloaded this morning from the USA website. I think it is the latest.

Dear a0mame,

Referencing to bug 476973, we contacted with MS team regarding this issue. Even if problem starts right after K installation, it still not clear if it is a Powerpoint issue or our bug regarding installation procedure. MS team suggested to create a ticket to their support so we can proceed further.

Thanks

There is this topic on Kaspersky italian forum since 03\2013...:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=258628

This user had the same trouble with PowerPoint and MathType 6.9 addin. He found that with KIS 2013 installed and no updates PowerPoint worked fine, but after the first update of KIS ppt crash started. So he supposed that with the first update KIS 2013 modified some rules and he confimed this with a second test on another PC on Win8 x32.

PowerPoint Issue? Very funny... .ppa addins are connected with some eLearning software and many useful tools for Office 2013, so there are much people to use them. If it is a general PowerPoint bug, we would see a lot of angry users.

PS: thanks VenZe for this topic, after KIS 2015 reintroduced export option and a good firewall maintance like KIS 2013 I was thinking to return with this version. But the bug still here! It's a pity. Waiting 2016...

Edited by MauricePP

As a developer employee of a company that creates and publishes application add-ins for PowerPoint, I would like to add more examples of this undesired interaction that is forcing our customers to reformat their main hard drives to remove KIS (and possible variants, see below) so that they can use PowerPoint with application add-ins.

In this LinkedIn thread, you can see the frustration of one user who spent weeks trying to fix the issue before reformatting his drive:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/PowerPoint-...;item=224096244

More recently, today, we had a customer in France who discovered that his new PC had an AV suite on it called Orange AV 8 (from the big French telco called Orange). This too was causing PowerPoint to crash on start up whenever any application add-ins were installed. This includes the one line "Hello World" PPAM add-in we created to try to debug the situation. The customer believes that Orange AV 8 is a rebranded version of the OEM product from Kaspersky. After 3 weeks of investigation, Orange AV 8 removal, trying Kaspersky removal tools, manual registry cleaning, this customer finally gave up and reformatted his main hard drive. After reinstalling Windows 8.1 x64 and Office 2013 (365) 32 bit, he can now run application add-in in PowerPoint.

We also raised this issue on the MSDN forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...m=officegeneral

My question : is there a way to resolve the issue without reformatting a customer's hard drive?

We would like to advise users in our support article : http://youpresent.biz/general-add-in-suppo...add-in-working/

GMARK,

to resolve this issue on my PC I deeply uninstalled Office (FixIt tool) and Kaspersky 2013 (removal tool), also remove manually regedit keys referred to these software, clean registry and system with several software, enable all authorizations in folder and registry with subinacl.exe and try some changes in group policy. NO WAYS! But I'm not a computer technician.

If you haven't a system recovery backup, you have to reformat hard drive and change internet security, or as partial solution you can create a virtual machine and use PowerPoint with plugin inside it (in both case you'll lose time and maybe other money).

If this is a simple bug that you can unistall Kaspersky, ok. Nothing to say, But this bug compromize the ability to full run a widely used software: what is the difference between it and a virus that mess up you system? And in the case of your company the damage would be more relevant because users could find and choose another similar plugin that doesn't use .ppa (see e-learning offers).

Second and fourth posts of this topic are clear: 'not high priority'.

Edited by MauricePP

Hello,

This issue is not solved!!!!

I followed the link provided by GMARK > http://youpresent.biz/powerpoint-kaspersky-crash-fixed/ and checked that my office 2013 is fully updated, my Windows 10 is fully updated, my KIS 2015 is fully updated, Checked several foruns and options BUT MY PowerPoint 2013 + Adobre Presenter 11 still crash after a few sync of Audio and animations. Reinstalled office, reinstaled the Presenter tried several things, and I am more and more concerned and I dont know if this problem still in the KIS domain, but this is last place for crying for help.

Well, I guess that from February till now, nobody from this forum experienced this type of problem??

Welcome. Please see the second Important topic for instructions to download and install KIS version 2016.

Uninstall KIS version 2015 > reboot, then install KIS version 2016.

After you install KIS version 2016, activate with your current activation code > do a databases update > reboot.

Any better with the current version?

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.