Herman Heller

2014 does not start with Windows if exited before previous shutdown.

This is just to inform about my findings about a (big) difference at the start-up of KIS 2014 compared to KIS 2013.

There is a significant difference between computer start-up with KIS 2013 installed and KIS 2014 installed.

With KIS 2013 it was my habit to exit KIS 2013 before closing down the computer (my experience was that sometimes Windows errors came wrt. sudden closure related to KIS). At a new computer start-up KIS 2013 was again there, no problems (so, it started automatically).

After installing KIS 2014 I did the same (exit KIS 2014 before closing Windows) and the result was that KIS 2014 wasn’t there after restart and had to be started manually (so, no start automtically). I removed KIS 2014 and went back to KIS 2013.

Today, I tried KIS 2014 again and noticed that KIS 2014 again was not starting (at fresh computer start) when I exit it before closing Windows.

But ………… when I don’t exit KIS 2014 before closing Windows it starts up automatically, no issue!

So, an earlier setting “exit KIS” is apparently kept at a new restart of the computer. (I also do not notice KIS 2014 in Task Manager start-up items; KIS 2013 was indeed there).

Regards,

HH

Using Windows 8.1

Please inform Tech Support of this issue, and post back with what they say.

Please include your GetSystemInfo report link with your tech support request.

I have a similar issue.

I am running Windows Vista, and I have used KIS for years with minimal problems.

Since upgrading to KIS 2014, I have been having an issue with the launch of KIS 2014 during system startup.

Sometimes KIS 2014 launches correctly during system startup.

However, most of the time the program will not launch during system startup, and I am forced to launch the program manually once system startup is complete.

On these occasions, the KIS icon appears in the system tray and remains visible during the early part of the system startup process. At this point I am assuming KIS is either running or in the process of starting up. As the startup process continues, however, at some point the KIS will disappear from the system tray. When this has occurred, I have checked the running processes following system startup using Windows Task Manager and KIS 2014 is NOT running. On these occasions I need to manually launch the application.

I have tried removing and re-installing KIS 2014 but the problem continues.

Welcome. Please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions are located in the sixth (6th) Important topic.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Update:

Tech Support asked me to create so-called Trace files and to send them to them. I did yesterday. No response yet. I will share their remarks/comment on this forum.

Rgds,

HH

Update (4Nov13):

Tech Support asked me to create several Trace files again last week. Today they asked another Trace file. No final response yet. I will share their remarks/comment on this forum.

Rgds,

HH

I'm unable to locate the results of this issue. I've been dealing with this since I extended my subscription and updated to KIS 2014 about 3 months ago, but only on my Vista machine. KIS works normally on my Windows 7 machine.

The only difference between this person's issue and mine is that, it doesn't matter if I exit KIS or not. It either doesn't start up or, it starts and then disappears. Either way, I have to launch KIS manually for it to run. All my Windows security features are disabled and always have been. The only thing I changed was updating to KIS 2014 from 2013.

Does anyone know what the outcome of this issue was?

Edited by mocean

If you upgraded to 2014 on top of 2013, then please Un and re install Kaspersky 2014: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.

Any better after that? If still no go, please contact Tech Support, and also please post your GSI report.

Update (10Nov13):

Still no final conclusions from Tech Support.

Last Friday they asked me if I had patch c (yes, I have), to restore all settings, to send my new gsi log and to check for *.dmp files (which I had not).

Keep the forum members posted about their response.

Rgds,

HH

Update (12Nov13):

Dear forum colleagues,

I think the Support Team has found the reason for my mentioned observation. My observation was: when I exit KIS, power down computer and starting up computer again, then KIS 2014 is not starting automatically again [has to be started manually].

Today the Support Team asked me to uncheck 'Turn on fast startup' at the power options in Windows 8 (which is the recommended setting in Windows 8) and to check the behaviour.

Result: KIS 2014 is starting up automatically again after shutting it down before powering down the computer. So, the root cause or at least the connection between the observed issue and a Windows 8.1 setting is found, I think.

I suggested that this may also be the reason for other observations/remarks about the KIS 2014 start-up behaviour.

It up to the Support Team if they want to pursue this issue. Since I just replied with my observations, I have not got an answer to that.

Rgds,

HH

Edited by Herman Heller

I have been using KAV 2014 for a few weeks on a Win 7 64 bit machine and when i power up i either get a starting program box (which takes forever) or a yellow icon in the Kaspersky tray saying if i want to resume protection

Resume protection :angry: i can't believe it was off in the first place. This is a serious problem.

If you upgraded to 2014 on top of 2013, then please Un and re install Kaspersky 2014: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.

Any better after that? If still no go, please contact Tech Support, and also please post your GSI report.

I'm so sorry for dropping out of sight. Work, you know.

Anyway, no, I did not install 2014 on top of 2013. I've been through this process many times since I first purchased KIS several years ago. I uninstalled Kaspersky. Rebooted, installed a fresh copy of KIS 2014, rebooted, database update, reboot. KIS intermittently starts with the system and then promptly quits. Sometimes, I note that it's running, but the system tray icon is gone. Other times, the icon is gone and so is KIS.

I'm so over this. I have no time for this. I emailed tech support for a link to KIS 2013. I have no problems with that verson on both my Windows 7 and Vista machines.

Thanks for your help and again, sorry for dropping out like I did.

Edited by mocean

Update (10Nov13):

Still no final conclusions from Tech Support.

Last Friday they asked me if I had patch c (yes, I have), to restore all settings, to send my new gsi log and to check for *.dmp files (which I had not).

Keep the forum members posted about their response.

Rgds,

HH

Sorry I'm so late in responding. Work took over my life for a bit. I admire your fortitude. I'm just far too impatient and too short on time to deal with this any longer. My issue is slightly different from yours in that, I'm not doing anything but shutting down and booting up my computers. KIS shows up and then it's gone. I have to manually start it up. This wouldn't be a problem except, I don't likt the idea that I selected for it to start automatically and when it doesn't, I wonder what other things might be wrong.

For me, it's simple. 2013 works reliably on both my Vista and Windows 7 machines. Therefore, it isn't a problem at my end. I prefer to leave it to Kaspersky to figure it out (I know they will because they're a smart group of programmers) while I live happily with KIS 2013. They can let me know when they have the bugs worked out of 2014.

Please do keep us updated here because I check back looking for solutions...

Thanks.

Final Update (22Nov13):

Dear forum colleagues,

Following my last message of 12Nov13, this is my final update with responses from the Support Team.

Recap - My observation was: when I exit KIS, power down the computer and starting up the computer again, then KIS 2014 is not starting automatically again [has to be started manually].

After sending trace files for various start-up situations, the Support Team asked me at last to test a few power setting (related to hibernation and the fast start-up setting in Windows 8).

My conclusion - they pin-pointed the issue; so, the issue is somehow related to power settings in Windows 8. And …………….. my gut feeling is that other start-up issues (mentioned on this forum) are related to this too.

Finally – The Support Team suggested to close my ticket (and so we did) and on my question “What is your follow-up, how do you proceed on the observations/work on this issue?” they told me they will try to reproduce the situation and if possible that a fix will be applied via a patch.

This message closes my contribution on this subject (unless something special happens).

Rgds,

HH

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.