Mewburn

Kaspersky - Fundamentally Flawed?

Hilarious Richie, I inherited the product at my job and getting over 6,000 machines KAP to work properly is impossible. It's built to use their default settings and gives you the belief that customization for you enterprise is possible but it truly isn't.

Same here. I think it was written this way on purpose:

if(this.lab==TRUE)
  behave;
else if(customer.paid==TRUE)
  go(crazy);

Hilarious Richie, I inherited the product at my job and getting over 6,000 machines KAP to work properly is impossible. It's built to use their default settings and gives you the belief that customization for you enterprise is possible but it truly isn't.

I think the Admin's Avatar on this last page says it all.. :)

av-74050.gif

It is interesting to finally hear about a lot the same issues I have also had with open tickets just getting stale and them requesting the same traces over and over and over.. I wish some of these type of posts were on this forum 9 months ago... :(

Hello,

Actually it supports upgrade even from version 6.0.4.1611. Please have a look at related article (http://support.kaspersky.com/9488).

Did you even read the KB article? I'll quote the important bit.

"Post installation wizard of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows starts after installing on top of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8 for Windows. This will be fixed in the next version of the application, Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows Critical Fix 1."

I'm fully aware that i can install 10 over the top of a previous version, the problem i have is that when you do this the user is then prompted to complete the Initial Configuration Wizard. The end user should have nothing to do with the configuration of an AV client and as the admin i should be able to upgrade AV clients silently like i can in other AV products from other vendors.

Kaspersky have been aware of this issue since 10 was released and here we are in October still waiting on the infamous update that we all keep hearing about.

Did you even read the KB article? I'll quote the important bit.

"Post installation wizard of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows starts after installing on top of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8 for Windows. This will be fixed in the next version of the application, Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows Critical Fix 1."

I'm fully aware that i can install 10 over the top of a previous version, the problem i have is that when you do this the user is then prompted to complete the Initial Configuration Wizard. The end user should have nothing to do with the configuration of an AV client and as the admin i should be able to upgrade AV clients silently like i can in other AV products from other vendors.

Kaspersky have been aware of this issue since 10 was released and here we are in October still waiting on the infamous update that we all keep hearing about.

Hello,

Actually the post was about "you can't upgrade from a previous version of Kaspersky to v.10 Instead you have to uninstall v.8" but Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows can be installed on top of the following applications: Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations version 6.0.4.1611, that I already answered. Here you are talking about different issue that we are aware of and our developers are currently working on it.

Hello,

Actually the post was about "you can't upgrade from a previous version of Kaspersky to v.10 Instead you have to uninstall v.8" but Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows can be installed on top of the following applications: Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations version 6.0.4.1611, that I already answered. Here you are talking about different issue that we are aware of and our developers are currently working on it.

I would hardly call installing version 10 on top of version 8 and having an inactive AV client installed on a PC "an upgrade"

Refreshing an AV client using an in-place upgrade is a bad practice anyway.

Personally, I'm fine with that for major releases, like from 8 to 10. My issue was when it sounded like it was the same from 10 to MR1. Just like with Windows, you shouldn't have to reinstall from stratch just to install a service pack.

Microsoft always recommended to slipstream a service pack then reinstall from scratch instead of simply applying a service pack. It also works for their applications, for Exchange by example installing a Service Pack is not supported since 2010 SP2 (?), and starting with 2013 when downloading a Service Pack you download the full software instead.

Wipe and load works, in-place upgrade doesn't, it is just as simple as that.

+1, I can confirm that "upgrades" are the "perfect storm" for most of issues. BSOD's, disfunction in random components and a large etc. Nothing than uninstallation task (with reboot), and fresh installation using chain task in Kaspersky Security Center.

IMHO Level of issues are really low if you take cares before deployment. :)

Edited by victorm

Sorry but for some environments in-place upgrade is a must. We only use laptop endpoints and our users move in/out at lot. I can't risk uninstalling the AV and then have users leaving for a few days just before the install task kicks in.

Microsoft always recommended to slipstream a service pack then reinstall from scratch instead of simply applying a service pack. It also works for their applications, for Exchange by example installing a Service Pack is not supported since 2010 SP2 (?), and starting with 2013 when downloading a Service Pack you download the full software instead.

Wipe and load works, in-place upgrade doesn't, it is just as simple as that.

I would agree with you 100% in a very small environment. However, once you get out of the small environment the cost to benefit of doing this goes out the window. In those cases, you upgrade and fix the few that have issues....

10, 20, 50 computers, sure, I'll do the slow route of a fresh install.

100, 1000, 5000+, that goes out the window. The thought that I'm going to do fresh installs of the latest versions of anything is insane. I have all the toys to automate the process, but I also have plants that run 24x7 and are very automated....how many millions should I lose so that IT can do a fresh install of an OS? God forbid I do an upgrade and slow down production enough to stop a line at one of our customers. You shut down a customer, they charge you for lost production. You ever see the bills for shutting down Production at GM or Ford? Its much more than my job is worth.

If you are in a big environment (let's say 50K users at least) here is what happens from my field experience :

- You deploy a new OS once every 7-8 years or so. The new OS is being deployed gradually.

- You deploy a new antivirus only when End of Life is near, along with a new master. Should be roughly every 4-5 years.

- All of this is fully automated and done outside of working hours. For plants running 24*7, either they are never upgraded (and that's why I have customers with 2K workstations, or even NT4) because they have no internet/USB access (those are linked to very specific industrial machines) or you have spare machines you can test your master on.

I'm not sure I understand your point - if you try to do an in-place upgrade, it doesn't matter if it's Windows, an antivirus client, or a third-party app - chances are significantly high that something wrong will happen.

And if in-place upgrade isn't supported by the product editor, you will be all alone to try to solve the issue (might aswell look for another job right away).

As for antivirus client, they keep having a deeper and tighter implementation on the OS/hardware side, especially with UEFI and Secure Boot by example, which makes them in-place upgrade even more harder and dangerous.

Feel free to continue this with private messages if you wish.

I'm happy I found this thread since I now feel like I'm not alone in this world. After contacting support about 15 times in less than 2 months of having Kaspersky, I was starting to get the feeling that I was the only person in the world using this software because how else can anybody explain having so many issues on a product that is supposedly renowned? Like many have said here, it really feels like we are beta testing this software. It's just one issue after another... none of them related to actual viruses. On that front, no infections yet and Kaspersky seems to be doing a good job. Problem is, I spend more time trying to make Kaspersky WORK in our environment than I would spend time cleaning viruses from computers with absolutely no AV software installed. That's just not normal.

Every issues I've seen mentioned in this thread and others, we've also had or still have.

Tasks running on the wrong days for example. We have a global task scheduled for a big scan on all of our computers at 7:00pm on Thursday night. However, for some reason on MANY of our computers (more than half), the scan is running on Thursday morning, Friday morning and Monday morning. 3 times a week and during work hours so it's slowing down the computers.

We also have the issue where we can't manage the tasks from the Security Center for some computers (about 6 of them). In the Tasks section of the computers, no tasks have the green arrows even though the tasks ARE started when we look on the actual computers. When I try to start the task on the Security Center for that computer, it just gives a "cannot start the task" error. There's a thread here in this forum about this issue but Kaspersky doesn't seem to know why it's happening.

We also had a few clients who were working fine and then started not working all of a sudden with a licence violation error even though the licence was perfectly valid on the computer and we were far from exceeding our licence numbers. Support had no idea why and we had to completely reinstall the client and then it started working again. Not a big deal but this shouldn't be happening for no reason at all.

Many of our users complaining about their PC being very slow since we switched from Symantec to Kaspersky.

Many software that we use now run incredibly slow and as soon as we deactivate Kaspersky on the computer, everything starts running fast.

I constantly have to add exceptions and rules so that things can work correctly. We've had issues with custom Hosts files on computers being reset by Kaspersky thinking it's a virus, FTP clients who stopped being able to connect, etc. Yeah, a lot of it can be fixed with exceptions or disabling some modules but it's a pain to originally configure everything. It's only been 2 months and we're still constantly working through issues and bugs, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to vent my frustration since many others here seem to be in the same boat. Like the others, I'm anxiously waiting for the MR1 hoping that this will fix a lot of our issues but like many of you I don't have high hopes. It really DOES seem like Kaspersky is run by a few programmers in their basement being overwhelmed by something that is now too big for what they can handle. This doesn't feel like a professional company with a finished product that works as advertised. This feels like an open source software where users are the beta testers and support is slow in fixing the issues.

I'm happy I found this thread since I now feel like I'm not alone in this world. After contacting support about 15 times in less than 2 months of having Kaspersky, I was starting to get the feeling that I was the only person in the world using this software because how else can anybody explain having so many issues on a product that is supposedly renowned? Like many have said here, it really feels like we are beta testing this software. It's just one issue after another... none of them related to actual viruses. On that front, no infections yet and Kaspersky seems to be doing a good job. Problem is, I spend more time trying to make Kaspersky WORK in our environment than I would spend time cleaning viruses from computers with absolutely no AV software installed. That's just not normal.

Every issues I've seen mentioned in this thread and others, we've also had or still have.

Tasks running on the wrong days for example. We have a global task scheduled for a big scan on all of our computers at 7:00pm on Thursday night. However, for some reason on MANY of our computers (more than half), the scan is running on Thursday morning, Friday morning and Monday morning. 3 times a week and during work hours so it's slowing down the computers.

We also have the issue where we can't manage the tasks from the Security Center for some computers (about 6 of them). In the Tasks section of the computers, no tasks have the green arrows even though the tasks ARE started when we look on the actual computers. When I try to start the task on the Security Center for that computer, it just gives a "cannot start the task" error. There's a thread here in this forum about this issue but Kaspersky doesn't seem to know why it's happening.

We also had a few clients who were working fine and then started not working all of a sudden with a licence violation error even though the licence was perfectly valid on the computer and we were far from exceeding our licence numbers. Support had no idea why and we had to completely reinstall the client and then it started working again. Not a big deal but this shouldn't be happening for no reason at all.

Many of our users complaining about their PC being very slow since we switched from Symantec to Kaspersky.

Many software that we use now run incredibly slow and as soon as we deactivate Kaspersky on the computer, everything starts running fast.

I constantly have to add exceptions and rules so that things can work correctly. We've had issues with custom Hosts files on computers being reset by Kaspersky thinking it's a virus, FTP clients who stopped being able to connect, etc. Yeah, a lot of it can be fixed with exceptions or disabling some modules but it's a pain to originally configure everything. It's only been 2 months and we're still constantly working through issues and bugs, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to vent my frustration since many others here seem to be in the same boat. Like the others, I'm anxiously waiting for the MR1 hoping that this will fix a lot of our issues but like many of you I don't have high hopes. It really DOES seem like Kaspersky is run by a few programmers in their basement being overwhelmed by something that is now too big for what they can handle. This doesn't feel like a professional company with a finished product that works as advertised. This feels like an open source software where users are the beta testers and support is slow in fixing the issues.

Could you please post one of your INC numbers?

Tasks running on the wrong days for example. We have a global task scheduled for a big scan on all of our computers at 7:00pm on Thursday night. However, for some reason on MANY of our computers (more than half), the scan is running on Thursday morning, Friday morning and Monday morning. 3 times a week and during work hours so it's slowing down the computers. - Yep, we got this one.

We also have the issue where we can't manage the tasks from the Security Center for some computers (about 6 of them). In the Tasks section of the computers, no tasks have the green arrows even though the tasks ARE started when we look on the actual computers. When I try to start the task on the Security Center for that computer, it just gives a "cannot start the task" error. There's a thread here in this forum about this issue but Kaspersky doesn't seem to know why it's happening. - Yep, we got this one.

Ivan, if you'd like the INC numbers on those items I can provide ours, not sure it will help the Original Poster, but might give some clue as to where to look so a solution can be posted to the forums.

Ivan, if you'd like the INC numbers on those items I can provide ours, not sure it will help the Original Poster, but might give some clue as to where to look so a solution can be posted to the forums.

Thank you Michael, I already know your INC numbers as you have already posted them:)

I wanted to take a look at Eric F.'s incidents.

Altough I would like to mention that even your issues may look the same it doesn't necessarily mean the are the same.

Thank you Michael, I already know your INC numbers as you have already posted them:)

I wanted to take a look at Eric F.'s incidents.

Altough I would like to mention that even your issues may look the same it doesn't necessarily mean the are the same.

Oh, very true, but if they can point toward a common cause then that is something to look toward. it seems odd that so many KES10/KSC10 clients are having the same issues, I would think they are indeed linked in some fashion. As for the INC numbers...I've barely begun to post those ;) there are (unfortunatly) LOTS more that I've had put in to work on.

I'm lucky, our licence runs out in the next month and I'm moving! Since upgrading to version 10 its been a right headache, constantly waiting for a fix which still hasn't come. In the past I've had issues with Symantec Endpoint Protection and now Kaspersky. Looking through the forums I've experienced the same issues as virtually everyone else with 'not scanned in a long time' to very very slow boot up times. Machines with SSD's don't seem to suffer anywhere near those with HDD's but this is only about 5% of my population. I've been trying out a couple of other solutions in preparation and I'm amazed at the difference. An older XP machine which took nearly seven minutes to boot and open IE with Kaspersky installed now boots in less than a minute with Vipre. I've always said I'd never go back to Symantec AV and now its the same for Kaspersky.

Ivan, the problem is that I don't have INC numbers. We just started using Kaspersky in July and so far I've only been using the "chat support" so I don't have INC numbers. Last week, I created our business account on Kaspersky so I could submit tickets through there. I'll start to open tickets for these issues but to be honest, when I see people here who mention having some of these problems for months and it's "still" not fixed and THEY have tickets opened, I don't have much hope that it's going to make a difference. But, I'll do my part and try anyway.

Ivan, the problem is that I don't have INC numbers. We just started using Kaspersky in July and so far I've only been using the "chat support" so I don't have INC numbers. Last week, I created our business account on Kaspersky so I could submit tickets through there. I'll start to open tickets for these issues but to be honest, when I see people here who mention having some of these problems for months and it's "still" not fixed and THEY have tickets opened, I don't have much hope that it's going to make a difference. But, I'll do my part and try anyway.

May I please kindly ask you to post here your INC numbers as soon as you have them?

We will try our best to provide you with timely support.

May I please kindly ask you to post here your INC numbers as soon as you have them?

We will try our best to provide you with timely support.

Ivan, might I suggest something for your support here. People have serious issues sending in and creating cases in the support portal, mostly because it is incredibly time consuming. Both with a slow portal, bugs in the java applet handling in the KES10 client and a timeconsuming repetitive task when you have lots of issues. Why dont you simply create a debug/support mode in the software where you automate and integrate the whole case creation and submit process?

You are a big company and this is a just small piece of code that would in the long run return happier customers.

Ivan, might I suggest something for your support here. People have serious issues sending in and creating cases in the support portal, mostly because it is incredibly time consuming. Both with a slow portal, bugs in the java applet handling in the KES10 client and a timeconsuming repetitive task when you have lots of issues. Why dont you simply create a debug/support mode in the software where you automate and integrate the whole case creation and submit process?

You are a big company and this is a just small piece of code that would in the long run return happier customers.

I'm going to second this....or +1, or whatever you like... When you ask me for logs and traces and dumps and whatever else you ask for, give me one tool that captures all of this at once.

Open Kaspersky, Click on Support, Click on 'Capture Troubleshooting Information' and have your own tool capture everything. Don't make me turn on traces for this, turn on traces for that, capture event logs from these items, capture dumps from here, look for logs over there, sacrifice a chicken to the computer gods and HOPE you gathered the right logs so that you don't get a call the next day saying that they now need this capture, while the error is happening....

I'm lucky, our licence runs out in the next month and I'm moving! Since upgrading to version 10 its been a right headache, constantly waiting for a fix which still hasn't come. In the past I've had issues with Symantec Endpoint Protection and now Kaspersky. Looking through the forums I've experienced the same issues as virtually everyone else with 'not scanned in a long time' to very very slow boot up times. Machines with SSD's don't seem to suffer anywhere near those with HDD's but this is only about 5% of my population. I've been trying out a couple of other solutions in preparation and I'm amazed at the difference. An older XP machine which took nearly seven minutes to boot and open IE with Kaspersky installed now boots in less than a minute with Vipre. I've always said I'd never go back to Symantec AV and now its the same for Kaspersky.

Wow and i was gonna upgrade to KSC 10 , forget about it. There has been so many CF in the past that thousands of people were waiting for (including me) with KSC 9...i can see it has only become worst. Hundreds of threads related to KSC10 failing...

So same here, licenses end in December...am out of here. I had users being pissed at me (including the CEO) for not being able to use his PC and having to kill/reboot it (high CPU, freezes, etc.). Very bad memory, don't want to go through this anymore.

'm going to second this....or +1, or whatever you like... When you ask me for logs and traces and dumps and whatever else you ask for, give me one tool that captures all of this at once.

Open Kaspersky, Click on Support, Click on 'Capture Troubleshooting Information' and have your own tool capture everything. Don't make me turn on traces for this, turn on traces for that, capture event logs from these items, capture dumps from here, look for logs over there, sacrifice a chicken to the computer gods and HOPE you gathered the right logs so that you don't get a call the next day saying that they now need this capture, while the error is happening....

Unfortunately at the moment there is the only one way to collect the required information. I've transferred your wishes to my colleagues responsible for new features development. I will keep you updated, but please have patience and don't expect this feature to be implemented quick.

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really do appreciate it and we will try our best to consider all your feedback on our products.

We have had all of the same issues...including the licensing issue which just recently cropped up. We've pretty much given up on turning in Incidents and usually end up reinstalling. We've been waiting on MR1 since April and it continues to be pushed back. We're not holding our breath for any fixes at all anymore. Kaspersky went from a product that we raved about to one that we can no longer recommend. We, too, feel like beta testers. :dash1:

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.