Peter_

KES10 slowing down computers during scan and update

Hello there, We have about 25 Win 7 computers in the office all running KES10 (10.1.0.867) and we are experiencing huge problems with it. It is slowing down the computers to the point of the OS not responding for several minutes. I figured out that this only happend when either an update is being performed or a scheduled system scan is running. I have disabled all services except the file anti-virus to make sure that is not causing the problems.

What is strange is that the CPU and memory usage stays on a normal level but the computers are responding extremely slow (I was checking processes of all users in the task manager).

We need to find a solution for this as this situation is not acceptable and we will have to remove Kaspersky from our computers very soon if the situation doesnt change. This problem is damaging our business.

Please let me know what we can do about it and if you need further information.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hello there, We have about 25 Win 7 computers in the office all running KES10 (10.1.0.867) and we are experiencing huge problems with it. It is slowing down the computers to the point of the OS not responding for several minutes. I figured out that this only happend when either an update is being performed or a scheduled system scan is running. I have disabled all services except the file anti-virus to make sure that is not causing the problems.

What is strange is that the CPU and memory usage stays on a normal level but the computers are responding extremely slow (I was checking processes of all users in the task manager).

We need to find a solution for this as this situation is not acceptable and we will have to remove Kaspersky from our computers very soon if the situation doesnt change. This problem is damaging our business.

Please let me know what we can do about it and if you need further information.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi,

What is your system configuration? Is it possible to provide us GSI report (GSI - http://support.kaspersky.com/3632) from one of affected machines?

Hi,

What is your system configuration? Is it possible to provide us GSI report (GSI - http://support.kaspersky.com/3632) from one of affected machines?

No problem. Can you give me an email address I can send the GSI report to? I dont want to post it publicly in a forum.

No problem. Can you give me an email address I can send the GSI report to? I dont want to post it publicly in a forum.

You can post it in PM, I am gonna be online today and tomorrow

I have the same problem as well. I use KSC 10 with KES 10 and about 180 users. The big problem I have is that there is no way to schedule when the tasks run on the client from KSC. It would be ideal to have the scans and updates process after business hours. Right now, this isn't possible. I have to manually go to each client and set the scheduled tasks. There has to be a better way.

After digging, I did find that you can only control local tasks by disabling them during the initial deployment of KES10 by using a modified setup.ini file. I'm in the process of testing this solution right now. However, what is not clear exactly is there the setup.ini must reside when using it in a deployment scenario with the Kaspersky Agent and KSC10. The two comments I found are to store the setup.ini in one of these places:

\KLSHARE\Packages\KES_10.1.0.867(1)\EXEC\setup.ini

OR

In the folder where the .msi file for the KES10 package resides. Since I don't have admin access to the KSC, I'm not quite sure where the .msi file resides.

Another thing I don't understand... is everyone references this support article... http://support.kaspersky.com/us/9389 Ok, that't great... but why is there no mention on where the setup.ini file should be stored if deploying via agent using KSC10. Seriously, Kaspersky... you need to hire a marketing and PR person... that is from the United States and speaks English. Among my resellers, they consider Kaspersky the best enterprise solution available... but when the support options are so bad... it doesn't make your product look good.

A business enterprise customer using your product shouldn't have to comb through hundreds of forum posts to find answers...

The second thing that must be done is to configure the policy in KSC10 with the following:

- Endpoint Policy -> Advanced Settings --> Operating Modes --> Uncheck: Allow local tasks to be displayed and managed (except custom scan).

Let's see what happens...

Dear all,

Slowness can be caused by various reasons. We need to investigate each issue individually. Please submit a case with our tech. support if it has not been already done.

I have the same problem as well. I use KSC 10 with KES 10 and about 180 users. The big problem I have is that there is no way to schedule when the tasks run on the client from KSC. It would be ideal to have the scans and updates process after business hours. Right now, this isn't possible. I have to manually go to each client and set the scheduled tasks. There has to be a better way.

If you are using SC10 and KES10, I assume that your Security Center is managing those endpoints.

In Security Center you can edit the tasks to be run on any schedule you like. See screenshot:

post-420198-1381247320_thumb.png

If you click on Advanced, you can also set your computers to WOL and turn off after completion:

post-420198-1381247401_thumb.png

Using this information, you can now have your tasks run when it will impact your users the least. Also, because you are using Security Center, there should be no reason why you need to go to each machine to manage them.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

If you are using SC10 and KES10, I assume that your Security Center is managing those endpoints.

In Security Center you can edit the tasks to be run on any schedule you like. See screenshot:

post-420198-1381247320_thumb.png

If you click on Advanced, you can also set your computers to WOL and turn off after completion:

post-420198-1381247401_thumb.png

Using this information, you can now have your tasks run when it will impact your users the least. Also, because you are using Security Center, there should be no reason why you need to go to each machine to manage them.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

Yes, we are running the configuration that you mention.

Your suggestion is for created 'group tasks' which does work. The issue that I have is with 'local tasks' that are configured when KES10 is installed on the client computer. I have since learned that 'local tasks' can be configured during the install using the setup.ini file... however, in my tests saving a modified setup.ini file in the deploy folder for SC10 (\KLSHARE\Packages\KES_10.1.0.867\EXEC\setup.ini), it doesn't seem to work. The pre-configured 'local tasks' are still configured when the KES10 is pushed out to the client computers via the KES agent. The setup.ini file specifically looks like this for tasks (all tasks are at zero)

[Tasks]

ScanMyComputer=0

ScanCritical=0

Updater=0

Also, the suggestion to uncheck Allow local tasks to be displayed and managed (except custom scan) does not work either.

Any suggestions?

Yes, we are running the configuration that you mention.

Your suggestion is for created 'group tasks' which does work. The issue that I have is with 'local tasks' that are configured when KES10 is installed on the client computer. I have since learned that 'local tasks' can be configured during the install using the setup.ini file... however, in my tests saving a modified setup.ini file in the deploy folder for SC10 (\KLSHARE\Packages\KES_10.1.0.867\EXEC\setup.ini), it doesn't seem to work. The pre-configured 'local tasks' are still configured when the KES10 is pushed out to the client computers via the KES agent. The setup.ini file specifically looks like this for tasks (all tasks are at zero)

[Tasks]

ScanMyComputer=0

ScanCritical=0

Updater=0

Also, the suggestion to uncheck Allow local tasks to be displayed and managed (except custom scan) does not work either.

Any suggestions?

The setup.ini file is used for installation from command line prompt in silent mode or via group policies.

Anyway...

When your endpoints grab a policy from Security Center those local tasks are automatically set to a 'manual' schedule, so those tasks will not run without someone starting them. NOT allowing local tasks to be displayed will remove the ability of your end users to start those local tasks (except custom scan).

Can you please confirm that you have Network Agents on those machines and they are receiving policies? See screenshot below for clarification:

post-420198-1381250373_thumb.png

We were seeing this, but we reduced the size of archive files that we allow kaspersky to scan. our TAM reported that there is a known issue with kaspersky's unarchive engine that doesn't handle large archives. by reduceing the size of file that we allow kaspersky to scan we were able to get past this issue.

Good luck guys!

The setup.ini file is used for installation from command line prompt in silent mode or via group policies.

Anyway...

When your endpoints grab a policy from Security Center those local tasks are automatically set to a 'manual' schedule, so those tasks will not run without someone starting them. NOT allowing local tasks to be displayed will remove the ability of your end users to start those local tasks (except custom scan).

Can you please confirm that you have Network Agents on those machines and they are receiving policies? See screenshot below for clarification:

post-420198-1381250373_thumb.png

"When your endpoints grab a policy from Security Center those local tasks are automatically set to a 'manual' schedule, so those tasks will not run without someone starting them"... this is not the case with any of my endpoints. When KES10 is installed on a client via the agent... the local tasks are pre-configured. Those tasks are: Run Full Scan 3 times per week at 6PM... and the setting to only scan new or changed files is unchecked. Have you ever tried to use the computer when Kaspersky is running a full scan? It's pretty much impossible to be productive. This local task runs regardless of whether KES10 is under a policy or not. I've opened up support tickets with Kaspersky about this and it went no where. They would say... do this... and then close the ticket. Never offer to actually look at our KSC setup or a client.

On a side note... It is frustrating that the knowledge base article for the setup.ini never mentions that it doesn't apply to instances where KSC is used.

"When your endpoints grab a policy from Security Center those local tasks are automatically set to a 'manual' schedule, so those tasks will not run without someone starting them"... this is not the case with any of my endpoints. When KES10 is installed on a client via the agent... the local tasks are pre-configured. Those tasks are: Run Full Scan 3 times per week at 6PM... and the setting to only scan new or changed files is unchecked. Have you ever tried to use the computer when Kaspersky is running a full scan? It's pretty much impossible to be productive. This local task runs regardless of whether KES10 is under a policy or not. I've opened up support tickets with Kaspersky about this and it went no where. They would say... do this... and then close the ticket. Never offer to actually look at our KSC setup or a client.

On a side note... It is frustrating that the knowledge base article for the setup.ini never mentions that it doesn't apply to instances where KSC is used.

AgentStero, you are correct, the local tasks do not go to manual when you run a group task. here is what we had to do:

On a client without the Network Agent (or with Policy Disabled) you go into the local tasks and configure them all to be Manually run. Then go in and save that as a template (config file). Next you go into KSC in the repositories (sorry, I'm at home and can't remember exactly where) and setup the NEW push to use those rules....that said, you have to then reinstall on every client to get them to use this new policy setup.

You should be able to talk to support to get them to walk you through it, or I'll try to give you a better description of it tomorrow.

AgentStero, you are correct, the local tasks do not go to manual when you run a group task. here is what we had to do:

On a client without the Network Agent (or with Policy Disabled) you go into the local tasks and configure them all to be Manually run. Then go in and save that as a template (config file). Next you go into KSC in the repositories (sorry, I'm at home and can't remember exactly where) and setup the NEW push to use those rules....that said, you have to then reinstall on every client to get them to use this new policy setup.

You should be able to talk to support to get them to walk you through it, or I'll try to give you a better description of it tomorrow.

Hello.

Yes, your are correct. More info you can find here - http://support.kaspersky.com/9390.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.